[NetBSD] PX-716UFL or PX-740UF?

vbimport

Hello,

I will finally buy one of these Plextor drives, either the PX-716UFL or the PX-740UF (and post results on the thread I started some days ago). Certainly both drives are good ones. The PX-716UFL has some feature that the mid-range PX-740UF does not have. I want to know if paying the extra amount of money of the PX-716UFL is acceptable for an operating system as NetBSD.

To be more precise, I want to know if the PX-716UFL additional features are useful when using that drive on a Unix (or Unix-like) operating system as NetBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX… or Linux.

Briefly, some of these features can be managed with cdrtools-ossdvd (e.g., PoweRec and VariRec). I want to know if these features that are not available in that tool are enabled by default (or can be used):

[ul]
[li]GigaRec Technology — I am sure, it is not available without support in the data record tool (cdrtools-ossdvd in this case). Not very useful, as GigaRec disks are difficult to read on some CD-ROM drives. :doh:
[/li][li]Intelligent Recording (AutoStrategy, Intelligent Tilt, and PoweRec) — PoweRec is currently supported, what about AutoStrategy and Intelligent Tilt? Are the self-learning technology and 3D laser control technology enabled by default? :confused:
[/li][li]SecureRecording Technology — certainly it is not supported, it requires software to decrypt information in the machines were the disk will be read. Not required as Unix provides some good tools to encrypt data. :wink:
[/li][li]Silent Mode — very useful. Will Silent Mode be supported by default or does it need to be enabled using PlexTools? :confused:
[/li][li]Q-Check — does it need to be enabled with PlexTools?
[/li][li]VariRec Technology — currently supported in cdrtools-ossdvd. :wink:
[/li][/ul]

Installing PlexTools on a computer and using it to configure the Plextor drive either first time the drive is turned on or when a firmware upgrade is performed will not be a problem, but once configured the drive should not require running it again. That drive will be used on a computer that does not run Windows.

In other words, I want to know if some of these features are useful for people that is not using PlexTools. At least Silent Mode would be great (speed is not a requirement for me, running quietly and cold to increase drive life -and minimize headaches- is a good goal).

Thanks in advance!
Igor.

Autostrategy should be enabled by default. Q-Check is a function within the PlexTools app used to check C1/C2/CU errors on CD media and PIE/PIF/POE/POF on DVD media. Silent Mode is not enabled by default.

Silnt Mode:When saved into the drive’s flash memory, the Silent Mode will remain active even after a powerdown of the drive. (Remark from Plextools help file)

So you can save changes to drive in Windows machine and then install it on UNIX one.

Just my 5 cents.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Two Degrees!

Nice to see that AutoStrategy is enabled by default, it seems a useful feature of Plextor drives. I was wrong about Q-Check, I supposed that it was used by the DVD drive to monitor the quality of the burning process (e.g., as a feedback mechanism to AutoStrategy). Silent Mode is a very useful feature, but I guess why it is disabled by default: some customers will worry about the performance degradation when using this mode. I certainly believe that Silent Mode is a big step. :smiley:

Again, thanks a lot for your detailed answer to my question. It helped me a lot to make a decision about the drive I will buy.

Best wishes!
Igor.

Great!

It is very good to know that Silent Mode can be enabled in the drive and it remains active after a powerdown. Another feature than can be used in Unix. :iagree:

You answer has been really helpful, thanks a lot.

Not just 5 cents, but a million dollars! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Igor.