.NET Security Updates Fail

vbimport

.NET security updates fail in WinXP SP2. I searched and found others have same problems with WinXP SP3 and no solutions posted in search results. Windows update keeps prompting to install updates, but updates fail every time it’s tried. I even tried downloading KB979909, KB982168 and KB982524 which are the updates that fail to desktop and tried to install from there, but failure to install persists. Does anybody know a fix for this problem?

[QUOTE=bevills1;2533892].NET security updates fail in WinXP SP2. I searched and found others have same problems with WinXP SP3 and no solutions posted in search results. Windows update keeps prompting to install updates, but updates fail every time it’s tried. I even tried downloading KB979909, KB982168 and KB982524 which are the updates that fail to desktop and tried to install from there, but failure to install persists. Does anybody know a fix for this problem?[/QUOTE]

How about try autopatcher and let it download the files and then try to install each updates individually…to see if that fix the problem. If not then you might want to consider going W7…

Do they have a system update readiness tool for XP like they do for 7 and Vista? If they do you might want to try downloading it as it will check all the files needed for the updates to work and try to repair any broken ones.
It didn’t work for my win 7 install when similar things happened but at least it gave me a error log that got me started in the right direction to fix things.
For most users it works fine as far as I can tell, my registry had 44 things in it that were broken I later found out when a power user made a repair file for me, after that all updates worked again.
You might have similar issues and the tool if available will probably help.

Encountered this issue with several XP SP3 systems on my bench.

No fix at this juncture.

I imagine Microsoft will correct this at some point in the future.

All .NET versions were uninstalled and then reinstalled after which updates installed with no problems.

Well that’s good to hear, sometimes it’s just a simple fix. It seems the SUR tool only is available for Vista and Win 7 so it wouldn’t have been any good to you anyway and they probably don’t want to make it easier for people to keep using XP rather then spending some money to upgrade to 7.
I ran XP from the first release until just before X-mas when I saw my friend running a RC of 7, he said it was stable and fast and it looked nice so I picked up a new drive and upgraded.
I still have my old boot drive with XP working in case I need it and I also installed XP mode which seems to work great in 7 provided the version you use supports it.
It really is a nice OS if you ever decide to upgrade.