Net pirates outsmart record labels, music industry losing grip

vbimport

I just posted the article Net pirates outsmart record labels, music industry losing grip.

tyfach submitted an article on the BBC News website. According to the article, the music industry is alienating its own customers with their anti-piracy measurements, something we have said many…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5539-Net-pirates-outsmart-record-labels-music-industry-losing-grip.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5539-Net-pirates-outsmart-record-labels-music-industry-losing-grip.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The more these kind of articles are exposed to the public the more the public will become aware of the idiocy of the music industries attempts to stop it. It’s nice to see that the BBC can report sensibly unlike a lot of other journos and media circuses. The music industry is on the run and they will either have to adapt or die fighting change.

either they adapt or die. or, they imprison everyone and force us to buy CDs on a monthly basis or else they torture us with CAT5e and copies EAC and CDex :wink:

To late for them, they already put the gun to their head and pulled the trigger. Big music companies were needed by artists for promotion, mass production and sales. With the advent of computers, writers and the internet, artists can form a small team and do it themselves… Big selling artists will form their own studios, lesser selling artists will form co-operatives. The movie industry will be slower to move toward this although this last decade has seen an increasing amount of smaller independant companies popping up… RIAA MPIA get out yer dinosaur suits…:7

The best thing about the music industries anti piracy campaign, has to be the free advertising they have given the P2P products. File sharing will continue to grow as long as these guys give the software credence. The more they talk the more people will learn about it, and human nature being what it is it will continue to grow.

The last sentence of the article pretty much sums it up, IMO. Why would anyone pay for MP3’s when you can get them for free? If they were charging for songs in a lossless format at high download speeds, then that might attract some interest. However, that would be a costly venture and would make it very difficult to offer a large amount of material. Not so easy, is it? A lot of people are criticising the record labels/industry, but aren’t really offering any realistic business models :wink:

Not that I have anything against Kazaa but nobody ever mentions gnutella which is what I use. And I’m not saying it’s better because I can’t validate that, but I as a gnutella user I feel left out. so for the record I’m simply stating I’m a gnutella user so I don’t feel so left out.