Nero's non-recognition of new burners

vbimport

Last week after having suffered for some time with erratic performance from a 18 months old Sony 820 burner, I decided to change it / them (second drive was only a ROM) for a pair of Pioneer DVR-115B models.

My problem is that Nero recognises them for everything other than burning, as when attempting to burn a project I get the “No DVD compatible recorder detected” warning, this being coupled to a statement that you can enable DVD based projects by checking the “Enable image recorder for all supported media types” in the application preferences.

My question is, where can I find this application preferences selection box? as I have searched but failed to find it.

Nero being used is Nero 6 rev 6.65W version.

You probably need to update your Nero version. Did the version you currently have come with your old Sony or other burner?

Thanks for your reply Arachane, and yes! I suspect you are possibly correct in what you say, as I managed to find the section I was seeking under “file” in Nero burning ROM SE, however I now get the message that “this version of Nero does not support non-Sony devices” so it looks like I will have to either purchase another pair of Sony’s, which I did not see an abundance of advertised hence the reason for me purchasing the Pioneers, or alternatively I could use some other burning programme, something I dont really want to do as I have been using Nero for video editing for about the last two years and found it really excellent once you get to know its little peculiarities. (which I still keep finding)

Well, there are a number of free options, so no need to swap drives or get your wallet out just yet :smiley:

Here are a few:

For general burning duties:

CDBurnerXP (despite the name, it’ll burn both CD and DVD)
DeepBurner Free
ImgBurn

For movie file conversion:

DVDFlick - will convert different movie file formats to DVD

For audio CD creation from music files:

Burrrn - I use this myself :slight_smile:

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some, but give one or two a try and see if they suit your needs :slight_smile:

BTW…the 115D’s are lovely drives, in your shoes I’d either spring for a new copy of Nero, or use something free. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JB38;2122760]Last week after having suffered for some time with erratic performance from a 18 months old Sony 820 burner, I decided to change it / them (second drive was only a ROM) for a pair of Pioneer DVR-115B models.

My problem is that Nero recognises them for everything other than burning, as when attempting to burn a project I get the “No DVD compatible recorder detected” warning, this being coupled to a statement that you can enable DVD based projects by checking the “Enable image recorder for all supported media types” in the application preferences.

My question is, where can I find this application preferences selection box? as I have searched but failed to find it.

Nero being used is Nero 6 rev 6.65W version.[/QUOTE]

You may have to upgrade your Pioneer firmware.

Arachne - Thanks for the links, as I may have to resort to using one of these facilities for future DVD burning.

The problem I have with the present situation is, that unless I power up my Sony 800 external burner before opening Nero I cant get into an open project I was editing, as you cannot pass the stage where the screen message of “no DVD compatible recorder detected” is displayed, this being immediately before the “edit video” screen comes on.

I have sent an e-mail to Nero explaining the situation, and asking if its indeed the case that Nero will cease to operate if the Sony brand burner it came with is changed for another brand, I hope not! but I feel it will be the case.

TCAS - I will be trying as suggested, as I dont particularly want to be forking out for a Nero upgrade, as the excellent editing / titling facilities obtainable from the bundled version of Nero is quite suffice for my requirements.

Good luck with Nero, but I also have a nasty feeling your current version is tied to your Sony drives :iagree:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2123719]Good luck with Nero, but I also have a nasty feeling your current version is tied to your Sony drives :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Yes I think so too, and of course quite understandable, however I will report on what they say in their reply.

Just to finalise this posting, this morning I received an e-mail from Nero support stating as was suspected, that Nero bundled software is locked to only operate (as far as burning is concerned) with the brand of DVD writer it came with, and this is why Nero wont recognise the Pioneer burner that I purchased to replace the 18 months old failed Sony drive, this being the device that Nero had came bundled with.

I have downloaded the trial version of Nero 8 and it (as expected!) instantly recognises the Pioneer’s, however the extra facilities that Nero 8 provides is far in excess of what I require for editing / titling etc, so I think the least costly way out of the problem is to reinstall my Nero 6 and purchase another Sony burner and see how that goes, albeit that the model of Sony will be different from my failed 820, so I hope that doesnt cause any problems or I might have to cave in and go for a Nero upgrade.