Nerolinux locks up after erasing cdrw

vbimport

I’m having a really annoying problem with Nerolinux when It’s about to start a burn after erasing a cdrw disc on Ubuntu Hardy. The problem is that the application is unresponive. I have to force it to shut down. I’m also at certain times not able to relogin into Gnome after having logged out. I’m just met with a black screen and a cursor. Rebooting fixes at least that problem.

I tried some other apps like K3B and Brasero. Brasero seems to handle cdrw erasing and burning just fine but K3B has almost the same problem as Nerolinux. The common thing between the burns made with Nerolinux and K3B are UDF as Brasero is not able to use UDF.

Nerolinux is otherwise working great with UDF on both standard DVD:s and DUAL layer DVD:s.

Nerolinux version: 3.1.1.0 x86_64
Burner: Pioneer DVR-215DBK firmware 1.18
Disc: Verbatim 4X CDRW for audio rerecording

Thanks for reporting… I will see if this behviour can be checked on our 64 bits machines.

I can report that I have the same problem with 3.5.0.1. It may be something with the Hardy beta. However It’s very close to release.

I forgot to say that the same problem appeared with my previous IDE burner. Now I have a SATA burner. My previous burner was a NEC ND-4571.

It seems that it is possible to erase the disc manually then burn on it without Nero locking up.

Hummm… could you reproduce the issue also with 3.5 and your SATA burner?

Well I have done that :). I’ve had this SATA burner for at least a week. Conclusion: Burning just after erasing (when you for ex. burn an image and it asks you if you want to erase the disc) fails with both IDE and SATA.

edit:

Not before the issue was reported… Sorry.

I’ve had the same problem with my Pioneer burners (108 - 112L - 115D) and I’m using Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 64-bit. Using 3.5.0.1.

Ok. So we know that this is not distribution specific.
1 good point :slight_smile:

Not much news going one here lately. Any information on progress regarding this issue? Also was wondering about the missing plugin for the 64-bit version. Any news on that?

I think we figure out what was wrong… Our developement team just discovered a memory corruption inside a thread.
Just for confirmation, it was hanging after “Caching of files started” message?

Well it locks up right after the disc gets erased and it complains that the disc is not empty.

Version 3.5.1.0 is out. Should normally fix this issue.

Thanks for the update but the problem is still present even after reboot.

Ok… Sounds really strange then. So let me summarize:

• Recorder: Pioneer DVR-215DBK firmware 1.18
  • Disc: Verbatim 4X CDRW for audio rerecording

Could you also tell me which chipset do you have -and a lspci output would be great- and the jumper settings on your recorder ? (master, slave…) Also could you check which kind of cable you are using (40 or 80 pins) ?

Forget what I said about IDE stuff. Seems to be SATA right ?

Yes It’s SATA. I’m on a DFI Lanparty nforce 4 Ultra-D.

lspci:

razor1394@basestar:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev a2)
00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a3)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a3)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
01:06.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04)
01:07.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID Controller (rev 50)
01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
01:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7900 GT/GTO] (rev a1)

I think this has something to do with Ubuntu:s implementation of GVFS because Nerolinux also crashes when deleting too many files from the file browser.

Seems like it wasn’t gvfs as I switched over to the old gnome-vfs and both the crashes and freezes are there. I’m wondering if anything is wrong in the system as Firefox beta crashes too. I’m not thinking hardware-wise but more like a need of a fresh install.

We have a nforce4 based motherboard in our QA. So I will ask them to give it a try and come back to you if something bad happens.
Just some more precision, I know that some chipsets are associated with an additional SiliconImage SATA controller: I was just wondering which plugs did you use for your HDD and you recorder…

The SLI edition of this motherboard series has an extra controller but this one only has nforce4. I’m also having a VIA VT6421 pci card but nothing is connected to it.

I have switched to Sabayon x86_64 3.5 loop3 and the problem is not present there even with 3.5.0.1. Nerolinux erases and writes right after. There are also no sg* warnings at the startup.