NeroCmd burn DVD-RW

vbimport

Cant finalize DVD-RW

I’ve read all the threads on this forum. But still could not solve their problems…
I have successfully burn CD -RW. The disc is designed as a multi-session, could finalize it and continue. With DVD to finalize the disc does not work, I can append data

I use these parameters to create a new disk and its finalization

–write --drivename d --dvd --booktype_dvdrom --dvd_high_compatibility --real --iso DVD --verify --recursive --no_user_interaction --disable_eject --no_error_log

And these to end(finalize) multisession disc

–write --drivename d --dvd --booktype_dvdrom --dvd_high_compatibility --real --import --iso DVD --verify --recursive --no_user_interaction --disable_eject --no_error_log

But the result is the same, you can write data.

My task is to use NeroCMD. So suggestions to use other programs can not consider

HELP:bow::bow::bow:

I don’t use Nero much & I’ve never used it from NeroCMD .

You posted you “burn CD -RW” & then “Can’t finalize DVD-RW” .
Are you trying to finalize a CD -RW or a DVD-RW ?

Problem with DVD-RW only. I mean that cd-rw burns ok.

That will help someone that may know.
I will see if I can find some information but I probably won’t be much help since I have never done what you are attempting .
Also my version of Nero is old version 7.

This might not be correct but you can try it.
Add " --close_session " when you finish each session.

This is what I found is supposed to “finalize” but your command line already doesn’t contain the command suggested to leave out .

Removing the --close_session option does finalize the burning of a DVD

So maybe if each session is closed & then " --close_session " is then removed .
Possibly the DVD will finalize.

This parametr close write session, so disk is continue. For finalize cd-rw, for example, you need remove --close_session. I read some topics, thats must working for dvd too… But…

I found this about one of the settings you are using .
I think you should usually leave it out.
–dvd_high_compatibility
This is what it does:

LIGHTNING UK!

There is an option in the MMC spec for when you close (finalise) a DVD plus format disc.

You either close with minimal radius (30mm), or you just close it at the current size.

The drive does all the padding and it says it’s done to increase compatibility with read only devices.

This is on page 306 of MMC5R03C.PDF which can be downloaded from www.t10.org

It pads a track to 1GB if the track is smaller.

The NeroAPI PDFsays you cannot finalize DVD+RW discs; you can only close sessions. Maybe you cannot do it on DVD-RW?

Why does a DVD+RW media stay open even if I configured the NeroAPI to finalize it?
DVD+RW can not be finalized in the usual meaning. And they also do not support real multisession like CD-R/RW.
The NeroAPI always adds the information that is required to continue DVD+RW. (Nero will only allow this if the user did not choose “Finalize”)

(NeroCMD uses NeroAPI). It could be the same for DVD-RW.

If you just want to prevent writing, you can try to use

--use_allspace

to fill the disc completely. This does not lock the disc, but it might help.

Or copy the disc to an ISO image, then write with Disc At Once (DAO) instead of TAO (Track At Once).

[QUOTE=Albert;2752555]The NeroAPI PDFsays you cannot finalize DVD±RW discs; you can only close sessions. [/QUOTE]

So if i remove --close_session my DWD-RW will be open?

[QUOTE=Albert;2752555]
But for DVD±R (write once) media, you can finalize the disc.
[/QUOTE]
For DVD-RW & DVD-R I’ll have to use different settings?

[QUOTE=Albert;2752555]
If you just want to prevent writing, you can try to use

--use_allspace

to fill the disc completely. This does not lock the disc, but it might help.
[/QUOTE]

I did a test record. Text Document - 1 kb. When recording the following parameters:

to continue

–write --drivename d --dvd --use_allspace --real --import --iso DVD --verify --recursive --no_user_interaction --disable_eject --no_error_log

For the new DVD

–write --drivename d --dvd --use_allspace --real --iso DVD --verify --recursive --no_user_interaction --disable_eject --no_error_log

As I understand it, the idea was to fill the entire surface of the DVD, so that when you next record attempt was a mistake such as “disk full” or “not enough disk space”

Obviously this solution is not suitable if the record goes a small amount of data. I’m guessing that this solution works since what is the minimum volume, for example 1GB, because i can not imagine how the 1 kb file will be spread out over 4.7 GB.:confused:

With the ISO has not yet been tried. soon answer

[QUOTE=cholla;2752541]I found this about one of the settings you are using .
I think you should usually leave it out.
–dvd_high_compatibility
This is what it does:

It pads a track to 1GB if the track is smaller.[/QUOTE]

Already tried it, the effect is the same:disagree:

[QUOTE=Albert;2752555]
Or copy the disc to an ISO image, then write with Disc At Once (DAO) instead of TAO (Track At Once).[/QUOTE]

Parameter like DAO is installed by default, I have not found a special setting for recording in DAO (source - Manual).
You offer the data is written to disk, convert to ISO file? And then “mydata.iso” write to disk?
I tried to just add --create_iso_fs
no effect:doh:

[QUOTE=Albert;2752555]The NeroAPI PDFsays you cannot finalize DVD±RW discs; you can only close sessions. [/QUOTE]

@ Albert , I looked at the NeroAPI.pdf but didn’t read it all. I didn’t find any information that stated you cannot finalize a DVD -RW .
For a DVD +RW I think it is correct that you can’t finalize.

The NeroAPI.pdf in the link is v6.6.01.
The NeroAPI.dll in the version of Nero 7 I have is v7.8.5.0 .
Shouldn’t there be a later NeroAPI.pdf version to check ?
I couldn’t find one. But the one posted seems it would be out of date.

@ funny_fatty , I suggested leaving --dvd_high_compatibility out because it should make any track you write 1GB even if it is like this one: “I did a test record. Text Document - 1 kb” .

I also believe you should be adding “–close_session” to the code for all tracks but the last track.

[QUOTE=cholla;2752582]@ Albert , I looked at the NeroAPI.pdf but didn’t read it all. I didn’t find any information that stated you cannot finalize a DVD -RW .
For a DVD +RW I think it is correct that you can’t finalize.

The NeroAPI.pdf in the link is v6.6.01.
The NeroAPI.dll in the version of Nero 7 I have is v7.8.5.0 .
Shouldn’t there be a later NeroAPI.pdf version to check ?
I couldn’t find one. But the one posted seems it would be out of date.

@ funny_fatty , I suggested leaving --dvd_high_compatibility out because it should make any track you write 1GB even if it is like this one: “I did a test record. Text Document - 1 kb” .

I also believe you should be adding “–close_session” to the code for all tracks but the last track.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for double checking that, cholla. I’ll fix my post. :slight_smile:

You would THINK there would be an updated version, but… I’ll have to try to search for one again. An updated version surprisingly didn’t immediately pop up when I did a Google search. :doh:

& I agree with your suggestions (though I’ve never used the software myself, so it’s all a guess to me).

[QUOTE=funny_fatty;2752569]Parameter like DAO is installed by default, I have not found a special setting for recording in DAO (source - Manual).
You offer the data is written to disk, convert to ISO file? And then “mydata.iso” write to disk?
I tried to just add --create_iso_fs
no effect:doh:[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry; I meant “track at once” (TAO). Is there a flag for TAO?

[QUOTE=Albert;2752586]I’m sorry; I meant “track at once” (TAO). Is there a flag for TAO?[/QUOTE]

Yea --tao for track at once.

I tried to use nero burning rom v14
The program itself offers either erase the disc, or import an existing session. Even if recording with Nero 14 is not set the flag “create a multisession disc” (supposed to finalize it) you can still add data …
In the end, I attribute it to the impossibility finalizing DVD:eek:

@ Albert , I also tried Google search before I posted to find a newer NeroAPI.pdf .
No luck for me either .

In the past I’ve used Nero 6 & 7 . It’s been a long time now since I have.
Even then I used the Nero GUI not NeroCMD.
I’ve used other programs from command like ffmpeg for example .
So using code in a command window is not foreign to me.
One of the more challenging ones was h2cdimage which is written in German.
Now I use what is the GUI for h2cdimage IsoPuzzle.
I actually like it better .