Nero9 versus AVS4YOU... which is better?

I’m debating between buying Nero9 versus AVS4YOU. I’ve looked at reviews of both and AVS4YOU seems to have more problems: half the people say they have no problems, the other half say they can’t get it to work. I had and liked Nero6.6, but now I’ve built a new box and put 64-bit Win7 on it, so my old Nero6.6 won’t run on it.

The primary things I need to do with this software are:

• back up .JPG’s and .AVI’s to CD’s and DVD’s,
  • burn .MP3’s of the Steve Dahl podcast to CD-RW’s, and
  • create slide shows to play on my home DVD player.

It wouldn’t hurt to be able to convert between various video file formats and I think that Nero9 has a “corrupted file fixer” utility that I wouldn’t mind having. Also, I have some DVD’s I’ve created from Hi-8 video tapes… I wouldn’t mind copying them directly, but I have imgburn, which I can use to create an ISO image and then burn that to another disk, so I have a two-step way to do it.

Which do you think is better or is there something even better than those two?

Thanks.

korz

In my personal opinion, it all depends on how many of the resources in Nero you will use, or need. I really do not know much about AVS4YOU but I do know that it installs things besides AVS4YOU. I am sure if you google what you want to do with these programs, you can come up with a better choice, this is just my humble opinion now so try them, they all have free trials and see for yourself.:iagree:

alan1476…
Thanks. I have tried the file conversion utility of AVS4YOU. It worked, but wasn’t outstanding.

I’m used to how Nero6.6 worked… I liked that I could verify whether a burn was successful and that I could control the speed of the burn (I used to always use a slightly slower speed than the disks were certified for and got less than 1 coaster in 20 burns.

I guess I could check for “slide show” and find a free utility that will do that for me. I’ve heard rumors that ImgBurn will copy files to a CD or DVD, but I’m not familiar with that function… I have only used it to create an ISO image and to burn an ISO image to a disk.

It would be nice to save the $49 upgrade for Nero or the $59 cost for AVS4YOU, because money is very tight now…

I’m going to try using ImgBurn and find an inexpensive slide show making software separately. I can get by with WinXP’s built-in burning utility, but on my 64-bit Win7 at home, I’ve been unable to successfully burn a good disk simply by copying files to my D: drive folder and then hitting the “write these files to CD” as I can with WinXP. Maybe the driver I have installed is not happy with 64-bit, but that is question is for the hardware forum. Also, I need to get the models and driver version of my burners before I can post that question.

Imgburn will handle all of your burning needs with ease. As for slideshow software http://download.videohelp.com/tin2tin/ and/or http://www.photofilmstrip.org/1-1-Home.html (German website but you can select English for the program). For converting there is Format Factory, Avidemux, Super, etc. All freeware. Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

I read, on several sites, that Super was found to contain a virus or trojan. False positive? Maybe. I just wanted to mention that since you brought up using Super for file conversion.

Thanks.

It all depends on where you download [B]Super[/B] from, I never had any problems with it.:wink:

Both Nero9 and AVS are decent software and provide good results (I have them both), here my 2 cents. :wink:

I have found Nero9 to be superior for a number of reasons, it seems to fuction better with less crashing. Obviously it is more focused on a specific task and overall does a better job. :iagree:

AVS4YOU is a suite, it does more. But it has 2 major downsides, first it crashes from time to time and the 2nd more serious issue, sometimes it won’t work and will fail software authentication. If you are a user that changes your hardware (swaps drives, adds or deletes) the software will complain about being installed on more than 1 computer. It will then stop working and invalidate your license. At that point your dead in the water an the complete AVS4YOU suite is useless until you can contact them to get it reset. :confused:

This apprears to be a known problem that AVS just can’t or won’t fix.

I can honestly say the edge goes to Nero9 (and I end up with less coasters)

Well, I own avs4you and iit is a great program. It is just that when we bought it there were no restrictions on how many times you could download it to a new computer. A lifetime subscription, and now after 5 years they tell us we can’t put it on a new computer without buying it again. It is a great program. I also own Nero 9 and didn’t get as much out of it as I wanted. so it depends on what you want to do. I edit videos and make videos from jpeg. and put sound to them. I take out background noise from videos. Avs4 you is the better program.

[QUOTE=korz;2504933]I’m debating between buying Nero9 versus AVS4YOU. I’ve looked at reviews of both and AVS4YOU seems to have more problems: half the people say they have no problems, the other half say they can’t get it to work. I had and liked Nero6.6, but now I’ve built a new box and put 64-bit Win7 on it, so my old Nero6.6 won’t run on it.

The primary things I need to do with this software are:

• back up .JPG’s and .AVI’s to CD’s and DVD’s,
  • burn .MP3’s of the Steve Dahl podcast to CD-RW’s, and
  • create slide shows to play on my home DVD player.

It wouldn’t hurt to be able to convert between various video file formats and I think that Nero9 has a “corrupted file fixer” utility that I wouldn’t mind having. Also, I have some DVD’s I’ve created from Hi-8 video tapes… I wouldn’t mind copying them directly, but I have imgburn, which I can use to create an ISO image and then burn that to another disk, so I have a two-step way to do it.

Which do you think is better or is there something even better than those two?

Thanks.

korz[/QUOTE]

I think they both are overrated and bloated, and there are much better programs at much lower cost that do the same job and do it better.;):wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2685212]I think they both are overrated and bloated, and there are much better programs at much lower cost that do the same job and do it better.;);)[/QUOTE]

couldnt agree more