Nero with InCD vs. DirectCD

While I am something of a “cdfreak” (like to burn audio cd’s), I am not a cdgeek! So excuse, please, if my questions reflect my ignorance. I had never had cd burning issues with Roxio ECDC 5 Platinum and Win98, but when I bought a new XP Pro system with ECDC Basic bundled, my luck ran out. Skipping all the details, suffice it to say I’ve given up on ECDC and just bought Nero 5.5.

After a “clean” (per Roxio’s directions) uninstall of ECDC, I found I could not read files copied to CD-R’s, CD-RW’s or DVD-R’s using DirectCD. I have voluminous data stored on CD’s and DVD’s (including DVD-RAM, which I can still read), so I want to regain the ability to read these and read/write files copied to disks from here on.

Actually, I thought XP had the capability for drive letter access and a UDF reader, so I don’t understand why I can’t still see these files.

Anyway, I know I can download Roxio’s UDF reader, but will it cause conflicts with Nero?

And, I think I can reinstall DirectCD as a stand alone app, but I’m uncertain wheter it will conflict with Nero.

I believe InCD does not write to CD-RW’s (probably not to DVD-RAM either?), so that’s out.

I know Nero has Easywrite Reader, and I understood that it has a different reader than the one built into InCD; is that correct, and would it solve my problem and give access to my files written (including CD-RW and DVD-RAM) using DirectCD?

Also, I’ve read many posts here about unreliability of packet writing and recommendations to just use Nero’s multisession. But that’s not as convenient as drive letter access in Explorer, for day to day drag/drop of files, is it?

Keep in mind that, while there may be ways to make packet writing safe and reliable, I don’t want to be married to this computer, and I really do not yet have enough CD/DVD expertise to tweak everything just right to make it work.

So, I guess my bottom line is “what is my best bet for using Nero and retaining ability to read/write CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RAM disks, including those already written with DirectCD?”

I really would appreciate some advice from the experts here, and thanks in advance.

There shouldn’t be any problem running directCD with Nero, as long as you don’t have InCD too. Be sure to turn off XP’s native burning application.

InCD writes to all RW discs CD/DVD, and reads them too

Thanks for the help. Is this done via properties > recording > uncheck “enable CD recording on this disk?” or is there something else involved?

I notice that this is not checked now, and when it is I still cannot copy files to the CD-RW. How do I get XP’s integrated CD burning feature operational?

Thanks for the help. Is this done via properties > recording > uncheck “enable CD recording on this disk?” or is there something else involved?

to turn xp native burning off go to control panel>administrative tools>services then scroll down until you see a service called “IMAPI” then disable it do not set it to auto

I notice that this is not checked now, and when it is I still cannot copy files to the CD-RW. How do I get XP’s integrated CD burning feature operational?

leave it unchecked your burning programs will take care of your cd writing abilities

Slayerking,

In Services, for IMAPI, the options are start, stop, pause, resume and restart - and all but start are grayed out.

The “status” is blank; “startup type” is “manual.”

It appears my IMAPI is already disabled.

Also, I wrote:

You wrote:

>leave it unchecked your burning programs will take care of your >cd writing abilities

I didn’t make mayself clear before, but my thought was that if I could use XP’s CD burning then I would not really need to install DirectCD or other drive access app. What do you think?

Thanks.