Nero, which version? Is 9 worth it?

vbimport

9.0.9.4b

These are the versions I have. Which should I use. I’ve had trouble with 8. Slow and burnt a few coasters. First time, in a long while and I don’t like it. I used to use 7.5.9.0 it never gave me trouble expect with dual layer. I don’t care about the other crap it comes with. I just care about the Burning software and discspeed. I am wondering if the version even effects the burn quality and compatibility. With 8.3.6.0 50% of my dvd-r’s failed with a write error. Anyone care to give me the heads up? version 8 has got me bummed, so should I try version 9?

I use the latest version of Nero 8 (8.3.6.0) and I have no problems. That doesn’t mean others might not have discovered issues. For me and my situation, that version works, it meets my needs and I love it.

If you go through Nero’s Forum, reports are that Nero 9 is terrible and is so similar to 8 that there is little reason, if any, to upgrade. With all the flaws, upgrading is foolish.

http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showforum=2

[B]Update: [/B] I read through your post again. What media are you using as a failure rate of 50% is not right? There are many factors which can lead to a failed burn but something is definitely wrong and I can’t believe that the high failure rate is attributable to 8.3.6.0

I was planning on posting on this same topic when I found this thread. I’m using the next to final version of Nero 6 (6.6.1.5) which I’ve used for years with little problem. I mostly use the burning rom component; I also use Nerovision, Showtime & Nero Media Player. The 1st 2 are the most important to me.

I briefly played with an early version of 7 when it was released, & felt is was a step backwards.

My question is, would I find 8 or 9 to be a significant upgrade over 6?

If what you are using meets your needs, why upgrade? One reason could be Vista compatability, otherwise, save the money.

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2172796]If what you are using meets your needs, why upgrade? One reason could be Vista compatability, otherwise, save the money.[/QUOTE]

New features?

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2172834]New features?[/QUOTE]

Begs the question will you use it and the new feature be enough to justify the purchase??? Also the O/S platform would determine the version you get as Nero 6 won’t work on Vista as others have mentioned.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2172953]Begs the question will you use it and the new feature be enough to justify the purchase??? Also the O/S platform would determine the version you get as Nero 6 won’t work on Vista as others have mentioned.[/QUOTE]

I’m running XP on 2 boxes & 98 on 1. I know anything over 6 won’t run on 98.

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2172796]If what you are using meets your needs, why upgrade? One reason could be Vista compatability, otherwise, save the money.[/QUOTE]

Vista run Nero6 just fine.

What useful features (IF ANY) does 8 &/or 9 have in the burning rom & Nero Vision components that are not in 6?

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2174846]What useful features (IF ANY) does 8 &/or 9 have in the burning rom & Nero Vision components that are not in 6?[/QUOTE]

I came to this thread for the same reason looking for upgrade advice. I have been using Nero 6 for a few years, but my burning needs have changed to a focus of burning downloaded AVIs to DVD so I can watch them on TV. It seems that the Nero Vision 3 add on can not accomplish this. I have Nero 7 with Vision 4 at work and it does a fine job. I installed Nero 9 on my friend’s computer and found the install terribly slow and annoying, but the AVI to DVD conversion was fine. So I am wondering if I should upgrade to 7, 8, or 9 or just stick with 6 and use a third party (ConvertXtoDVD)?

You could try Dvd Flick, FAVC, (free) or ConvertXtoDvd to convert & then use ImgBurn, (free) to burn to Dvd.

I would say go with Convertxtodvd 3 plus why are you using imgburn to burn when convertxtodvd will do it all in one process is besides me??? Keep you old Nero 6 as that from most part is the best version so far and I have nero 6.6.1.15a and will keep it going. If 6 still works keep it and go with ConvertXtoDVD 3 for your avi to dvd conversion. Plus what I don’t get is the word ConvertXtoDVD says it all what it is suppose to do although it’s a paid program you get what you paid for and it is a well worth program.

I have versions 6 and 8 (I am planning to bypass v. 9) and I can say that Nero 6 is still very competitive.

Nero 8 provides new features like working with High Def content (extra plugins = extra $€), or LightScribe. Some drives and/or disks works faster with it too (Nero 6, of course, has not been updated in a while).

But if you don’t need the above, stick to Nero 6.

While they update very infrequently I also like Winaviconvertor for authoring dvd’s from avi. Oddly, I’ve found some avi files do better with convertxtodvd, while others do better with winavi.

Oh to reply to the first question from jeff53404. I use Sony16D1 DVD-R 16x. Normally I burn at 16x or 8x depending on importance. I’ve NEVER EVER had a failed burn from that media before. But after 4 fail disks; the sonys and some dual layered Memorex ones, I decided to revert back to version 7 and things returned to normal :confused: It doesn’t make sense to me either.

Ah to merlin666, if you think 9 runs slow avoid 8 at all costs it was much slower than 9. I’ve never had version 6 because I’ve always wanted the features from later 7. I can’t tell you if you guys would tolerate it over 6 but it beats the hell out of 8 or 9. Not to mention 7 shouldn’t cost much at all new.

Tattenbach 7 has the lightscribe feature. I am not sure what video stuff it has I never got into that much.

[QUOTE=Matthew12222;2180342]…

Tattenbach 7 has the lightscribe feature. I am not sure what video stuff it has I never got into that much.[/QUOTE]

Well thanks for the tip but I already knew about it. I upgraded from 7 to 8.

Version 8, perhaps wrong appreciation from my side, seemed faster than 7. It also supported one of the BD plug-ins (If not wrong it could record to a BD disk)

I have not tried 9 because of the negative reviews and because basically does not offer anything new compared to v. 8. Perhaps speed as you said …

Tattenbach, it may run faster on vista, but it certainly is awful on a 32bit system. I assume that 85% of people are using a 32bit os. But nine for sure is a bad, for any cost; just like 8 but a bit faster.