Nero Vision using 98% CPU

vbimport

I am trying to convert avi files and burn them using nero 8 vision. I have an HP pavilion with amd 2.08ghz 1g ram 120gHD Hp940d dvd burner using winxp. all drives in dma ultra 2, scout disabled, norton anti-virus disabled. I am getting 100% cpu and nero freezes in the chapter and preview modes, I can’t even get to the burning screen. Any other suggestions?

Look in the “Windows Task Manager” to see what process is using all the cpu cycles.

Nero Vision is using 98%.

Conversion can be a CPU intensive process, so that may be the cause. Although I never used Nero Vision, so don’t know offhand what it does CPU-wise normally.

Are you converting avi to dvd format?

What mode in vision are you using to do this? Capture, make a dvd, ect.

Yes, and I have already un-installed…(what a pain) and re-installed Nero.

What mode in vision are you using? Capture to hdd,make a dvd, ect.

I have checked other sites, and come across many other people who have been experiencing this same problem. I’m wondering if it is a fixable problem or if it is just the way it is, or maybe if my computer doesn’t have the abilities to handle the tasks I want it to?

Split Nero problem to new thread from the Living Room :wink:

it is normal it takes most of the CPU, if it wasn’t you would complain the process is slow.
you can try alternative product where you can define the CPU priority such as ConvertXtoDVD from VSO. but for me it doesn’t sound like a bug.

it is normal it takes most of the CPU, if it wasn’t you would complain the process is slow.
you can try alternative product where you can define the CPU priority such as ConvertXtoDVD
For me it doesn’t sound like a bug, and it is even normal it works this way.

I’m using make dvd/dvd-video and burning only directly to disk. I can deal with slow but cpu goes to max and freezes in chapter and preview mode before I even get to the burn screen. It’s not possiblr to burn at all. AVI file will not even “play” in preview mode.

I personally wouldn’t bother with the preview mode. I’d just convert and then burn. I’ve never used preview modes, not even when shrinking to a backup from an original DVD. :slight_smile:

If it doesn’t play in preview mode it doesn’t burn.

Do not use direct to disk it is using all your memory, that is why it is freezing.Save it to your hdd first then burn it.

The avi files are already saved on my hdd and I am using the “add video files function” Is this the same or different?

That is the right way, just let it run it will take a about 3 min to transcode 1 min of video. And your CPU usage will be very high (100%) for the whole conversion.

So I’m just getting in a hurry??? Why do some files (both avi, same resolution, time, size etc) run immediatly and some freeze?

To Arachne I don’t actually “use” the chapter or preview modes. I’ve just noticed that if the file will not play in these it will not burn at any speed.