I know most of you have moved on, but I wanted to provide the solution that worked for me with Vision Express 3. The problem was that the program would crash as soon as it began to transcode, and just disappear. Most times I would have to stop the process in the Task Manager.
On a fresh install of the OS I was still having the problem. I tried numerous codec packs and nothing seemed to work. Here is what I did to get it working:
Uninstalled all codec packs
Cleaned registry with ccleaner
Clean registry again with ccleaner
Install Combined Community Codec Pack
Install AC3 Filter
For me, the next time I started NVE3, put the file in, bingo! Started recoding and has not stopped as of this writing. Yippee! Hope this helps someone else.