Nero slows down system while burning

vbimport

Howdy,

I own a NEC 1100A dvd-burner and use the bundled Nero Software (latest version). The problem is:

For example while I burn a Backup DVD (2,4x speed) the system performance decreases extremely. It takes ages to open the Internet Explorer or any programs. I observed, that this does not occur at the beginning of the burning process but approximately after about 50%.

I tried several configurations. For instance, I decreased the ultra-buffer size to 20 MBytes - no success. On the other hand, WinOnCD 6 does not show such problems.

My system is configured optimally:

Athlon XP 1900+
GA7DX-C
512MB DDR-Ram PC 266
2x IBM 60GB HDD Raid0
Ultra DMA enabled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

did u check device manager to ensure that the dvd burner has DMA enabled?

Yeah, DMA is enabled for all devices.

Originally posted by easy-going-man

For example while I burn a Backup DVD (2,4x speed) the system performance decreases extremely. It takes ages to open the Internet Explorer or any programs. I observed, that this does not occur at the beginning of the burning process but approximately after about 50%.

I can’t help you much except to say that I experienced a similar problem with my Sony DRU-500AX on an Intel P4 system (WinXP SP1, Asus P4PE motherboard using Intel 845PE chipset). The symptoms were very similar. It would start out okay, then bog down a few minutes in to the burning process. The difference was that I saw it in all my burning apps, including DVD Decrypter in ISO Write mode, and RecordNow DX, if I remember correcly.

One question: When the problem is happening, what is your CPU usage like? In my case it was very low (like 5%) but the HD would be thrashing like crazy, and that was causing everything to slow down (Even getting the Start menu to come up would take like 5+ seconds). The problem seemed to be worse when burning large files (e.g. a VIDEO_TS folder or multi-gig ISO file).

I reinstalled WinXP and the problem went away. At first I thought the problem was in my ATA drivers (Intel Application Accelerator) but then I reinstalled them and it was still fine. About the only thing I can think of was that it was some kind of driver conflict between Nero and RecordNow. Now that I think of it, I never reinstalled RecordNow this time around, so maybe that was the culprit.

If CPU utilization is high, it’s a DMA issue, if it’s low, it’s a hard drive issue. Assuming your backup is being written to HD or a temp/cache file, it’s entirely possible that a badly fragmented paging file could cause this issue, or the entire HD is fragmented really bad. The best fix for this is a format and re-install, but something like Diskeeper can also work wonders.

Howdy!

First of all thanks for your replies.

The CPU utilization during the burning process is very low. In addition, my hdd’s are properly defragmented. In my case, it must have something to do with the hdd cache or something similar.

On the other hand, it is strange that these performance problems do not occur when I use WinOnCD. I can even run games while WinOnCD is recording. I burned EXACTLY the same files as with Nero - no problem with WinOnCD. Only Nero and Alcohol 120% are affected by this issue.

Furthermore, I already have a pretty new installation of Windows XP. I use the latest drivers and bios for my Silicon Image raid controller. It might be a waste of time to format my hdd and re-install Windows XP + Service Pack.

Do you have any other ideas?