Nero showtime takes over many file types

updated nero last week and see the new “showtime” took over many file types like:

avi, ac3, ifo, vob, mpeg, mp2, m2v, mp4, and more i haven’t found yet.

what kind of crummy crap are they pulling i mean there aren’t even choices to allow me to undoe this, yes i know how but no reference at all to this anywhere by nero.

CRIPES! I’ve just noticed the same thing! :eek:

I also had the same problem and you can not fix this from Nero but it can be fixed. This is what you do: Open up windows media player and go to the tools menu. Go to plug-ins (this will open another box) come down to options. Then go to file types and check off the ones that you don’t want Nero Showtime to play. Then click “apply” and “ok” and you’re done. No more problems. Now do you see why Nero doesn’t tell you this? They are in competition with Microsoft’s media player. Take care.

Originally posted by Herb56
I also had the same problem and you can not fix this from Nero but it can be fixed. This is what you do: Open up windows media player and go to the tools menu. Go to plug-ins (this will open another box) come down to options. Then go to file types and check off the ones that you don’t want Nero Showtime to play. Then click “apply” and “ok” and you’re done. No more problems. Now do you see why Nero doesn’t tell you this? They are in competition with Microsoft’s media player. Take care.

sorry there buddy but not even close.

first some of the file types like *dats are not playable from windows media player…

it goes a bit deeper than your help but thanx anyhow

I’m haveing the same problem. Except it has totally taken over my Xvid files. I can no longer play them with anything but Nero Showtime, and it does a horrible job too. I’ve tryed uninstalling it, but that does nothing. I think that you have to go into the registry and delet then reinstall the codecs. I know it to be Nero Showtime because I don’t have any problems on my notebook with the files, and the only difference is that my desktop has showtime. Does anyone know were the codecs for it are in the registry?

Those SOB’s I’m never using any of there software that isn’t for burning agian!

What happens if you change the file association? Right click the file, go to properties, and change the “opens with” to whatever program you want to use?

I always thought it was mint when a video program tried to take over a .dat file. You can use MS treak it. Under autoplay / handlers just delete showtime.

When you install, it gives you a choice of associating or not associating the files, why don’t you just click on “unselect all”?

Sorry, just noticed this thead is two years old. The last couple of versions of Nerovision give you the option I mentioned.