Nero sets DVD-R Book Type to DVD-ROM

Using a NEC 3500 with Hernie’s 2.17 and DataWrite Classics 8x (FUJIFILM 03).

Whenever I burn a data DVD in Nero (only tried data so far) the log shows “Book type automatically set to DVD-ROM.” As far as I’m aware this isn’t possible and shouldn’t be happening so does anybody know what the problem is?

Thanks.

It is not possible, that seems to be a Nero bug (you could check the discs with Nero CD-DVD speed or DVDinfopro though, and see what booktype is shown). Besides, you should disable Nero auto booktype if you have auto-bitsetting firmware (e.g. Herrie’s 2.17) installed, like explained here.

Nero booktype settings should look like this for NEC users with auto-bitsetting firmware:

I also get that message whenever I burn a DVD-R. I was assuming that Nero was trying to set the book type but that it would not be successful since DVD-Rs have their book type set at the factory.

Thanks, InfoTool shows that they’ normal DVD-R’s when burnt and I adjusted the recorder settings as per that screenshot.
One other question, what is “DVD high compatibility mode…?” I had that checked until now and Nero help doesn’t explain it.

Found this in a FAQ: http://www.burnersoft.com/dvdcd/help/index.html?faq.htm

What is “DVD High Compatibility Mode”?
The DVD High Compatibility Mode is used to aid compatibility with certain DVD drives and players (by padding the disc with dummy data to a minimum of 1GB), but it will greatly increase the burning time. You should enable this option only if you encountered incompatibility issues with some DVD drives/players.