Nero Replacement: suggestions

vbimport

I have finally uninstalled Nero 7, after more than a month of constant crashing re-installing and general time wasting…Im now convinced its just not’ fit for purpose’…here is my Nero thread
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=207971

So…What works better?..I would like people to suggest alternatives for DVD creation…Here is my wish list:

Fit-to-Disk
Flexable Menu Creation
Quality/Accurate re-coding
No source file import problems(accepts all video formats)
Video Editing

Im basically looking for a working version of Nero 7, in terms of Nero’s advertised features. It seemed I could do everything I wanted…except it didnt work.

I dont mind using more than 1 program to do what I need, as long as it works…some free software I tried had terrible GUI’s or source import problems…Adobe Premiere, like Nero, looked the part but again didnt deliver

Many people just use Nero for actual burning and use more appropriate tools for editing, authoring and shrinking. Suggest you do the same, as there is no one program that can do it all well. You already have a very good burning tool, keep it. I don’t even install all the Nero video programs, too bloated.

For all-around editing, authoring and shrinking in one program, most folks will recommend Ulead. Ulead will also burn. I use TMPGEnc-Author 1.6 for authoring and various things for editing. DVDShrink is still be best thing around for quality shrinking. If you’re importing AVI or other formats for editing and conversion, Ulead VideoStudio 10+ is excellent.

How about…Nero 6? :smiley:

Such a tool doesnt exist yet.
Used AviSynth so far?

Ulead came, saw and kicked ass…Its like a rock solid version of Nero…So Far!

Tried the same problematic DVD project in Ulead, and it worked very well, Ulead did everything that Nero claims to do…and then some, sure it hung on me a couple of times…mostly due to other processes I had running, but was easily recoverable.

Also Menu creation is easy and flexable.

Im so happy I dont have to use NERO. Its fitting that this software is named after a dead Emperor…

A couple of questions, for people to give opinions on:

1)It took 7.5hrs to create the project .ISO, Although I did have it on double pass,
Is this the reason why people say other recoders are better?, do they mean time or quality, I guess what Im asking is will other programs recode better than Ilead(video quality)?

2)There wasnt exatly a fit-to-disc feature on Ulead, so I tweaked the bitrate till it fitted on 1 disk, All other video settings were on max, res etc…The bitrate in the end was around 4700…is this the best way to do this…in terms of maintaing quality?

3)Im doing everything on Ulead…then burning the output ISO to disk using ImgBurn, 2.1.0.0…can anyone suggest a better burner than this?

Thanks for everybody who fed back on this, specially the dude who flagged Ulead

I let Ulead create whatever size disc it wants, then if needed, shrink it with DVDShrink. I leave Ulead set on VBR - 9000. If you’re converting AVI to DVD, the 2-pass option is probably best, but it is SLOW to be sure. If you’re working with MPEG, 1-pass is probably fine, that’s what I use. 2 pass will run at around 0.25x here, 1-pass at about .5x real time. It all depends on your processor and what else is running.

Just use Nero for burning, that’s what it’s good at. No need to create an ISO, Ulead will make a set of files for you that you can burn. Might save a little time this way. Needless to say, Ulead will also burn.

ImgBurn is about the best there is. As before it’s not necessary to create an ISO image as ImgBurn will burn directly from a Video_TS folder.

ImgBurn is an excellent burning program, but it doesn’t do any of the Video recoding and authoring tasks that the Original Poster is interested in, so ImgBurn is only a small part of the solution.

You’re right but the question I’m addressing was:-

3)Im doing everything on Ulead…then burning the output ISO to disk using ImgBurn, 2.1.0.0…[B]can anyone suggest a better burner than this[/B]?

I let Ulead create whatever size disc it wants, then if needed, shrink it with DVDShrink

As you can probably tell, Im relativley new to 'DVD creation, Can you help me understand the advantage of doing this:
Im thinking that DvdShrink is reducing the VBR in order to achieve the desired size, which can be done easily on Ulead, Does re-coded video look better on dvdShrink…or something else?,

Limiting the initial bitrate will make a smaller file, this is your current approach. Making the initial AVI to MPEG bitrate higher will give more to work with, and those scenes that require a higher bitrate will have one after shrinking. DVDshrink will remove redundant bits all through the movie, while keeping the max bitrate the same. Always use 2-pass VBR in the initial AVI-to MPEG conversion. So yes, Shrink lowers the bitrate where it can be lowered, and keeps it higher where needed.

Thats pretty cool, just one thought, cos most of my projects will contain several movies, and will therefore need some reducing/recoding at some point, although not too much I dont want an obvious loss of quality between the ‘source’ and ‘output’ files

Can DVDshrink reduce any size of DVD project to a standard DVD disk size?
Im thinking how do I know what size to make the DVD projects in Ulead so that:

Dvdshrink can reduce the project to normal DVD disk size
+
Maintain optimum quality

DVDShrink cannot do miracles. As a very general rule, variable bitrate movies can only be shrunk to about 80-90% and still retain max quality. (using all the quality settings). However, it can vary a lot with individual movies. GIGO. A film that is already over-compressed or has marginal image quality will not shrink much, and the opposite case is also true.
Constant bitrate video can be shrunk a lot, even down to 60%. It also depends on your monitor. Large, high-res monitors will show the differences more than smaller or low-res ones.

For truly small file sizes, you need to go to MPEG-4 and a MPEG-4 compliant player. But then you also lose the niceties like menus and DVD-video compatibility with other players.

DVDShrink cannot do miracles. As a very general rule, variable bitrate movies can only be shrunk to about 80-90% and still retain max quality. (using all the quality settings). However, it can vary a lot with individual movies. GIGO. A film that is already over-compressed or has marginal image quality will not shrink much, and the opposite case is also true.Constant bitrate video can be shrunk a lot, even down to 60%.

Thats interesting,
Apart from making an ‘educated guess’ at the ‘source project size’, is there a way of avoiding the following scenario:

create DVD project in Ulead
Shrink the project in DVDshrink
Output file from DVDshrink still too large to burn to single DVD disk(4.7Gb)

It also depends on your monitor. Large, high-res monitors will show the differences more than smaller or low-res ones.

I watch the source files on my PC, the DVD authoring is for friends, who would watch them on on a variety of PAL TV’s/stand-alone DVD player’s, so mainstream compatability is important

As long as you stay close to a 2 hr limit on content, you should be fine. There’s a lot of trail and error involved.