NERO, RECORDNOW and DVD2ONE

I have ‘backed-up’ about 20 movies so far to DVD-R using DVD2ONE. Of those 20 or so, I have used NERO (ver 55107) on about 3, and I have noticed that sometimes, towards the end of a movie there might be ‘skips’ in video and audio. This happened noticeably in ‘The Bourne Identity’. I have a Pentium4, 1.7 GHZ, 512 MB RDRAM, 80 GB HD, WIN XP HOME, SONY DRU500A. I usually playback my DVD’s on a DAEWOO DVG3000N stand-alone player. All my DVD-R’s are TDK 2X DVD-R.

This ‘skipping’ problem does not seem to happen with RECORDNOW MAX 4.5, and i have burned about 17 movies using this, with seemingly no problems. I bought the ‘full’ version of RECORDNOW MAX online, choosing not to use the DX version that came ‘free’ with the SONY DRU500A.

But, for a number of reasons, I do not like RECORDNOW:-

1. My system seems to slowdown after using Recordnow. A reboot usually cures this (problem does not happen with NERO).

2. RECORDNOW does not give an accurate ‘time remaining’ (esp. when using a 2x DVD-R) for the DVD burning process (again no problem with NERO).

3. ‘Wizard mode’ in Recordnow does not tell you what ‘speed’ the dvd-r is burning at. (yet again, NERO gives you a pretty good report, even in ‘wizard mode’.)

4. Recordnow updates seem to be few and far between. How can i be sure they are taking FULL advantage of the new Hardware and the drive firmware ? (once again, NERO updates are on average about once a month)

5. I suspect that some of the newer ‘backup’ software eg ALCOHOL, might potentially be conflicting with RECORDNOW , hence some of those probs above. NERO is usually on the ball with working around conflicts.

6. RECORDNOW ejects the tray after burning AND verifying. If you have several small children running around, this is an accident waiting to happen, that will either result in damage to your expensive burner or the child. I see no option to ‘turn off’ this behaviour. Again, no such problem with NERO !

I have also noticed that although NERO claims that the new 555107b should cure some of these and other similar problems, the DVD2ONE author still DOES NOT RECOMMEND NERO on his website. I hope NERO does something soon.

One question. When using NERO, is it better to use ‘wizard mode’ or do it the ‘hard way’ ? If not wizard mode, then what EXACTLY do you need to do ?

Thanks

++++++==================++++++++

UPDATE:- Feb 18th 2003:

Great News ! The new version of DVD2ONE directly supports ‘COPYTODVD’ a DVD Burning Program. No more messing with various settings in NERO, RECORDMAX or anything else! Just clik and go ! It makes perfect ‘burns’ that are supposed to playback on most players ! Now if only he can incorporate a DVD-DECRYPTER somehow !

You will however have to purchase COPYTODVD separately…but at $20 US dollars …its not too bad.

dont use nero for dvd burning… it even says so on the dvd2one website… if you’ve got recordnow max, use it… you might have to reboot, but it looks like you’ve got a speedy computer there, should only take a minute or two.

i am using nero 5.5.10.7. have done 20+ movies. no coasters.

too many variables: ripping sw; encoding sw; burning sw; media; burner. dont waste time constantly changing these variables. stick with what works.

dont blindly listen to others. what works for them may not work for u & vice versa.

test and stay with what works.

i know a lot of people who constantly upgrade to new software and media and get into trouble.

Hi “Muralin” !

Thanks for your reply !

Could you tell me exactly how to setup NERO to burn the movies ?

I just use ‘wizard mode’ and i don’t know if i am doing everything right.

Thanks

LALTOO

Here is my set up:

Nero 5.5.10.7

NO Wizard

ISO/UDF

I use the following media: Ritek DVD-R; Fuji DVD+R; Primedisc (double sided) 9.4GB disc (says its made by Ritek)

Burner: Firewire/USB2 external version of Sony DRU500 (DRX-500UL)

The author probably recommends using record now over nero due to the fact that nero does not produce compliant dvd-r’s,what may work well in your dvd players may not work in 20 other different players.This is a well known fact and has been discussed many times in many different forums.
As for record now kicking out the disk when finished then try exploring the options,the option is there to not eject the tray when the disc is finished if you look hard enough.And is it really a good idea to have kids running around your pc when burning a dvd-r?

Trays that eject wihtout warning and REMAIN open pose a problem to Adults as well as kids. The point being that its always safer to have a CLOSED TRAY.

well im using nero 5.5.10.0 and havent had a single problem i select:

dvdrom [udf ]> make sure its no multisession and select udf 1.02 >click new > drag VIDEO_TS folder into left window and burn…i personllyhavent had any problems what so ever but i do have a few m8s who have probs with nero. My personal opinion is that it could have something to do with firmware but dont quote me. i have firmware 1.00 but my m8 has 1.21 or something and he also has issues with nero and certain media.
Anyways good luck.

I use Nero 5.5.10.0 and have experienced no problems with or without wizzard.Dvd+r’s work on standalone Sony,and older JVC.All videos have no quality issues,longest movie backed up so far so far Harry Potter,looks great!Currently trying other players seems to play on all so far without problems.Nero v5.5.10.0 select compilation not multi-session. I’ve used Record now max v4.50 but still return to Nero. Hope this helps!

Hi there,
i’ve tried PrimoDVD but my DVD+R/RW PhilipsDVDRW228 is not recognized by this soft.

I think for DVD-R Primo is good but it did not work with DVD+R
with NERO it is the same, i think, but on the other way.

i’ve also testet VOB-Instant and Gear Pro but my favourite is NERO.
i’he also testet the image tool which should be make a DVD compliant image an burn then with the NERO engine, it works also but i can’t see any differences to the “only” Nero way.

some words at the end.

1. nice club here, be happy to be here.
  2. not the right place but i don’t want to make a separate thread
  • my wish for a future release of dvd2one is the implementation of “forced Subtitles” anything else is adjustable by RC but the speach of the Hoods in starwars without the forced subtitle is strange.

regards
M

Hi,
Thought I would share my experiences. I have backed up many DVD’s using DVD2One. Burner is the external Sony DRX-500ul on firmware 1.0g. Firewire connected to AMD1800 with 1gb ram, running XP home. At first used Gear pro 6.02 for burning no problems using Datawrite classic 4 x DVD-R media. Latest batch I had 100% failure rate turns out to be bad batch, but before returning them found a work round. My version of Gear Pro did not allow slower recording, so I used Nero 5.5.10.7 to burn, Wizard and UDF mode, and failed. Then I used Nero to convert to ISO (at save as, drop down from default Nrg file, and select ISO), then burnt at 2 x using ISO write mode in DVD Decrypter. 100% compatible in my Wharfedale M5 firmware 1.7, very fussy unit. Also tried in over 10 different player brands no problems. Once Nero was updated to 5.5.10.7b, tried again, using wizard and also UDF method, approx 60% compatibility. Then picking up a comment from somebody on another Forum I tried Nero Express, no settings to mess up, produces 100% compliant files, no stuttering, pausing and compatible with every unit I have tried them on so far. I have no explanation why Nero 5.5.10.7b does not produce as many compliant files as Nero Express, but using the same media on my system is does?.

i’ve tried PrimoDVD but my DVD+R/RW PhilipsDVDRW228 is not recognized by this soft.

hi m8 you need the “pxupdate” on the primo site that adds compatibility to alot of writers.

I have used Nero with Xcopy and dvd2one and the discs will not play in my Toshiba set top. People, please don’t tell everyone how it works so great for you. It doesn’t work with a lot of set tops so if it works in yours great. If your are going to say it works for you, please include your model so at least others can become educated. I use Record Now only for that reason. Also, who cares what the dvd burning software tells you while its burning? Do you like watching the monitor while your dvd is burning?

As for dvd2one. I’ve noticed a small amount of flicker at the top or bottom of the movie. The lines don’t hold perfectly. Otherwise its perfect. DVDXcopy sucks. DVD Decrypter will make EXACT copies of all your 1 layer discs. Use ISO mode and read the disc. Then use ISO mode and write the discs. Works great everytime and makes exact copies. DVD Decrypter is FREE! For 2 layer discs, suck it up and use dvd2one and suffer without the menus. That is all dvd2one’s new version should do, make menus. If they can figure that out they will be heros. I suggest people donate to DVD Decrypter also. Everyone uses their product and its better than most dvd software out there.

Lets try to clean up our forums people. We are trying to educate each other, not argue. Only put in info that is new and vital. Thanks to the people figuring out solutions.

DVD2ONE is great.

I used Nero 5.5.9.0 and 5.5.10.0
No bones

Originally posted by matthewacker
[B]I have used Nero with Xcopy and dvd2one and the discs will not play in my Toshiba set top. People, please don’t tell everyone how it works so great for you. It doesn’t work with a lot of set tops so if it works in yours great. If your are going to say it works for you, please include your model so at least others can become educated. I use Record Now only for that reason. Also, who cares what the dvd burning software tells you while its burning? Do you like watching the monitor while your dvd is burning?

As for dvd2one. I’ve noticed a small amount of flicker at the top or bottom of the movie. The lines don’t hold perfectly. Otherwise its perfect. DVDXcopy sucks. DVD Decrypter will make EXACT copies of all your 1 layer discs. Use ISO mode and read the disc. Then use ISO mode and write the discs. Works great everytime and makes exact copies. DVD Decrypter is FREE! For 2 layer discs, suck it up and use dvd2one and suffer without the menus. That is all dvd2one’s new version should do, make menus. If they can figure that out they will be heros. I suggest people donate to DVD Decrypter also. Everyone uses their product and its better than most dvd software out there.

Lets try to clean up our forums people. We are trying to educate each other, not argue. Only put in info that is new and vital. Thanks to the people figuring out solutions.

DVD2ONE is great. [/B]

Why don’t you post what version of Nero you used.

i stopped using nero 5.5.10.7 also…
everything was going fine at the 5.5.10 release…
but since the 5.5.10.7 release , i cannot even create a normal Data-DVD anymore…
every disc gets rejected with the error “bad disc”

im using btw the A04- pioneer and Princo r/ws.

btw Small tip: :bow: the DVD player MarQuant 333K, plays without conversion directly mpg files…
saves time converting it , and on 1 dvd you can now fit 4 movies

There is an option in the UDF mode of Nero to force Video Compatability. It says required for Xbox. I check that every time and I have had no problems although my daughter took Sweet Home Alabama to a friends house and it would not play. I doubt she has a very good player though.

I burn lots of movies with Nero 5.5.10.7b in UDF/ISO mode, Leve 1, UDF 1.02 version. Never had any problem with compaitibility…ever

I’ve takes some of my backed up movies… “On the road” to friends houses, and to folks at Circuit City. Plays fine (large movies too… written clear to the outer edges!) Apex, Toshiba (3 different models) Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Pioneer (2 different), Phillips. There were a few others but at this moment I can’t remember the mfg name. I didn’t think to write down the model numbers either.

Erwin has tested a new version of Nero 5.5.10.7.13 and found it to burn compliant DVDs. Erwin’s statement: "As you might know, I discovered that there were problems with the compatibility of the disks that were written with Nero. Fortunately Ahead took these problems seriously, and they have worked to find a solution. I just tested a Release Candidate of V5.5.10.13 of their software, and as far as I can test the problems seem to have been solved! Great work guys! "
http://www.dvd2one.com/news.htm]DVD2ONE NEWS

I have written in 3 different modes… DVD-Video, UDF and also in UDF/ISO never click “Joliet” this is a macintosh compatibility format. Also I never do click the “force compatibilty” and they all work on all these set tops I tried… Perhaps in the 5.5.10.13 version… ALL things of good will come together. But, as for me… “No Worries Mate!”

Keep your eyes on Ahead’s homepage… word on the street is that 5.10.13 is due out any moment and fixes the DVD incompatability issues.

Apparently 5.10.13 Release candidate has been out with the chosen few… good results so far.

:rolleyes:

Yes I know.

Next time I’ll read all the posts 1st.

:eek:

Unfortunately with different PC hardware configs, different burners, DVD+ or DVD-, it’s not easy getting something that will work universally.

As a previous poster wrote, you should find and STICK with what works for you consistently! I use RecordNow Max 4.5, it’s very simple to use and has worked each and every time. Not 1 coaster in about 30 burns! Matter of fact, I know it saved me from burning a coaster because one of the default options is to burn ONLY if it’s DVD compliant. Apparently, something was wrong with one of the files,probably an IFO file. If RNM doesn’t accept it as DVD compliant it will reject the disk and give you an error message.

Just for the hell of it, I removed that default option and burned the disk. Sure enough, although it ran in POW DVD on my PC, it did not run on any of my standalones.

So, use what works for you consistently, for me, I won’t bother with NERO, Copytodvd, Alcohol or whatever. Why fix it if it’s not broken?

Just my 2 cents,
Mike