Nero ISO -> Files gone awry?!?!

Help please! I’ve used Nero many many times for burning music and movie CDRs. I recently had to back up some files before formatting and reinstalling Windows. So I used Nero to copy files such as favorites, word, excel, etc. I think I chose the first CD Burning option – CD-ROM ISO (???).

When I later copied over the files from the CD backup I made, the files won’t open up correctly. Word files look like garbled code. The favorites are all pointing to the wrong links. And my Outlook.pst file can’t be accessed because I don’t have permissions or something like that.

These file problems happen when I try to open the files directly from the disk or copy it to my hard drive and then open. All of my backup files are on this CDROM ISO that I burnt but can’t use! If anyone could explain to me why this happened and if there is anyway to fix this, I would be so eternally grateful! :bow: :confused:

I just downloaded IsoBuster, and am hoping this will work with my problem. I tried extracting the files from my CD using IsoBuster, but the result is still the same. Will keep trying. Still seeking advice if anyone has any for me. Thanks.

The permissions error on your .pst file may simply be that files copied back from CD usually have the R (read only) bit set - which you need to clear manually once the file is copied back to your hard disk. In Windows Explorer, right click over the file and choose Properties, clear the “Read only” check box and click OK.

However, if you’re using NTFS, make sure you copy the files back as the appropriate user - otherwise the attributes may land up incorrect. Files copied back to your hard disk as an administrator may not be accessible by a user.

As for the other corruption - I presume you know that most files, including Word documents, tend to look like garbage in a text editor. Are you seeing corruption when trying to load them into the original programs?

I can think of scenarios where Favorites and Shortcuts may go awry when copied to and from a CD-ROM.

By the way, it’s always better to make multiple copies of important data - not least to avoid “single point of failure” issues. It’s also wise to verify copies of data - Nero 6 certainly allows you to verify written CDs (there’s an option you can select once you’ve started the burn), though I’m not sure about earlier versions.

I hope this helps - but fear it doesn’t. :sad:

David

Thanks so much for your advice & recommendations David. I am learning the hard way much of what you said (e.g., the wisdom of making multiple copies and verifying them). I’d never experienced a total system crash like this before, and had gotten lazy about backing up data. My last backup was in July 2003. I thought I was safe by copying all my documents to CDR, boy was I wrong. I wish I verified. Then again, maybe there wasn’t much good backing up would do anyway since all indications seem to be pointing to a screwy system that caused my file “corruptions” rather than my selection of CD-ROM ISO burning format.

We’re trying to run a data recovery program to restore the original files from my hard drive. It’s not being successful so far - program keeps crashing. Plus, chances are probably slim having formatted the drive twice and installed XP Pro, then Win 98, then XP Home …

If I could just fix my Outlook.pst file it would be a major relief. When I try copying the file off the CD, the read-only permission isn’t checked anymore and Outlook doesn’t see it as a personal folders file. On the CD, Read-Only is checked, and I can’t get the permissions to import. Either way I’m feeling really screwed at this point.

My last hope is restoring my July 2003 Windows Backup file. I’ve never done that before. Boy do I feel depressed. Thank you for your help. :sad:

I’d be concerned about possible hardware failure if you were getting major file corruption problems - though it’s always possible that they were related to some kind of software issues (possibly a virus, or buggy drivers).

There is a utility to repair damaged PST files called scanpst - it should be somewhere on your Office our Outlook CD-ROM. However, if the file is very corrupt, I suspect you won’t be able to get it back that way. :sad:

I’m lucky - I have the hardware and software to run daily unattended backups (weekly full and daily differential) to a large hard disc dedicated to backups and scratch space. The backups are then automatically verified, copied to DDS-4 tape, and the tape copy verified. The system emails me to confirm that both the backup to disk and the copy to tape have succeeded.

The same system allows me to ‘disaster recover’ in a few hours - though I don’t have the full-blown Disaster Recovery module. All I have to do is reinstall Windows and install the Windows service pack I was on. It’s not necessary to install all the latest drivers, hotfixes and so on - they’ll all be recovered from the backup. From there, you install the backup software (evaluation mode is fine - so you don’t need to find the product key), catalog and inventory the tapes (in my case just the most recent two, assuming they’re intact), then tell it to restore the latest full and any subsequent partial backups. It figures out precisely what needs to be restored, then sits there and asks for the tapes as it needs them. If the backup hard disc is intact, it’s even easier and faster than bothering with tapes. After the restore is complete, a single reboot and my system is back. It saved me a year ago when the computer crashed and my C: drive finished up utterly corrupt (quite what happened, I don’t know - NTFS is normally pretty robust). I hadn’t the time to sit down and spend several days reinstalling, especially as I was only months away from a new main computer anyway.

Of course, you easily retrieve single files or folders from this setup - if they’re still in one of the backups on the hard disk, it takes literally seconds to restore.

However, the hardware, software and media involved in this level of backup is far from cheap (around 1000 pounds in the UK at current prices - maybe a little more, and you do need a SCSI controller and cable for the tape hardware, so they’re extra if you don’t already have them). The only thing I don’t have is a data-rated fire safe for the tapes. Really, this is a business level backup system.

These days, you can get a worthwhile backup system with reasonable capacity for a tenth of my kind of system, because of the current low price of DVD writers. Four and a bit gigabytes won’t back up more than the simplest modern computer in its entirety - but gives you loads of space for backing up your important data.

Nero 6 has a “Back It Up” utility that might help; it’s a shame that it uses the built-in scheduler on Windows 2000 and XP, so it won’t run when logged off, but it’s still a start. If you’ve got Nero 6, you already have the software. Even if this software doesn’t allow you to recover your Windows installation (I don’t believe it does, but I haven’t fully investigated what it can do), it is your data that’s most important.

A decent DVD writer (NEC ND-2500A is what I have - an excellent drive for the money) and say ten 4x DVD+RW discs of a decent brand should get you going - the total outlay for those items in the UK at the moment would be around 110 pounds - and of course, you then have a DVD writer for other uses. Indeed, if you only have a few hundred megabytes you really need to protect, a CD-RW drive is good enough at least to get going with.

The important thing with backup is that it has to be easy - at worst, load a disc or tape and start a program every week - otherwise it won’t get done. I used to have a backup system that required starting manually, and I was very intermittent in backing up.

David