Nero Info Tool and DMA enabling

So this is interesting…after installing the Intel Application Accelorator program and letting it run automatically ( I did not change any settings cause I did not know what everything was yet) it actually did some crazy things…It reports that my Hard Drives are in a transfermode of UDMA 5 and that my CD Roms are at UDMA 2…but when I run Nero Info tool, it tells me that DMA for my lite on CD-Rom drive is now DMA on, where it was the only drive it reported as DMA off before, but it also states that my DMA is off now for my CD-RW and off for my second HD…is is because they are both slave drives…before I ran the Intel Application Accelerator, the drives all reported as being DMA on…Please Help…

here is what it looked like before I ran IAA

1st ide channel
Master HD - DMA on
Slave HD -DMA on

2nd ide channel
Master CD-Rom DMA off
Slave CD-RW DMA on

Now it looks like this in Nero Info tool after running IAA

1st ide channel
Master HD - DMA on
Slave HD -DMA off

2nd ide channel
Master CD-Rom DMA on
Slave CD-RW DMA off

What is going on here?

If the BIOS shows the drives as UDMA-5 and UDMA-2, and Windows shows them as DMA, and if they function as you wish them to, then don’t worry too much about InfoTool.

so I guess info tools is not always right?

Originally posted by sg1717
so I guess info tools is not always right?

Correct.

Thanks!!! You guys are grrrrrreat! Tony the Tiger’s Voice

Well it usually does display the right info, at least for me. But the IAA drivers screw it up. After I install IAA on my 815 chipset, the primary IDE turns into secondary, and the secondary turns into “unknown”.

The IAA 2.2.0.2126 works fine , but there is some problems when there is used other version of ASPI , other than 4.60 .

So IAA + ASPI 4.60 + Nero (with the Nero winaspi.dll deleted from the Nero folder) + WinOnCd PE + CloneCd = No problem

The people who mess their systems is order to make DVD software rippers to operate ,they getting in risk of loosing the stability of the system in burning .

Hmmm…I deleted the file from the nero directory and same results…is there anything else I am missing?

I know it really doesn’t matter what nero says, but I am just curious :bow:

So how do I enable or diable DMA if I wanted to do it myslef…

Originally posted by sg1717
So how do I enable or diable DMA if I wanted to do it myslef…

right click on my compter goto properties, then the hardware tab, click on the device managaer button, click the + sign beside DVD/CD-ROM Drives, right click on your drive goto properties, and you should have it in there somewhere it will allow you to enable DMA

click the + sign beside DVD/CD-ROM Drives, right click on your drive goto properties, and you should have it in there

This is for Win9x only. For 2K/XP the setting will be under the IDE controller, not the drive.

With the IAA installed on the system , the DMA controls is handled by the system , there is no manual settings …

The only solution to be sure that all the DMA is open at the maxed speed is to replace any IDE cables with 80 pins one .

The IAA adjusts all the IDE settings at the max .
If some IDE channels does not operate at max DMA speed , this is fault of the devices that they are attached on them .

They are IDE controllers that they support in the same IDE cable (channel), two different in speed devices with keeping separate DMA setting for its one .
This controllers is the INTEL 815 and newer versions .
And also the PCI Promise 100TX and newer versions .

Actually, you can see the UDMA for each device trough the IAA and can set it lower but not set it higher.

Yep when IAA is installed the “Advanced Tab” in IDE properties is not there anymore to configure.

I had the same issue with Nero Info Tool while using an Intel chipset (850) and IAA. It turned out that Nero’s report was wrong. It is quite easy to figure out whether its report is true or false. Just run a benchmark on your drives with a proggie like SiSandra or ATTO’s benchmarking utility and see whether their speed is UDMA compliant or not.

PS: We greeks are getting a bit cramped up a little lately eh? :wink: