Nero freezes PC when selecting recorder

I am upgrading (well, lateral move) from an Intel 875P chipset based computer to one with an nVidia NForce3 250b chipset. All the same hardware internally except the motherboard, Athlon CPU + HSF.

I loaded Windows XP SP2 and software in a logical order and am up to my burning software. Alcohol 120% and Stomp RecordNowMax work fine. Nero, not so well.

Problem: I am getting freezes when choosing between my NEC and Plextor recorders in Nero. None of my other burning programs have an issue, but if I want to change my burner preference in Nero, it locks up the application and Windows. I have to reset to reboot. This did not happen on my Intel based P4. All other hardware is the same. I had my installation of Windows XP on my Intel P4 computer for years, loading and unloading software frequently, without ever an issue. This is my first AMD/NForce computer ever and am having second thoughts so far. Stability was never an issue for me. I also like to keep my PC nice and tidy.

I had all the latest Intel chipset drivers for my 875P computer and am using all the latest NForce3 chipset drivers for my AMD computer EXCEPT the IDE drivers. I left them as standard Microsoft based on many posts complaining about NVidia’s. The NVidia IDE drivers were never loaded on this system.

OLD:
ASUS Intel 875P chipset motherboard (forget model)
Intel Northwood P4 2.8Ghz CPU

1Gb DDR400 RAM (2 x 512Mb)
Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH (Nvidia GeForce4 6600GT AGP)
PCI Modem
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI audio card (motherboard audio disabled)
Hitachi 160Gb IDE drivwe (boot) (primary IDE single)
Seagate 160Gb SATA drive (1st SATA connector)
Plextor PX-716A DVD/CD recorder (secondary IDE master)
NEC ND-3520A DVD/CD Recorder (secondary IDE slave)
3.5" floppy drive

NEW:
DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb mobo, NForce3 250Gb chipset
Athlon64 3200+ CPU

1Gb DDR400 RAM (2 x 512Mb)
Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH (Nvidia GeForce4 6600GT AGP)
PCI Modem
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI audio card (motherboard audio disabled)
Hitachi 160Gb IDE drivwe (boot) (primary IDE single)
Seagate 160Gb SATA drive (1st SATA connector)
Plextor PX-716A DVD/CD recorder (secondary IDE master)
NEC ND-3520A DVD/CD Recorder (secondary IDE slave)
3.5" floppy drive

Any ideas of why this is happening? The Event viewer shows nothing. Is there a known problem with NForce based computers and Nero, or one of my burners?

-Robert

I have the same system as your new one and have no problem what so ever, try to update your motherboard bios that may resolve the issue.

The BIOS is the latest version.

Then try to update your IDE Controllers driver with Nvida drivers that came with your M/B or the latest one from your M/B manufacturer web site.

Fixed the problem, after changing around master/slave configs, reloading drivers, etc. Everything.

What fixed it was trying a different modified firmware than the one one the NEC already. I updated to the latest Dee’s ND3520 2.U5 firmware and it fixed the freezing problem. Wheh!

Robert