Nero - First to support Layer-Jump Recording (LJR) of dual-layer DVD-R media

vbimport

I just posted the article Nero - First to support Layer-Jump Recording (LJR) of dual-layer DVD-R media.

Nero, leaders in digital media technologies,
announced today that its applications, Nero Burning ROM and Nero Express, now
support Layer-Jump Recording (LJR) of dual-layer DVD-R media, thus…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10336-Nero---First-to-support-Layer-Jump-Recording-LJR-of-dual-layer-DVD-R-media.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10336-Nero---First-to-support-Layer-Jump-Recording-LJR-of-dual-layer-DVD-R-media.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

OK, hopefully this will not lead into more problems regarding DL… :open_mouth:

Hmm - I am missing something here - if dual layer media has the data written to one side then the other, as per normal dvd’s - and one layer is read back before the other - how can nero split sequential data into tiny bits to burn in stages progressively across both layers?

> if dual layer media has the data written to one side then the other, as per normal dvd’s - and one layer is read back before the other - how can nero split sequential data into tiny bits to burn in stages progressively across both layers? < With this new (and quite useless?) “innovation” data is NOT written to one side, then the other, but every session has two layers written. Hence the name “Layer Jump”.

I read this as writing both sides at once, albeit in sector size blocks, but not having file 1 split in fragments across both layers, but still keeping file1 + file 2 on layer 1, with file 3 on layer 2? If nero splits files into bits and writes segment 1 of file 1 to layer 1, segment 2 of file 1 to layer 2, etc - hmm, nero may do this but how will readers (firmware) know what is going on? I thought the standard and all readers expect to complete one layer and then go to the other - if you skip between them, as with long movies, you get the infamous layer-change (1-2 seconds wait) - for normal files this would slow things down immeasurably - or not? Confused - yep, I am.