Nero Fiddles Com - Verify

vbimport

Could someone please explain exactly what the verify function does?

I need to be absolutely certain that the files on the burned CD are identical to the source files on the hard drive.

Does verify check back against the Nero image, or the files themselves?

I presume it uses some form of CRC checksum?

I’m using VB6, although I doubt that is relevant to the above question.

Thanks.

Could someone please explain exactly what the verify function does?
It verifies if the written content is identical to the source.

I need to be absolutely certain that the files on the burned CD are identical to the source files on the hard drive.
You need to monitor the phases of the OnMajorPhase event. Getting NERO_PHASE_VERIFY_END_OK or NERO_PHASE_VERIFY_END_FAIL tells you how the verification worked out. In order to receive these you must specify NERO_BURN_FLAG_VERIFY to a burn function. This all works for ISO tracks only.

Does verify check back against the Nero image, or the files themselves?
If you burn the image, it verifies against the image. If you burn from source files directly, it verifies against the those files.

I presume it uses some form of CRC checksum?
Possibly. This is an implementation detail and is not really important.

I’m using VB6, although I doubt that is relevant to the above question.
Exactly. It is irrelevant, in terms of verification itself.

Thanks for the above information, most helpful. I’ll check that I’ve done the code properly, but I do get “Verification Successful” messages already.

The results of the burn could be used for legal evidence. It would be good to know how the verification is done, so I can quote (if asked) the likelihood of the verification failing to pick up something wrong with the burn. Perhaps this is something I should address to your head office?

I really want to avoid duplicating the verification done by Nero, and absolutely want to avoid a byte by byte comparison of a CD full of files against the source files!

If this is of utter importance for you, I suggest you take another route to get this kind of information. I cannot tell you for sure how it is done but I am certain the verification done by Nero can be trusted or else there would no point in providing it at all.

In my own experience, it is the physical media that should be questioned the most.

Thanks for the reply, sorry about the delay in my response.

As this is of importance to me, and following your comment about the media I’m “biting the bullet” and doing my own compare between what is actually on the Cd and the source files.