Nero express 5.5.9.9 , puzzled about the software

vbimport

Hi
I bought nero express 5.5.9.9. cd burner/DVD PLAYER . The problem is with the DVD player, The dvd drive or the movie will not start up. It wont work.

I am frustrated with the small computer store i boughtv this from. he seems evasive and defensive when i go to him with questions.

When i purchased the product it was not in a manufacturers box. when i bought it, it was only wrapped in bubble wrap.

My question is; what cd software should be included with my purchase.?
I recieved one cd called "nero express 5.5.9.9 , inCD 3.39.0.

Should there not have been another cd software disc for the Power DVD ?

The store insists that I bring the computer in and he will load Power DVD for me. Is this guy up to something?

Didn’t know Nero Express was a player software too…
As far as I know, Nero is software which you can use to write CDs.

It is possible that he wants you to bring in the PC so he can install Power DVD and perhaps remove Nero Express. It is possible if he only installs the software without giving you an original CD and license number, you don’t get a legal version of the software…

Hey there Gonzo , welcome to the forum.

First of all , Nero is a program to write cd’s and/or dvd’s with. It is not usually meant to actually play cd’s or dvd’s. For dvd’s you will need a dvd player program such as Power DVD.

Thing is , when you purchase a new computer , you get a lot of software with it , some is preinstalled (that means : no cd , so if you wipe your harddisk , say bye bye to your program ) , some are delivered on a cdrom. This all depends on the license that the manufacturer has purchased.

Common courtesy is that for every original program that was installed , you get the original cd-roms as well. If you purchase a writer for instance , you will get a lot of programs with it (bundled software , sometimes known as OEM software).

Sometimes computer manufacturers grab those little cd’s , install the program for you on your harddisk , but don’t give the original cd ; So they can sell it … again … 2nd profit … AND highly illegal as well.

Let’s assume your supplier is honest and gives you a nicely preinstalled system with Windows XP and all the other software on it. If you pop in a dvd-rom , you will get a notification from the operating system what you want to do with this disc. Playing it with the aid of the dvd software (PowerDVD) should be one of the first options of choiche.

The problem is though , on your system , there is either no software , or there’s something wrong with the operating system. You already stated that there is no dvd software program running when you pop in a dvd , so apperantly he forgot either to install it, or forgot to give you the program disc.

I personally think he is up to something , but i don’t know why he’s holding back. In these days you get free playback software with your videocard , your soundcard , motherboard and your dvd player.

//edit// seems Tax was also posting when i typed this :slight_smile: Well , hopefully it brings a little info ,if not i will delete this post //end of edit//

Hi guys, thx for the response and welcome.

This little store has the software for the Power DVD, he made me a copy, but still not working. I feel ripped off because i would want the original software. He then claims the cd burning software is sufficent to drive the power dvd. This is hypocritical and cant be right. If i could prove he is a thief i would be tempted to report this little worm. If i had the ORIGINAL power dvd software i may have smooth sailing. (The same guy who boasts and grins that viruses are a great thing for his business)

or there’s something wrong with the operating system.

This is another possible problem you might be able to assist me with. I tried to load Power dvd with the “pirated disk” he gave me.
I get a message that says The tv out port of your display is not working properly AND The copy protected disc can not be played when the tv out function is enabled . Can you give me some quick advice on what i could do?
thx very much

I suggest you report this thug to the Better Business Bureau,if this is an option. He is obviously ripping you (and probably others) off with his shady practices. No box for a ‘brand-new’ Nero??,that was the first clue,and ‘a tv out’ indication for Power DVD??,I’m still scratching my head on that one,since a ‘tv’out’,and DVD player software have nothing to do with each other. Sounds like he gave you software for a video capture card,which often includes a ‘tv out’ If you can,deal with someone else,
this guy is gonna meet the business end of someone’s firearm very shortly…:a
If you don’t mind me asking,how much did these things cost you???

for the"brand new" nero cd burner/dvd player i paid $110.00 CDN. (about 78.00 USD).

(I bought a new computer from him about 14 months ago and bought a nero cdburner/dvd player about two months ago)

REPORT HIM and do it now! He is ripping you off bigtime. After you report him let him know that you did and then see if his story changes

Your post suggests that Nero makes CD/DVD burners,it does not.
Nero only makes software,and very good at that. Can you tell who actually made your drive? From your description,it sounds like a CD/DVD Combo drive. Nero 5.5 can be found at most PC stores like Best Buy,CompUSA,et all,and after you install it,you can get free upgrades from www.ahead.de (Nero’s parent company) or even this site posts links to where it can be found. I really dont know where you’re posting from,I’m writing from a US perspective… Good Luck

(bare with me I am not well versed with computers and the lingo)

Today i went down he gave me a software
copy for the dvd player. (Power DVD). arghhh…No original though ! :frowning:

Now the dvd movie will start and run briefly, then the movie stops playing and the screen turns black and a message comes up; “TheTV Out port of your display card is not working properly.” with an"error code F4D41436"

Is there some simple setting that will finally get this working ?

thx for your patience.

thx for the links , i have downloaded some updates hopefully ???

Originally posted by gonzo63
Today i went down he gave me a software
copy for the dvd player. (Power DVD). arghhh…No original though ! :frowning:

This is illegal and enough to report him.
He is either trying to make extra profit by selling the software more than once, or he does not have any license at all and still tries to get money off you.

For the money you paid you should get a full version of the software, in retail package (in a nice box etc.). The fact that he tells you that Nero (express) can be used as DVD player software is a lie. The fact that Nero and PowerDVD work together somehow is a lie too…they are two independent software packages, one for burning and one for playing.

The error ‘Cannot play original disc with TV-out enabled’ I have heard of before (don’t know in which part of this forum, buut I remember seeing it before this post…could be Dutch forum though). It is overprotective (thinking that using the TV-out is only to copy DVD to VHS, which should not be possible due to Macrovision protection), especially when you think that a lot of people buy TV-out on their cards so they can watch the DVD on their (big screen) TV. But I don’t know if this is PowerDVD related, Windows related or anything else…

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
The error ‘Cannot play original disc with TV-out enabled’ I have heard of before

I’ve heard of it as well ; Didn’t it have something to do with videocards which have a tv-out option ? Usually they are seen as a 2nd monitor in the drivers (At least , nVidia works like that)

It’s not unusual that small computer companies are ripping off the customer by distributing illegal copies of an OEM program.

I’ve seen big stands at computer fairs where people sell Windows 2000 , including the big sticker “For use with a new DELL machine only !” , really pathetic, because the uneducated customer thinks he’s purchasing a fully licensed Windows 2000 operating system only to find out that whenever he calls Microsoft for support , he’s told that it’s an OEM version and he should contact DELL ; or that this serial number has been reported as a pirated copy and he’ll get the Business Software Alliance with a lawsuit.

The fact that he tells you that Nero (express) can be used as DVD player software is a lie. The fact that Nero and PowerDVD work together somehow is a lie too…they are two independent software packages, one for burning and one for playing.

awesome , thanks for that. Thats clear enough to me to challenge him about lying and ripping me off . (along with others and the software company). I will contact Nero to verify and supply him with a letter of proof FROM Nero

Originally posted by gonzo63
awesome , thanks for that. Thats clear enough to me to challenge him about lying and ripping me off . (along with others and the software company). I will contact Nero to verify and supply him with a letter of proof FROM Nero

Please let us know the outcome, have become curious now…

Ditto that…:wink: