NERO dvd+R burning

vbimport

Posted to this site numerous times and a lot have advised me AGAINST using Nero. Decided to see for myself. Been burning avi video files to DVD+R’s w/only NeroVision Express 3. Results are mixed. Couple are DVD clarity copies while the majority are “VHS’y” and lightly pixilated. Should be MUCH better based on the quality of the source. Also, some are Widescreen while others letterbox.

Questions:

1. Would SVCD be better than VCD?
  2. Under “Default Video Options” at the start, would “Aspect ratio” be better if instead of Automatic I used 4:3 or 16:9?
  3. Trying flix now that doesn’t fit with either “High Quality” or “Standard”. Should “Long Play” not even be an option if I want the pic to look good?

are you running Nero Recode nerovision3 then burn it to a dvd format? You’ll see you’ll have much better clarity

Darkdragon, thank you so much for trying to help. Only problem is that I’m too stupid to understand your msg. I know there is a Nero Recode and I have it. But I have no idea what it is and how to use it in tandem with NVE 3 (which I’m assuming is what your msg asked). Can you baby-step me?

1) Would SVCD be better than VCD? VCD is mpeg, an old format, thats a low quality image, SVCD is mpeg 2, a higher quality format, same as dvd, but at a very specific bit rate.
2) Under “Default Video Options” at the start, would “Aspect ratio” be better if instead of Automatic I used 4:3 or 16:9? You should leave this as automatic, so nero can read the avi file and convert properly, if you belive that nero is incorrectly doing 4:3 instead of 16:9, then change for that particular avi file you are using. Dont change a 4:3 into a 16:9, as the resulting dvd will look odd.
3) Trying flix now that doesn’t fit with either “High Quality” or “Standard”. Should “Long Play” not even be an option if I want the pic to look good?
These options are defaults to use instead of “custom”, so you dont have to set your own encoding rate. A “2-pass” will give higher quality.

Ignore Nero Recode, its only for amending dvd disks, and not for creating them from avi.

Here’s what to do:
NVE3 and choose “Make DVD…” and then choose “DVD-Video”. Now “add video files” and select your avi file. Look to where the blue “used space” bar is sitting, you can go all the way to the red dotted line at the end. As an example i have a avi file at 1hr 23mins, this is only 3gig on the size scale, i use the “more” button and then “video options” then the “dvd-video” tab. On the “quality setting” i change this from “automatic” to custom and increase this to 7000kbits/s which puts the blue line at about 4.2gig. This will give a better image quality, as the higher the kbits/s rate, the better the resulting dvd is.

2dividedby0 my friend, think you’ll be able to help me. :bow: but your “Idiot Patience” will be put to the test. Going to do this step-by-step. PLEASE be VERY basic and simplistic.

NVE3 and choose “Make DVD…” and then choose “DVD-Video”. Now “add video files” and select your avi file.
***Done. I’m assuming that Default Video settings at the “Make DVD” start page are at AUTOMATIC, yes?

Look to where the blue “used space” bar is sitting, you can go all the way to the red dotted line at the end.
***Added avi file. Target Video Options listed as 2hr 9min 56s. 720 x 480 [CCIR-601 D1] -16:9. Blue Used Space bar is at 4.0GB. Red Maximum is 7.9GB. File goes/ends at 4.9GB (so Green line from 0.0GB to 4.0GB, then Blue line from 4.0GB to 4.9GB).

As an example i have a avi file at 1hr 23mins, this is only 3gig on the size scale, i use the “more” button and then “video options” then the “dvd-video” tab. On the “quality setting” i change this from “automatic” to custom and increase this to 7000kbits/s which puts the blue line at about 4.2gig. This will give a better image quality, as the higher the kbits/s rate, the better the resulting dvd is.
***How do I proceed when the file is longer as opposed to your shorter example?

Hi robnyt.

Done. I’m assuming that Default Video settings at the “Make DVD” start page are at AUTOMATIC, yes? Correct, its all set at automatic to begin with.

How do I proceed when the file is longer as opposed to your shorter example Using the same instructions amend the kbits/s rate to a lower number, nero’s default seems about 5073kbits/s, since your size is 4.9gb try about 4900 or 4800, kind of experiment around a bit to find correct size, you’ll see the green/blue bar change size depending on kbits/s rate.

Worked!!! Thanks a lot. Another question. Interested in backing up my purchased DVD’s w/Nero. Can I do that and if so, how?

Interested in backing up my purchased DVD’s w/Nero. Can I do that and if so, how?
Nero cant back up films directly, as they contain copy protection on the discs. You have to remove this first. Use Dvd Decrypter http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ .

In dvddecrypter program use “mode” menu and choose “file” then insert your dvd disk into whichever dvd drive you have, decrypter will find disk then use decrypt button. Go away and come back in 15-30mins depending on disk size and drive speed. An the end of this you will have a folder on the hard-drive and a video_ts folder containing all the dvd files.

You can now use Nero Recode to make a dvd-9 (Dual layer disk or 8.5gb) down to a dvd-5 (your +r disk or 4.38gb). Using “recode entire dvd to dvd” this will transfer the original disk contents, if you just want the movie with no extras i.e commentaries removed, making of’s etc, use “recode main movie to dvd”.

Another program that may be of use is dvd shrink http://www.dvdshrink.org/, instead of nero recode, which does what it name suggests. Very easy to use, its help file has links to detailed backup instructions.