Nero Drive Speed nightmare

vbimport

I just thought I would try this Drive Speed tool to lower the speed of my no-name 50x CD-ROM player.

I set a max of 16x, then I try to read a CD -> no go.

So I quit the program, and I still can't read the datas on the cd.

I reboot. Same thing. When I insert the CD, the automatic CD recognition of Windows XP doesn't work anymore. The name of the CD doesn't appear in "my computer", just "CD drive (H: )". If I wait a bit and click "refresh" it doesn't help

I do a system restore. No change. My CD-ROM player doesn't read CD-ROMs anymore.

I uninstall Nero completely. Reboot. No improvement. Same thing.

I find this horrible, it really acts like a virus.

Is there any chance I can read CD-ROMs on my computer again?

PLEASE HELP ME !!! :frowning:

Try uninstalling the drive from system devices and reboot. If this doesn’t work try switching ides or jumper settings (slave-master)

The “can’t read cd situation” is a bug of winXP and happens with no reason at all (it has happened to me twice!), so i don’t think it is related to nero drive speed.

Why did you try to lower down your drive’s speed in the first place?

I tried to lower down the speed of my drive because I wanted to get less noise while reading a video.

I don’t think it comes from an XP related bug. I never had such problems before, and it happened as I used Drive Speed for the first time.

I’ve got a dual boot system, so I tried in Windows 98: it does exactly the same thing, my cd-rom drive is not able to read any cd anymore.

Try uninstalling the drive from system devices and reboot. If this doesn’t work try switching ides or jumper settings (slave-master)

I tried what you said, no success.

So, I took the cd drive out and put it into a second computer I have. Exactly the same happens: the drive is properly recognised and installed, in device manager everything is fine. But if you put a cd in, it’s not readable.

So I think I can say my drive is dead now. I can hardly believe that after using a small piece of software like Nero Drive Speed this kind of thing can happen, but that is a fact, it did kill my cd-rom drive. That’s amazing. I still can’t believe it.

Oh Hemispasm, I just noticed something. It has nothing to do with this topic though, it’s about this… Atrocity Exhibition… I’ll stay tuned (understand who can).

I kind of find it hard to believe that using any kind of software like this would render your drive dead - ok unless you make it run at x200 for 200hours :wink:

If i were you i’d do some more testing (primary slave, secondary master/slaver - see which one it likes!). If nothing works, you’d better contact the manufacturer (if it’s still under guarantee) and see what they have to say about it. Hell, i have returned hardware that i knew I had ruined, this drive i would return in a flash :stuck_out_tongue:

… And yeah, from the moment i heard these 6 words, the world has never been the same again :wink:

Yes, according to Erik Deppe (Drive Speed’s creator) who kindly answered my mail, the program cannot have caused this trouble with my drive.

So it must be a coincidence. After one and a half year using my CD drive, this happened exactly as I launched Nero Drive Speed and modified the settings, and that’s why it seemed obvious to me that the program was responsible.

But if it’s not possible, than it’s not Drive Speed’s fault.

Strange things happen sometimes. :rolleyes:

I think I will take this opportunity to buy myself a DVD drive, as I don’t have one yet. I read somewhere in this forum that Lite On was a good choice.

I think I will take this opportunity to buy myself a DVD drive, as I don’t have one yet. I read somewhere in this forum that Lite On was a good choice.
Well it might, but from what i gather, getting a toshiba dvd would be better - it has the best reading capabilities (that’s what ppl say at least). Doing a search on toshiba might help :wink:

What i can suggest for sure is to stay away from samsung dvds (the sd612 and 616 models do louzy sub reading) :frowning:

I read that new Toshiba DVD drives were region-locked in hardware, or something like that :Z . It doesn’t sound good to me, even if they are excellent drives…

oops, I mixed up Toshiba and Matshita, the latter being locked in hardware.

I hesitate now between a Toshiba M1612 and a Lite On 163, which I can get either for 57€.

You’re right, the Toshiba seems better. I might get the Toshiba then… :slight_smile:

I have a matshita cd rom in my old pc (5 year-old drive - stil works fine!!) but their support really sucks. :Z

Toshiba’s are said to be good drives, you should still get an opinion by someone that has one though (i don’t) :wink: