Nero Digital codec and GIGAREC

vbimport

Has anybody the possiblity of using

• the new Nero Digital video codec

• with the GIGAREC recording technology of PLEXTOR (available on the PREMIUM CD burner).
    This Gigarec technology could allow to burn up to 1,116 MB on a 99 minutes CD-R, so it might be possible to fit a whole DVD on a single CD-R without loss of video quality and only using a CD burner !

Could a expert try this and tell us about the result.
    Which is the maximal possible size in GB of a file before re-encoding it with Nero Digital ?
    And is it possible after that to play de Gigarec burned CD-R on any standalone DVD player ?

It might be worth using this technique while waiting for the dual layer buener and appropriate medias . . .

Reasonable idea, but it only works for you and those who have Plextor drives, and drives that can read 99minute CDs. Doesn’t it always depend on the length of the movie too? I typically find that movies of no more than roughly 1 hour & 40 minutes compress pretty nicely to a 700MB size for CD use, even viewed at full screen. But hey, why don’t you just get a DVD burner and put about 4 movies encoded at about 1300kbps (usually around 1GB) onto one DVD? :wink:

Thanks for your reply, but:
my goal is specialy to back-up a DVD Video
- without using a DVD burner at all !
- without using a DVD burner at all !
because I think that it is not the time to buy a DVD burner NOW

• new 8x DVD burners are about to come very soon (espacially the Pionner A07)

• the compatibily of the new 8x DVD media with DVD burners is not known

• the dual layer burner are coming out in around april 2004

• the HD-DVD using a blue laser is on the way for 2005

Anyway in the coming year 2004 the will be a drastic price drop on DVD recorders
    and a plextor premium CD recorder is only worth around 100$ and has an uprgrade and well workinb firmware . .

the gigarec feature is nothing more than putting the data on the disc without error correction, just like XCD.
Just like you can store 800 mb of svcd data on a 700 mb cd, gigarec makes you store 800 mb on a 700 mb cd (or 1,19 gig on a 99 min cd). This will however, not be playable on a dvd player for now, until players are released that support nero digital, or atleast: mpeg 4 video with AAC audio in a mp4 container (that’s what ND is)

Hi mace1337,
according to what plextor says here, this is not true.

The additional capacity is obtained by compression of the pit and lands burned on the CD.

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by mace1337
the gigarec feature is nothing more than putting the data on the disc without error correction

Okay then, but it’s a combination of those two, because mode 2 form 2 is what I said earlier about putting the stuff on cd without error correction so:D

No, Gigarec does not force you to use mode2 form 2, it works at a lower level. Using your favorite burning application, you can create any kind of CDR.

I have made a couple of Mode 1 CDRs using Nero and Gigarec (1.2x) since the AVI file I wanted to burn did not fit in a standard 80min CD.

By the way, avoiding the ‘extreme’ settings like 1.4x (i haven’t tried 1.3x yet) the resulting CDRs work well also in my DVD-ROM Toshiba 1702, and also the C1/C2 tests are quite satifactory.

The scan below refers to a Verbatim Datalife 700Mb/80min CD-R burned with Nero and Gigarec 1.2x in Mode1.

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

Originally posted by mace1337
Okay then, but it’s a combination of those two, because mode 2 form 2 is what I said earlier about putting the stuff on cd without error correction so:D

Originally posted by eltranquil
[B]No, Gigarec does not force you to use mode2 form 2, it works at a lower level. Using your favorite burning application, you can create any kind of CDR.

I have made a couple of Mode 1 CDRs using Nero and Gigarec (1.2x) since the AVI file I wanted to burn did not fit in a standard 80min CD.

By the way, avoiding the ‘extreme’ settings like 1.4x (i haven’t tried 1.3x yet) the resulting CDRs work well also in my DVD-ROM Toshiba 1702, and also the C1/C2 tests are quite satifactory.

The scan below refers to a Verbatim Datalife 700Mb/80min CD-R burned with Nero and Gigarec 1.2x in Mode1.

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET [/B]

Ok you win :slight_smile:

Could you test if the GIGAREC burned disk plays on a “living room” DVD player mike the LITE-ON LDV-2001 for example ?

It probably depends on the codec you used: divX, Xvid or Nero Digital,
but with GIGAREC burning you modify the size of the pits and lands and can the lazer beam of a standalone DVD palyer still follow correctly the track ?

Yes, today I tried in on my Amstrad 3016 standalone DVD/DivX player, which plays Mpeg, DivX 3, 4, 5 and Xvid files.
It works great. The CD was recorded with Gigarec 1.2.

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by franz99
Could you test if the GIGAREC burned disk plays on a “living room” DVD player mike the LITE-ON LDV-2001 for example ?

i use the gigarec option with my plextor premium drive on almost every compilation that i burn : SVCD,VCD,Audio CD,Mp3 Audio CD,Data CD ( mostly .avi files, last days also .mp4 files ).
i use the plextool progie only to switch it on and then i run Nero Burning Rom for actual burning.
most standalone dvd players can play any of the above mentioned formats up to gigarec 1.3, some of them even 1.4 ratio ( tried Thomson ).
i always burn these compilations at the lower speed and sometimes i turn also the varirec option on to +1 or +2.
the maximum data amount i have succesfully fit on one medium was 1.22GB on 870MB 99min Multidisk CD-R.
greetz

Wow, cool… I will try some ‘extreme’ gigarec on my Amstrad 3016.

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by pavelinka
Most standalone dvd players can play any of the above mentioned formats up to gigarec 1.3, some of them even 1.4 ratio ( tried Thomson ).