Nero Contest Off-topic chat

vbimport

Nero HAH, last time that thing was any good was nero 6. Any major version beyond that was nothing but bloatware and still is

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2765557]Nero HAH, last time that thing was any good was nero 6. Any major version beyond that was nothing but bloatware and still is[/QUOTE]
Agreed…anything after Nero 6 was a waste of money… :clap:

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2765557]Nero HAH, last time that thing was any good was nero 6. Any major version beyond that was nothing but bloatware and still is[/QUOTE]

Today it is a small utility with Nero 6. It does not work with newer systems, you can not write Bluray, does not support many of the new and the latest recorders, last updated Nero 6.6.1.15c the year 2007 …

I actively use Nero Burning ROM and do not notice loads of RAM and CPU resources.

Doesn’t matter what it is now @czary2mary1 or what it current works with or doesn’t. Point is, a tool with the main purpose being burning shouldn’t take up 8+ GB. after 6 I went to IMGBurn and never looked back. Does all my burning.

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2765570]Doesn’t matter what it is now @czary2mary1 or what it current works with or doesn’t. Point is, a tool with the main purpose being burning shouldn’t take up 8+ GB. after 6 I went to IMGBurn and never looked back. Does all my burning.[/QUOTE]

I do not know of any version of Nero Burning ROM, which would have a greater size as 150 ~ 200MB.
Obviously this is much more like ImgBurn, but with today’s disk capacities irrelevant …
So look at me fired both programs at the same time …

Burning rom is essentially part of the Nero suite. That total size is a couple GB of bloatware full of things a lot of people never use. Which is what drove lost people away from it.

And well any version beyond 6 just plain looked ugly and was a pain to use. Hard to believe that still exist.

It seems to me that the theme for the 20th anniversary of Nero Burning ROM and not any packages or Nero Premium \ Classic feel Suite.
Of course, the program is an essential component of all packages but is a separate program that there is also offered as a separate stand-alone program Nero Burning ROM.
And at least I’m writing about it.

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2765573]Hard to believe that still exist.[/QUOTE]

Still 1 of the best to use as standalone!
Forget the bloatware and just install the burning module…plenty of supported formats,and the twin panel view is almost the same as the 6.xx series had…

Hehehehe. There was a time, and the time was long ago… but I still use it from time to time when I give away a CD-R.
What I am talking about is Nero 5.5 in combination with Yamaha CRW-F1. that is the last version supporting DiscT@2 and allows me to burn greetings or pictures to the leftover data surface of a CD-R.

As I have mentioned before, I hardly ever burn anything DVD as I am more concerned to rip and what formats to convert to to put it on USB and then plug it into the USB port of the TV (I do not even have a stand alone Blu-Ray).
CDs are still burned the utterly retro Feurio1.68/CDRWin4.0H/CDRDAO/EAC and it is hard to beat the ram fingerprints there… All done from XP SP3.

In all fairness though, I am all about music and probably view two-four movies a year and 2.5 hours of TV in an avarage week, but to make up for it, I do listen to four-five music albums each day.
In other words, since I have a backup Acer Veriton 7600GT motherboard (with both SATA and PATA which leaves two Master PATA slots for CD/DVD), processor and multiple backups for the RAM, I am hardly a candidate for the recent versions of the Nero software.

I still hail the PX-40TSi/PX-40TSe connected to Adaptec AHA-2940AU, not too many remember the SCSI days, I guess it places me firmly among the retro-maniacs in this respect. :wink:

I still hail the PX-40TSi/PX-40TSe connected to Adaptec AHA-2940AU, not too many remember the SCSI days, I guess it places me firmly among the retro-maniacs in this respect.

Definitely ! :bigsmile:
My PX 40 TSI was only connected to a cheap Tekram DC-315U instead…:bigsmile:
Now both are put away for the day I’d ever be in need of it again,together with my Plexwriter Premium (v1)
But since AccurateRip exists and since EAC and DBpowerAmp take care of the ripping quality now,instead of the drive itself,I guess that day will be long away…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2765626]Definitely ! :bigsmile:
My PX 40 TSI was only connected to a cheap Tekram DC-315U instead…:bigsmile:
Now both are put away for the day I’d ever be in need of it again,together with my Plexwriter Premium (v1)
But since AccurateRip exists and since EAC and DBpowerAmp take care of the ripping quality now,instead of the drive itself,I guess that day will be long away…[/QUOTE]

Aha, so there actually are others out there who still have it, even if not in use! :iagree:
I thought myself more or less alone by 2016. I really must virtualize my ripstation soon as it is a true window in time back to 200x CD-ripping and indeed could bring a tear to the eye of any nostalgic CD-freak with all the tools available… All programs apart from Elby CloneCD are legally registered, I tried to obtain a legal license for that as well, but was unable as I did not even receive a reply from Elby to my request.

There are some qualities still to be noted… No audio protection schemes seem to apply to the drive and it happily rips copy controlled contents with no prior modification to the CD. I have two internal PX-40, one with FW 1.11 and one with 1.14 and another external also with 1.14 (brand new actually), and another five brand new internals on the shelf (FW 1.11)… a backup 2940 and another two 1960/2960 - still keeping even an additional PCI-X version of the 2960 card… In the end I think I’ll be the last ever to rip using the ASPI setup.
The fun part is that without the PX-40, there would never be any program named EAC as it was initially written to utilize all functions of the drive.
As for the Premium, I have that as well as two Premium2, but they are external (third party). Internally I have an additional PX-W4824A and a PX-760A since the HD is SATA. Then I have various PX-716 internal and externals 708UF even a 708UF2 and an additional PX-760A among a plethora of other drives too numerous to mention on the shelf.

I don’t know, but Nero and Easy CD Creator (apart from when it was Adaptec) really never been tools I have used… I’ve used Microsoft CDImage v2.47 for creating the oddest CD-layouts using long and short names making the CD appear twice as big as it is and that works great for old Windows 98 installs. apart from it, CDRDAO has been a long time friend for optimal control along with CDRWin which I know the ins and outs of far too well. Today, I have one install (my test bench) with IMG-burn, DVD/BluFab Passkey along with the complete tools from Digiarty which was chosen due to a great offer a year or two ago. In addition, I have tools to explore DVD and Blu-Ray Audio discs.
All-in-one tools, as feasible as they may seem, are in reality limiting the control the user have over the process… Then again, as I say, I am nobody when it comes to DVD/Blu-Ray movies, all about music and data (and rescue)… In that respect, even movies and sound are data down to the core of it…:stuck_out_tongue:

Quite impressive backup solution !:iagree:

There are some qualities still to be noted… No audio protection schemes seem to apply to the drive and it happily rips copy controlled contents with no prior modification to the CD

Perhaps my memory doesn’t serve me well,but didn’t it have problems with Doc.Loc?

CDRDAO has been a long time friend for optimal control along with CDRWin which I know the ins and outs of far too well.

You mean the GoldenHawk version,right?:slight_smile:
Back in those days,I played around with lots of cdr-soft,but 1 of my favorites was the almighty Padus Discjuggler…a real pity they got out of business…:frowning:

But EAC still exists,while DBpowerAmp and CueTools came into the spotlight…so,we’re still covered for quality audiorips…:bigsmile:

For me effective have been only four models of SCSI: Plextor PX-W4220Ti, Yamaha CRW4260T x 2 copies and Yamaha CRW4416S.
But more are collectors …only for maintenance from time to time, plug in and test …

[QUOTE=roadworker;2765632]Quite impressive backup solution !:iagree:[/QUOTE]
Have to fight the possibility of hardware fatigue with enough backups :bigsmile:
It is all mostly for nostalgia and to not loose knowledge. I do acknowledge that my testbench take all hits apart from Audio CDs and old PC games.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2765632] Perhaps my memory doesn’t serve me well,but didn’t it have problems with Doc.Loc? [/QUOTE]
It does ring a bell, but I think it was solved using a different version of the firmware. I have never experienced anything recently though.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2765632] You mean the GoldenHawk version,right?:slight_smile:
Back in those days,I played around with lots of cdr-soft,but 1 of my favorites was the almighty Padus Discjuggler…a real pity they got out of business…:([/QUOTE]

Yep, both that and Cdrdao version 1.2.3 by Andreas Mueller (close to the one found here)

[QUOTE=roadworker;2765632] But EAC still exists,while DBpowerAmp and CueTools came into the spotlight…so,we’re still covered for quality audiorips…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

True… I will freeze the project at the moment EAC removes support for the drive or Windows XP whichever comes first - So far, the setup has been able to verify rips not present in any database… which is my contribution.
For rescue, eventually focus shifts to that, none of the data ends up in any database, at least not from my hand (I try to redistribute such ultrarare recordings only as files), is any drive’s worth, but ultimately PX-230A usually in cooperation with ISOBuster or UFS 3 as the first base to get the image of the contents before further processing… Audible or bit-/byte-wise - Whatever it is at, I am processing accessible data any way possible.

Back to on-topic off-topic :bigsmile:
czary2mary1’s information is interesting… While ‘everyone’ seem to be voicing the bloat opinion when it comes to Nero, czary2mary1 makes an excellent point by presenting the facts using a comparison with IMGBurn which is very common.
It all goes to show that if you tweak the installation and choose only the burn engine, Nero is an absolute no-bloat software by today’s standard :clap:

[QUOTE=czary2mary1;2765642]For me effective have been only four models of SCSI: Plextor PX-W4220Ti, Yamaha CRW4260T x 2 copies and Yamaha CRW4416S.
But more are collectors …only for maintenance from time to time, plug in and test …[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, classics :iagree:
I only have one SCSI burner left, the PX-W4012TS (TLA # 0101, March 2003), but it is hardly ever used, only the UltraPlex 40 CD-ROM for music ripping… Oh, I completely forgot, how about a stand alone SCSI-duplicator… I have this (Centronic ports on the back for computer connection/daisy chaining):

I see RW mentioned the Plexwriter CD player, I had an awesome experience with them back in 2007 when Lucent Tech went out of business, and the company I worked for was hired to clean out the building of all tech, including ripping out all the wiring and disposing of it. When the first crew came back to the warehouse to tell us what they actually had there, and what it would take to do the job, they mentioned that all the old desktops were left, minus all the hard drives, but otherwise intact. So me and few others went there and to my surprise there were almost 5,000 desktop computers, some were still working others were not in such good shape, but every last one of them had a Plexwriter CD player in it. And they all worked. At that time we had an Ebay site, and sold most of them for 50.00 bucks shipped but I kept at least 20 of the best ones and put them in my closet. Remember they paid us to trash them, take them away and clean the site. So they cost us nothing but labor. We eventually ripped all the old rigs apart and the chassis all went into the steel hopper. Remember this was 2007, the picture beneath is what it looked like when we got there. In 2007 CD players and DVD players were still viable when building a rig, now not so much, but then everyone wanted a Plexwriter. I had not thought of this until Roadworker mentioned them LOL. And to finish my story, no I do not have them anymore.

And to finish my story, no I do not have them anymore.

Good that you mention this…otherwise you’d be FLOODED with PM’s…:bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2765644]Ooooh, classics :iagree:
I only have one SCSI burner left, the PX-W4012TS (TLA # 0101, March 2003), but it is hardly ever used, only the UltraPlex 40 CD-ROM for music ripping… Oh, I completely forgot, how about a stand alone SCSI-duplicator… I have this (Centronic ports on the back for computer connection/daisy chaining):
[/QUOTE]

SCSI-duplicator but cool wonder … congratulates this unique device.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2765650]I see RW mentioned the Plexwriter CD player, I had an awesome experience with them back in 2007 when Lucent Tech went out of business, and the company I worked for was hired to clean out the building of all tech, including ripping out all the wiring and disposing of it. When the first crew came back to the warehouse to tell us what they actually had there, and what it would take to do the job, they mentioned that all the old desktops were left, minus all the hard drives, but otherwise intact. So me and few others went there and to my surprise there were almost 5,000 desktop computers, some were still working others were not in such good shape, but every last one of them had a Plexwriter CD player in it. And they all worked. At that time we had an Ebay site, and sold most of them for 50.00 bucks shipped but I kept at least 20 of the best ones and put them in my closet. Remember they paid us to trash them, take them away and clean the site. So they cost us nothing but labor. We eventually ripped all the old rigs apart and the chassis all went into the steel hopper. Remember this was 2007, the picture beneath is what it looked like when we got there. In 2007 CD players and DVD players were still viable when building a rig, now not so much, but then everyone wanted a Plexwriter. I had not thought of this until Roadworker mentioned them LOL. And to finish my story, no I do not have them anymore.[/QUOTE]

Now would be handy to clean the factory with such equipment…:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2765650]And to finish my story, no I do not have them anymore.[/QUOTE]

I’ll second that roadworker, that would have even me PM-spamming :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=czary2mary1;2765653]SCSI-duplicator but cool wonder … congratulates this unique device.
[/QUOTE]

Used to be the property of the US government (at least the red sticker shown on the front states ‘US Government’ though I can not be sure of course… I bought it off E-Bay back in January 2011 for reasons unknown, I guess nostalgia hit me :wink: )

I’ll second that roadworker, that would have even me PM-spamming

10 years or more ago,I would’ve probably done the same…:bigsmile:
But TBH,these days I only care for accurately ripped music files,as I hardly burn audiocd’s anymore…
Usually I rip to .cue and .flac and store my music either on harddrives or on dvd+r or blu-ray,but in those cases,the rips are burned as ordinairy data,not audio…:wink: