Nero chopping off file extensions when burning

as i add my files to nero to burn (regular data cd), the filenames sometimes become italicised - this means that the filename is too long… so i shorten it by renaming it. thing is once its burnt it has taken off the file extensionfrom the file - this is very annoying! anyone know why and a potentioal fix to the problem?

i am not sure (at work right now) but when you burn a cd…you have some tabs…next to the " burn disk" one

there are options to keep long file names (joliet??)…keeping long file names can cause problems with the disk on for example win95

Originally posted by studavis
thing is once its burnt it has taken off the file extensionfrom the file - this is very annoying!

Yes. I’ve already said it some times: Nero is bloatware full of stupid bugs…

What version are you using?
I had the same problem some months ago. Now, with version 5.5.9.17, the behaviour is correct: name is shown in italics if the name is too long, and when you rename it, Nero won’t allow you to write more characters than it should.

With other versions, you had to count how many characters you had written because if you wrote more, then the extension would be changed. In other versions the program simply broke down when I selected “Rename” :a

If you upgrade, be prepared to find new bugs. Since I installed 5.5.9.17, Nero takes half a minute to open…

i’m using the very latest version 5.5.10.20

this is so annoying! anyone had any similair experiences with this?

did you read my post?? and looked it up in nero??

yeah, but i don’t want 8.3 filenames, this is 2003!! and i use XP, compatibilty with older windows isn’t gonna be a problem

@ damiandimitri, it’s not a problem reading or writing long file names.

For example, if the maximum length of the name was 8, this would be the problem:
A file like this: “John Lennon - Imagine.mp3”
will be converted to “John Len.non”
instead of “John Len.mp3”

so, you can’t play automatically a file with “.non” extension…

this shouldn’t be a problem with nero…i never had it…
it should be able to show the whole name

does it happen with iso level 2 (31 characters)??

Originally posted by damiandimitri
[B]it should be able to show the whole name

does it happen with iso level 2 (31 characters)?? [/B]

Well, I put the example with 8 characters, but the limit in Nero is about 64.
The problem is that if you exceed 64 characters, you lose the the extension…

I haven’t tried iso level 2, because now it works well in 5.5.9.17 with iso level 1, and I don’t want to install the previous versions…

I wonder how PrassiPrimo or Veritas RecordNow support up to 212 characters and I have no problem to read those CDs… :frowning:

cdmate hasn’t the problem also

Well for the record, I just made a test with Nero 551020 running on 2000 Pro SP3.

Made a file with an extension of 130 caracters, then let Nero dock it as it saw fit, then burnt it to an Image.nrg.

Then I had a look in the Image, and it had docked it properly, as in reduced the lengt of name, and keept the extension asi t should.

So you guys must be doing something wrong, or perhaps it’s XP which is buggy. :smiley:

it is not caused by win xp…works ok with me

Originally posted by Oz.
So you guys must be doing something wrong, or perhaps it’s XP which is buggy. :smiley:

It’s not XP, it’s Nero.
I’ve tried this (no need to burn) in Nero 5.5.9.17.
Put a file with this name in an ISO compilation:
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890.mp3

Letters will be italics, so press “Rename” and delete only the last “0”.
Now the name will be converted to:
“1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234”

losing the extension already in the compilation. You can see it before burning.

It seems that if I don’t modify a long name and let Nero chop the characters when it warns that there are too long names, then the job is done correctly.

The problem is when you delete characters, but the name is still too long… sometimes it works with some file names, but sometimes not!
The name is not italic anymore when you rename even if it’s still too long, so it’s difficult to see when you have to stop deleting (besides, the compilation windows is usually really short and the icon associated with extension is not changed)

The version that I use 5.5.7.7 has the option to relax ISO standards so that you can have more than 8 levels in the path and over 255 characters in the path/filename, but it patently doesn’t do this and curtails the path/filename after 128 characters and the extension as well - will an upgrade sort this out - I guess not looking at your posts?