Nero CDSpeed scanning problem

vbimport

I have been having this problem using CDSpeed to scan my DVDs, and I hope somebody here can help me with. Anytime I scan for disc quality using Nero CDSpeed, almost every time, the first time it starts to read it, it gives me an unacceptably high PI failure (anywhere from 6 to much, much higher), resulting in a score of 0. This always happens at the very beginning of the disc, at the first instant of the scan, then the rest of the disc reads great. However, I know this is incorrect, so if I stop the scan and restart it, and do this over and over anywhere form 3 to 10 times, eventually it reads fine, and the PI failure stays at 1 or 2, rarely hitting 3. I use only Verbatim discs (usually MCC 004 or 003), and it happens on virtually every disc. My drive is a Lite-On SHM-165P6S (firmware MS0R). The quality reading of these discs are always great, once I have restarted the scan a bunch of times, but it almost never gives a correct reading at the first scan. I can’t believe this hasn’t happened to anybody else. I don’t recall this happening to me with my older burner, but about 2 years ago, when I got this burner, this has always been a problem, and it drives me nuts. I have tried different versions of CDspeed (currently 4.7.7.15), and it makes no difference. Can this be a glitch with my burner, or CDSpeed? Can anybody offer any help?

By the way, this looks to be a great place for advice. Glad I found this forum, and please forgive me if this is not posted in the correct place.

Welcome to CDFreaks. :slight_smile:

What scanning speed did you choose?

I usually scan at maximum speed.

The LiteOn SHM-165P6S as well as other LiteOn drives will sometimes produce a “phantom” spike when starting scanning at high speed. Mine usually doesn’t do it at the beginning of the disc though.

You could try lowering the scanning speed a notch or two and see if that helps.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

So I guess this is nothing to be concerened with? Can I just ignore this if the rest of the scan goes well? Thanks for the reply.

You should be able to safely ignore it. :slight_smile:

Thanks alot for the replies. I’m already finding lots of very interesting info here. Great forum!

try doing a burst rate before performing a quality scan. on the benchmark tab press ‘F6’.