Nero CD Speed won't let me run overburn test

I start Nero CD Speed (v1.02) and insert a blank medium CD(Verbatim DataLifePlus 80min) and go into Overburning Test…
In the “CD Speed:Overburning test” window it shows Write Speed 52x, Test capacity 89.57.74, the Simulate box is greyed out and the RAW mode box is blank.

Now for some reason… the Start Button is greyed out and I cannot select it. This does the same on my Plextor PX-W1610A drive as well.
I’ve reinstalled everything.
Can someone help me figure this out please?

Some programs (for example CloneCD) have a Hide CD-R function which is enabled by default.
If such a function is active then Nero CD Speed cannot detect blank media. In that case you cannot run the overburning test.

Erik nice to have you around helping people. Welcome :wink:

@ Babbo

I aint sure if you have to for simulating overburning with NCDS, but maybe it is greyed out cauze you havent enabled overburning in Nero’s expert features.

Thank you for replying…

First of all I looked for Hide CD-R function in CloneCD and couldn’t find it so I did a full uninstall of CloneCD.
I also double checked to see that the Enable overburn ‘disc-at-once’ box has been checked.

Both burner’s are working great.
I’ve made a few backup’s of data and sd2.8 discs, no audio yet.

I’m still stumped as to why NCDS won’t let me run the overburn test. :confused:

Feurio has a “Test Capacity of CDR” (under CD-Writer “Extras” menu), that can store the tests made in a DB, and your drives are perfectly supported (the LiteOn needs the latest driver update).

I’ve overburned a lot of Verbatim Azo, and typical length is about 82:0x minutes.
If it’s an audio CD you can forget about the LeadOut, and use all those minutes.
I usually overburn until 81:30.

Well, it seems that the LiteOn doesn’t support a “Capacity Test”:
http://www.feurio.com/English/Writerdb/Data/liteon_ltr52246s.html

Plextor can:
http://www.feurio.com/English/Writerdb/Data/plextor_plexwriter1610a.html

Driver update for LiteOn:
http://www.feurio.com/English/Download/download_driverupdate.shtml

I guess you can always do a simulation and see what’s the point where it fails with LiteOn…

I also double checked to see that the Enable overburn ‘disc-at-once’ box has been checked.

I dont quite get what you’re saying here. Have you enabled overburning in Nero?

You have to go file->preferences->expert features to do that, where you will also state till what minute you wanna overburn. You somewhat have missed that.

@minix
I’ve never tried Feurio.
Thanks for the info and links.
I’ll try it :slight_smile:

@Hemispasm
Yes, I have it enabled.

Ok… according to the information from Feurio site, my plextor is capable and my liteon is not capable to test overburn.

If so, my plextor should be able to run the Overburn test in NCDS.

Why does Overburn test not work on both my burners?
I can’t launch the test if the “START” button is greyed out and not selectable :frowning:

I’ve been through the options and enabled overburn in Nero.
I thought I had said that in my first post… lol

Anyways, I’ll keep trying.

Oops I meant to say my second post… not my first post.

Pulling my foot out of my mouth now… lol

Hey look! A preview Button … :slight_smile:

Originally posted by babbo
If so, my plextor should be able to run the Overburn test in NCDS.

No, according to the link, Plextor is able to do the test with Feurio, not necessarily NCDS.

Try Feurio CD-Writer to see if the problem is with software or with hardware.
That option in Feurio has been there for years (since the first English version at least), and Feurio is less buggy and better desingned than Nero. The drivers are very polished in Feurio.

Originally posted by Hemispasm
Erik nice to have you around helping people. Welcome :wink:

Thanks.
It’s nice to be here :slight_smile:

Originally posted by babbo
Why does Overburn test not work on both my burners?
I can’t launch the test if the “START” button is greyed out and not selectable :frowning:

The overburn test should work with both drives although you cannot get usable results with the LiteOn.
The only thing I can think of is that CD Speed for some reason doesn’t see that there is a blank disc inserted.
If you put in a blank disc does it show up correctly on the main screen? (Disc Type should be ‘Blank’ and Disc Length should show the available capacity)

I have the same problem too, however, I’m not sure if it’s my new burner (HP DVD 300i) or the software.

The ‘start’ button in the overburn test screen is gray out. The CD-DVD speed tool alos won’t let me do a CD quality test either!

I have the latest Nero 6 and the latest CD-DVD Speed Test tool!

Does anyone know if it has to do with the burner or if there might be conflict from other program such as Alcohol 120%?

THanks!

Yes there was a conflict with Alcohol 120% with previous versions of NCDS and Alcohol which i have experienced myself. I dont think there’s any problem with current versions though.

Thanks, Hemispasm.

Do you know if there’s a work around with the conflict? ie. turn off some options or something.

Thx!:bigsmile:

I mentioned that there was a compatability problem between the 2 in previous versions, being absolutely sure that it has been resolved.

Just checked with latest Alcohol version 1.4.8 Build 1222 and Nero CD-DVD Speed 2.10.2 (not the latest) and contrary to my belief the bug still exists. I somehow think the problem is related with the ASPI manager, nevertheless the start button in the overburn window is greyed out, no matter which interface i use in Alcohol (native aspi or Alcohol’s).

Using the latest version of Nero CD DVD Speed 2.11 there is no problem though. So there you go :wink:

try enabling the raw-method.

i’ll have to do this or my dvr-106 would not do an overburn test.

Are we on a MoBo IDE port or a PCI/RAID adaptor? It’s a no-go for adaptors

Originally posted by FutureProof
Are we on a MoBo IDE port or a PCI/RAID adaptor? It’s a no-go for adaptors
I am on integrated raid here, but dont think it matters, since i can reproduce the error with specific versions, while with the latest version of NCDS there’s no problem.