Nero CD Speed question

Is the version that comes with the full Nero Burning ROM 5.5 just a demo of CD Speed? Cuz I can’t get the manual to work (I click it, nothing happens), and I put a blank CD-R in yet can’t create a data CD or test CD in the CD Speed program. Am I supposed to do something? I put in a blank CD-R, go to Advanced DAE / Burn a Test CD, but I can’t click the Start button, it’s faded out. The thing says “No CD-R(W)” yet I know I have one in.

Make sure you have selected the right drive in the drop-down. The current version of CDSpeed is 1.02. you can download it HERE . Then just replace the copy of CDSpeed.exe that is located in the Ahead folder, (Toolkit), and it’ll run just fine.

Still won’t work. The Start button is un-pressable. I’m supposed to have a blank CD-R in the drive, correct? I’ve tried both drives, still nothing.

It’s like not even recognizing there is a CD in the drive. In the main window, it says Blank at the bottom, showing it knows there is a blank CD. But if I go to “CD-R info” or any other menu option, all the fields will be blank, as if there was no CD-R.

What does InfoTool say about your setup, does Nero see the drives? do you have other burning software installed?

Nero 5.5 works fine, I’ve burned CDs with both drives often. I have a bunch of other burning software installed, but not running at the same time.

I have a bunch of other burning software installed

CloneCD and at least one other have settings to “ignore CD info” or some such thing. this interferes with the Nero tools, i think.
There are other threads here on this problem. Does InfoTool work?
your solution is somewhere in the other programs you have installed.

I have Clone CD installed. In InfoTools, it does say there is a “Blank CD-R”, but no other info about it is displayed.

I’m in the process of backing everything on my system up now and I’m gonna do a complete format (not just for this reason, a couple of things), so I’ll just install Nero first and see how it goes.

I’m gonna do a complete format

Yuk:Z
Word to the wise: Drive Image
You can make an image of a freshly installed hard drive, and use this instead of re-installing everything. Takes about 20 min to have a fresh system.

Ya, I know all about that. Not gonna work this time. I have a 120GB hard drive filled with god knows what, I’m weeding crap out, burning the good stuff to DVD-RW’s. Windows is freakin’ out a bit because I installed some theme modification software that took over (even after uninstall, this “ObjectZip” screws up my rar and zip files), etc. Plus, in between I’m changing my hardware config a bit. I got an Audigy 2 and some other new stuff. I’ll do a nice clean install and then make a Drive Image of that for next time.

Here’s the thread I was looking for, right next to this one.
here

Originally posted by rdgrimes

Yuk:Z
Word to the wise: Drive Image
You can make an image of a freshly installed hard drive, and use this instead of re-installing everything. Takes about 20 min to have a fresh system.

Well, not really. WinXP’s system restore does a better job at reversing what you did. Takes up quite a lot of space, but works for both NTFS and FAT32. DI2K2 works, but is buggy and doesn’t like NTFS. I’ve tried imaging 2 virtually identical systems w/ DI2K2 and while the first system backed up flawlessly, the second system wouldn’t have it any way. Both systems were fresh installs w/ WinXP Pro & SP1 patch. But then again, I’ve always prefer clean install when major shit happens or system’s acting funny. Takes about an hour to install everything on a 20GB HD. The way I see it, if you don’t want to take a whole day reinstalling (fdisk + format) system, get a small HD for C: and get huge HD for D:.