Nero CD-DVD Speed questions

I’m trying to get started with disc/burn quality evaluation software, disc scans, and that sort of thing. I guess I must start somewhere, and I chose Nero CD-DVD Speed for starters. I’ve read enough of the user guide at
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563/
and a few other sources to have a fair idea of what’s involved. I’ve also run quite a few Disc Quality scans on my recorded DVDs, and I suppose my main question is…

Is the Disc Quality score a good enough indicator? My Disc Quality scores have been between 90-95% on a good sampling of my recorded DVDs. Is that good enough to say that my disc library is generally OK? In other words, should I worry about a 90% quality score? At what score percentage should I worry about the disc?

Or must I try to get more involved in evaluating the specific PIE and PIF graphs?

Also is PO the same as PIF? Is PIE the same as PI? There seems to be a gap in defining these terms between different software.

From what I’ve read, some gurus suggest that PIF is most important. Also I see that the Disc Quality score can be good when PIF is good, despite a relatively high PIE. Is this a correct summation?

I’m reluctant to post any of my disc quality scans here because I don’t see a thread for Nero CD-DVD Speed scans. KProbe seems to have the upper hand. Maybe I’ll get around to trying it also, eventually. In the meantime, can somebody steer me to more specifics about the Nero CD-DVD Speed software, specifically the critical evaluation of disc quality scans?

Thanks.

• Moved thread from [I]Blank Media[/I] forum to [I]Media Testing/Identifying Software[/I] sub-forum * *

OK, so where is it? I can’t find it. Why don’t you give a link when moving? These forum structures are too complicated.

[quote=JohnnyBob1;1975056]OK, so where is it? I can’t find it. Why don’t you give a link when moving? These forum structures are too complicated.[/quote] Where is it? …uhm… right here! And with a redirect in the Blank Media forum pointing to this very thread. :wink:

[QUOTE=JohnnyBob1;1974917]
Is the Disc Quality score a good enough indicator? My Disc Quality scores have been between 90-95% on a good sampling of my recorded DVDs. Is that good enough to say that my disc library is generally OK? In other words, should I worry about a 90% quality score? At what score percentage should I worry about the disc?[/quote]
The quality score can be ignored in my opinion, because it’s not fully reliable. In fact, some discs with a quality score under 90% are still very good burned media. The scan only is not sufficient to determine disc quality, because also a TRT is needed to determine the disc readability.

This is the best way to evaluate a scan. Reading the graph is the best way. Usually it’s sufficient to see if there are big or large spikes of PIF errors, and not rely only on the total value: a disc with 1000 PIF uniformly distributed on the entire disc is better than a disc with 100 PIF total all concentrated on a single spike.

PO, PIF and PIE refers to different types of errors measured on the disc. I think that DrageMester can explain this much better than me :flower:

PIF and PO are the worst errors on the disc, and of course the lower are these the better is the disc. PIE are important too, because usually PIE tends to become PIF with time, so a high PIE amount is not a good thing on a burned disc.

[QUOTE=JohnnyBob1;1974917]I’m reluctant to post any of my disc quality scans here because I don’t see a thread for Nero CD-DVD Speed scans. KProbe seems to have the upper hand. Maybe I’ll get around to trying it also, eventually. In the meantime, can somebody steer me to more specifics about the Nero CD-DVD Speed software, specifically the critical evaluation of disc quality scans? [/QUOTE]
Scans here in the forum are not posted based on the software used, but are classified based on the drive used to burn the disc. So you can find a thread for almost any burner model.

For example, if you have a liteon 20A4P, you can post your scans in this thread, whatever software are you using to do scans (kprove, cd-dvd speed, plextools, etc)

[QUOTE=geno888;1975136] if you have a liteon 20A4P, you can post your scans in this thread, whatever software are you using to do scans (kprove, cd-dvd speed, plextools, etc)[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I have a Lite-On LH-20A1P which seems to do quality scans OK. Is there a proper thread to post those scans?

Also from what I’ve seen, people are usually posting scans with very little or no commentary. The assumption seems to be that everyone already knows what they mean. But I need some feedback on my scans…

I think a search might have been in order & if you want feedback on your scans ask for it. Took me a minute to find this.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/lite-lh-20a1p-post-your-scans-here-201092/

P.S. found the proper forum and have tried a post there, but have doubts that I’m observing all the protocols

I am sure somebody will let you know, if you are or not.

[QUOTE=JohnnyBob1;1975674]P.S. found the proper forum and have tried a post there, but have doubts that I’m observing all the protocols[/QUOTE]

The “protocol” is pretty simple :slight_smile:

Basically you only need to run a scan @4x with your liteon drive, then save the pic in PNG format.

Then, (strongly suggested but not an absolute must) you can run the TRT and again save the picture as PNG format.

Finally post the pics as attachment (linking to an external image host site is very often slow and full of noisy banners) :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;1975867]The “protocol” is pretty simple :slight_smile:

Basically you only need to run a scan @4x with your liteon drive, then save the pic in PNG format.

Then, (strongly suggested but not an absolute must) you can run the TRT and again save the picture as PNG format.

Finally post the pics as attachment (linking to an external image host site is very often slow and full of noisy banners) :)[/QUOTE]

What’s a “TRT”? Part of my problem is all the undefined abbreviations, so I really don’t know what that means…

oops :o

TRT = Transfer Rate Test. It can be run in the “Benchmark” tab of cd-dvd speed and pressing the F2 key :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;1975903]oops :o

TRT = Transfer Rate Test. It can be run in the “Benchmark” tab of cd-dvd speed and pressing the F2 key :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yes, I can do that, and am running one now. I’ve seen them posted but don’t understand them. There are two lines in the graph, a flat yellow line and an ascending green line. Neither color is defined on the graph. Obviously the scales are at the left and right of the graph, but again with the units undefined. So I don’t know which line corresponds to which scale of units, etc.

[running Windows XP Home SP2, Lite-On LH-20A1P KL0N]

Well, I’ve got over 2 months under my belt and still have some questions about Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.15. Apparently Nero doesn’t publish a user guide for it, and simply refers such questions here to this forum. So…

The Nero CD-DVD Speed “Save” (under Options > Save) function doesn’t work right. I can change the path by clicking the little folder on the right then browse for my desired folder. The desired path and folder is then displayed on that dialog box. However when I go to actually save a graph, that is ignored. No matter what I’ve tried, it always comes up to save the graph in the My Documents folder. So I must then browse and find my desired folder again, which is a big repetitive nuisance! In other words, it won’t use the path and folder which I designated. There is apparently no .ini file to change such things, and after 150+ scans and saves, I’d now like to find out if there’s a cure. Is there any way to fix this?

What about the freeze at the layer break on DL discs? About half of the time when I run those quality scans, Nero CD-DVD Speed freezes at the layer break. Sometimes it continues on its own after awhile, after maybe 5-15 minutes. Sometimes it appears to be permanently frozen, but may continue if I do some activity on my computer such as minimize and maximize the Nero CD-DVD Speed window, open a CAD window, or whatever. Is there any way to avoid freezes at the layer break?

Again re DL disc quality scans… How significant is the PIE or PIF spike or freeze which occurs at the layer break? Should/can it be ignored? The quality scan shows that there is usually a change in read speed at the layer break - the read speed line dips, sometimes to zero. I presume that might account for the PIE/PIF spike which sometimes happens, sometimes not. Can someone knowledgable please discuss this? Thanks.

I think you should be looking a the “Capture” options instead for saving scans. Can’t comment on your other questions as I don’t use DL discs.

[QUOTE=Cressida;2005414]I think you should be looking a the “Capture” options instead for saving scans.[/QUOTE]Thanks. Yes, that fixes my save problem.

Can’t comment on your other questions as I don’t use DL discs.
Anybody? I’ve read a little and believe others are having similar problems/questions re the DL layer break in quality scans.

DL scans are buggy with liteons. I’ve had problems with some newer versions of CDspeed but not others.

Overall, I don’t burn or scan DL much as it pisses me off if it stops half way through.

Make sure you disable the “enable jitter” function as liteons cannot seem to scan the second layers jitter. So if it’s enabled, disable it and see if that works.

I have a question about Nero DiskSpeed that comes with Nero 8. Have a look at the following screenshot:

In section Extended Information “Write Strategies” are shown. What are they about? The best speed in order to write this DVD with the particular drive?

[QUOTE=geno888;1975867]

[/QUOTE]

I have been running Quality Scans on a number of different speeds and firmwares (14 so far).

However, I have been running them at 8X :doh: Should I have been running them at 4X all along !?!?

Also, I have been running these scans to get the best set up so my backups will have the least probability of skipping.

Are you saying that the Disc Quality scan has no relation to whether or not a DVD (movie) will skip?

Should I be running a TRT scan instead?

I have read all of the guides and I have posted a bunch of scan results in the Pioneer 215D scans thread.

I am still feeling pretty uncertain about what I am doing to this point. All I want to do is ensure that I am doing everything in my power so my DVD backups will have the least chance of skipping.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
JOe K.

Hi,[quote=tjcinnamon;2217111]I have been running Quality Scans on a number of different speeds and firmwares (14 so far).

However, I have been running them at 8X :doh: Should I have been running them at 4X all along !?!?[/quote]this depends on the drive that is used. It’s okay to scan @8x with a 6S series Liteon or a Nexperia Benq.

(…)
Are you saying that the Disc Quality scan has no relation to whether or not a DVD (movie) will skip?

Should I be running a TRT scan instead?
You movie can skip even your scan looks good. An additional TRT (preferrably on a poor reader) might help revealing readability issues.

With scans, you can “monitor” your discs: a repeated scan (with the same scanning drive and parameters) shows if something has changed with your disc after some time.

Michael