Nero CD DVD Speed - CAV & CLV

Hi @all. I am writing a research paper for school, and want to point out the difference between CAV and CLV by showing screenshots of “nero cd dvd speed”. Is there an option where I can choose which method to use during the benchmark? Or does this depend on the CD device or the type of CD itself? If yes, which ones for which method?

I’d be very glad about useful responses. Thank you!

Hi [B]m-e-r-c-u-r-y[/B], Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

CAV, CLV, Z-CLV or P-CAV are chosen by the recording drive depending on the selected burning speed and depending on how the firmware has been programmed.

Most desktop drives will burn DVDs using CLV at 6x burning speed and slower (4x and slower on some drives).

Most desktop drives will burn CD-Rs using CLV at 16x burning speed and slower.

The fastest supported speed by a drive will almost always be CAV but there are a few exceptions.

DVDs recorded at 8x will be either P-CAV or Z-CLV depending on drive and sometimes depending on the media.

CD-Rs recorded at 20-32x will be either P-CAV or Z-CLV depending on drive.

Higher recording speeds can be Z-CLV, P-CAV or CAV.

What drive(s) do you have available for recording DVDs?

Thank you! This helps me a lot.
Nero says I have a HL-DT-STDVD-RW_GWA-4040N_1.02
Also, I do have access to other computers with different drives, but I still have to look up the name of the drives.

By the way, could you maybe tell me where do you have that information from? (It’s of course not like I don’t trust you, but teachers always want students to cite sources - maybe you know what I am talking about).

[quote=m-e-r-c-u-r-y;1940124]Nero says I have a HL-DT-STDVD-RW_GWA-4040N_1.02[/quote]The LG GWA-4040N is a laptop drive.

My guess is that it would be able to burn a CD-R at 8x CLV but I’m not sure whether it uses CAV, P-CAV or Z-CLV for the higher burning speeds

By the way, could you maybe tell me where do you have that information from? (It’s of course not like I don’t trust you, but teachers always want students to cite sources - maybe you know what I am talking about).
Original research combined with seeing tons of “Create Disc” tests here at CDFreaks. :wink: