Nero can Dup DVD, but cannot create DVD-Video

vbimport

Man I’m stumped.

Specs:

1. memorex dvd burner (dvd 16+/-dl4rwid2)
  2. latest nero ultra (6.6.0.16)
  3. stand-alone dvd player (samsung dvd-s221)
  4. dvd-r media (HP dvd+r 8x)
  5. files from usenet (VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB, VTS_01_4.VOB)

Using Nero I can dup a DVD (DVD Copy) onto the media in #4 above and it will play perfectly in my stand-alone dvd player.

However I have not been able to create a dvd (DVD-Video) that will play on my stand-alone player using files that I have retrieved from usenet. My stand-alone player cannot read the DVD. I put all of the files in the video-ts folder in Nero.

When creating the DVD-Video I have taken the default options. Using the bitsetting utility I have set the booktype to DVD-ROM hoping that will help. No Go Joe … the player still cannot read the created DVD.

I am out of ideas. Can anyone suggest a possible solution? Or why the player can play a duped DVD but not one created by the DVD-Video option?

Thank you.

If that’s all the files you have, I think you’re missing one. VTS_01_0.VOB should be required.

That’s interesting.

Isn’t VTS_01_0.VOB asscociated with the menu? The nfo on these files did make mention of there being no menu.

You said it’s required. Do you know if it’s required on all players … or just on older ones?

One last question: Do you know if there’s a way to dummy-up a VTS_01_0.VOB file?

Thank you very much for the quick reponse too.

Most of the DVDs I burn do not have this particular file.

It’s possible that it is expected by the BUP & IFO files but is missing. With IFOEDIT you can recreate the BUP & IFO files to match the vobs that you have. Might solve your problem.

Come to think of it, maybe it’s not required, I don’t know. I’d probably load up my VIDEO_TS.IFO in IfoEdit and do a “Get VTS Sectors” and see if that comes up with anything.

Thank you folks for the suggestions. I will try IFOEDIT to see what is going on.

I think I might try playing these coasters on someone else’s stand-alone player too. Maybe it’s just my $35 home player.

Thanks again.