Nero Burning Speed Issue

I have a small annoying issue.

First of all, I am using a BTC BCE3212IM 32x10x40x burner, Windows 2000 Pro 5.00.2195 SP2, and Nero Burning Rom 5.5.6.9 OEM without any burning problems at all.

I’m also using Fujifilm (Taiyo Uden) 700mb media from a 50 pack I bought at Best Buy. They are labeled 48x media, but I only get two speed options for burning. The drop-down combo box lists 16x and 8x with the media loaded. I get 32x, 10x, and 6x with no media loaded. I used an older Verbatim CD and the options were expanded to 24x, 20x, 16x, and 8x.

Best of all, my roommate used the same media, 5.5.9.9 version of Nero, and Windows XP (not W2K). His drive is a Lite-On 40125S, and his selection of speeds were radically different. 40,32,24,20,16,12,8,4 with the Media loaded, or not.

Does anybody have any ideas to offer on how I can fix this? I know… even at 32x, I save a very small amount of time, but it would still be nice to burn on these Taiyo Udens at the maximum speed possible.

Thanks!

I would start by updating your Nero to the current version.
Also, update your drive’s firmware.

Bummer. Well, I updated Nero to 5.5.9.17, and I still have the same problem. I really wanted to avoid a firmware update, believing firmly (no pun intended) that if it works, don’t fix it.

I guess the question is, is burning at up to 32x on these discs worth the risk of a firmware update?

At least I have a backup 16x burner, just in case.

Time to research firmware updates for this drive. This is a great site/forum and I’m sure I’ll find something on it here.

Thanks for the help.

Oh boy. So much for that idea. BTC’s website and firmware support belongs in a dirty toilet, soon to be flushed… TWICE!

I think I’ll settle for 16x, at least until I buy a Lite-On, or anything that isn’t a BTC. :a :Z