Nero - buffer reaches zero level

Hi,

I have a SONY 40X Drive.

I use Nero to burn CDs.

The CD WRITER Buffer remains around 80 % but the buffer in memory goes to 1%

Any solutions ??

I have a 80 GB 7200 RPM Hdd - can do a 44 MBPS transfer rate.

Bye.

you need to provide more info:
What are you burning, what’s the source. What size is your read buffer set at? Do you have DMA enabled and functioning on ALL drives?

Hi,

I was burning Red Hat Linux ISO Files.

Read buffers are at defaults of nero (i have not chnaged anything).

DMA is enabled in both CD Writer & HDD.

In nero there are two bars - one that shows CD WRiter buffer and the other that shows read buffer (from memory ?)

The Writer buffer is at 90 - 80%

But the read buffer drops down to 0 for a long time.

Although the CDs burn perfect - but I was still wondering why this was happening ?

Bye.

This happens because your HD is not keeping up with the burn, which is why Nero uses the read buffer in the first place. If the file being burned is smaller than the read buffer, the buffer will indicate low normally, but if the file is larger, it should indicate full untill the final portion of the burn that equals the buffer size. You will find the buffer setting in preferences - buffer tab. There are any number of reasons why the HD may not be keeping up with the burn.

Hi,

I have tested the HDD spead in Nero > Prefferences.

I shows 43 MBPS.

Anyway,

What is the solution ?

Should I increase the buffer ?

But again - it doesnt give such problems when I use 32 X speed.

Bye.

It’s almost impossible to say, given the info provided. Try running the tests in CDSpeed, transfer rate test with a blank CDR, “create data CD”, etc. If you are burning lots of small files, be sure to select “cache files smaller than …” in the burn dialogue. As another test, you can select the image recorder, and burn your session to an image file, then burn that image file to CDR. If a 700MB image file cannot burn at 40x, then you’ve got a HD problem.

Do a scandisc on your HDD to make sure there are no errors. Try some other burning softwares, like the freeware BurnAtOnce, its great and its free. And try burning some other stuff, like MP3s.

Ok, here’s a few other things to try, for WinXP. Well it works the same for Win2K, and the other OS can’t be too different.

1. Update Nero to the newest version, 5.5.9.6 ( Last Leaked) or 5.5.9.14 (New Official Release)

Get 5.5.9.6 Here | Mirror

Get 5.5.9.14 Here | Mirror | Mirror | Mirror | Mirror | Mirror

1. Update your CD-RW’s firmware to the newest release.

2. Go to the Control Panel, under Administrative Tools, select Services, find “IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service,” then switch it to disabled from manual/automatic.

3. Go to the Control Panel, go to System. Select the Hardware tab, then go to Device Manager, then expand “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers,” go to “Secondary IDE Channel,” and make sure DMA is enabled, if it is already, but it says its in PIO mode then go immediately to step 5.

5 Follow step 4 to the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” part and delete/uninstall the “VIA Busmaster IDE Controller” (or whatever your motherboard chipset’s busmaster controller is), now reboot the pc and follow step 4.

1. Your ASPI drivers may be bad, so try to use ForceASPI 1.7, and change it to 4.60, don’t worry, this program has the best ASPI drivers for WinXP and makes an auto backup of your ASPI drivers so you can do a rollback.

Download it here | Find mirrors here | Get more info here

7.You might have a VIA chipset, www.viaarena.com, so if you haven’t already, consider upgrading to the newest v4.43, or maybe be back to the last v4.42(P2). If you have some other chipset, like Intel, please go to www.intel.com, and find the newest INF drivers release and also the Intel Application Accelerator (IAA), now v2.2.2.2150.

Download the last VIA 4-in-1 drivers v4.42(P2) drivers here

Download the latest VIA 4-in-1 v4.43 drivers here

Download the latest Intel Application Accelerator drivers here

1. Consider upgrading your BIOS

That’s all I can think of for now, please test one at a time (cept 4 and 5 tho), in whatever order you want.

Oh n please post your results,
DFourthHorseman

Hi,

Thanks very much.

I have upgraded to Nero 5.5.9.14

Enabled DMA in both CD WRITER & HDD.

I have Win 98 SE - so most of the Administrative tools wont work :confused:

Its a Nvidia Chipset - nforce.

Actual mobo is - ASUS A7N266-VM

Bye.