Nero ASPI vs. system ASPI

NERO Tools says I’m using Nero ASPI, Wouldn’t I be better off with just the system ASPI?
Do I even need ASPI if nothing in my XP PC is SCSI

from WIKIPEDIA–
ASPI, the Advanced SCSI Programming Interface provides an API originated by Adaptec which standardises communication on a computer bus between a SCSI host adapter on the one hand and SCSI (and ATAPI) peripherals on the other.

Thanks,
-J

ASPI is not a part of the XP install. ASPI would normally consist of a DLL called ‘wnaspi32.dll’ in the ‘C:\Windows\System32’ folder and a driver (SYS)called ‘aspi32.sys’ in the ‘C:\Windows\System32\drivers’ folder. The Nero version of ASPI seems to bypass the driver and only include the ‘wnaspi32.dll’ file. Other ASPI versions seem to do the same thing.

The version of ASPI you need really depends on the program you are trying to use. Some programs have their own ASPI (wnaspi32.dll) in their application folder. These typically do not use the driver (aspi32.sys) file.

You don’t need to have any SCSI devices to need ASPI. The ASPI interface is used by many programs to work with normal IDE type devices (probably SATA and USB as well).

RM

I uninstalled my ASPI n decided to use Nero’s…BAD Misstake…
My DVDRom & DVDWriter are SATA so I decided to Reinstall ASPI, this time I installed ver:4.70…Another BAD Misstake…
Installed ver: 4.60 and EveryThing WORKS Great…

Thanks RICHMAN. Some day this EE will learn about programming.

With Windows NT 5.x (Windows 2000) and newer, ASPI is absolutely not needed.
The bad thing: If an additional ASPI driver was installed, it is hard to totally get rid of that :frowning:

Michael

This is beyond the scope of this group most likely, but…

“does this make ASPI a DLL?” or is it an executable or something wlse?

Hi,[QUOTE=jhn_Wagoner;1968378]
“does this make ASPI a DLL?” or is it an executable or something wlse?[/QUOTE]ASPI is a driver. Depending on the manufacturer, it comes as a couple of several DLLs (Adaptec ASPI) or as a single DLL file (Nero ASPI).
As already mentioned, ASPI drivers are not needed (Nero ASPI is only a kind of link to Windows integrated SPTI interface) with Windows 2000 and newer. It was useful with Win9x, but now it’s obsolete.
Some applications still want ASPI for some reason, in that case, just throw a copy of the Nero ASPI DLL into the program’s directory.

Michael

[QUOTE=jhn_Wagoner;1968378]This is beyond the scope of this group most likely, but…

“does this make ASPI a DLL?” or is it an executable or something wlse?[/QUOTE]

DLL is Dynamic Link Library, which is generally seen also a program, just not makde executable…

[QUOTE=jhn_Wagoner;1968378]This is beyond the scope of this group most likely, but…

“does this make ASPI a DLL?” or is it an executable or something wlse?[/QUOTE]

To add to what chef said… ASPI can be just a DLL or it can be a DLL coupled with a driver, which is typically a SYS file loated in your ‘\system32\drivers’ folder.

Adaptec ASPI has ‘wnaspi32.dll’ located at ‘\system32’ and ‘aspi32.sys’ located at ‘\system32\drivers’.

Nero ASPI generally has ‘wnaspi32.dll’ located at ‘\system32’.

The DLL can also be located in the folder with the program you are trying to use. If this is true, then that one will be used instead of the one in your ‘\system32’ folder.

RM

the best thing about adaptec aspi is the killaspi part, it works great

nero’s aspi, according to dvdd’s author was one of the only good ones

clonecd’s elby was another good interface

spti is now standard and has made these obsolete/ancient history