Nero and WMA

vbimport

#1

does Nero accept .wma files for the creation of an audio cd ?


#2

Yes, but you must go to Nero’s site and download a patch.


#3

Originally posted by vishtaspa
does Nero accept .wma files for the creation of an audio cd ?

And if at all you do burn em’ be prepared for some really awful sounding tracks :bigsmile:


#4

It is NOT a patch, it’s a plug-in, very different from a patch.
And the quality depends of you proc speed… anyway it is always better to convert the files to WAV before burning to ensure the quality.


#5

Originally posted by ShadowBlaster
And the quality depends of you proc speed…

Er, excuse me? proc (read processor) speed has NO impact on the quality whatsoever. Did you mean something else?

anyway it is always better to convert the files to WAV before burning to ensure the quality.

You CANT burn WMAs without decoding to wav. What Nero hides from you is the intermediate process - so you feel that it is burning on-the-fly. Audio tracks are always out of WAV files.

What of course is advantageous by converting to WAV is that you can apply filters, noise reduction etc. But do that on a decompressed WMA and you’ll get even worse sounding tracks.

WMA ia a yuck format with terrible artifacts.


#6

Obviously your everything but Expert.
What I meant with the proc (yes, processor) speed thing, is that if your processor is not fast enough to decompress to wav and burn on the fly (old processors) you’ll get your songs with glitches… the same goes for mp3. That’s why I’m saying that IT IS ALWAYS BETTER to first turn your mp3/wma/whatever-lossy-compressed files to wav before burning TO FREE THE PROCESSOR from the decompressing task while burning, thus avoid glitches…
OBVIOUSLY you are new to this burning stuff and you have never dealed with older processors and older ways of burning. I have no one of these problems with my actual machine, but can’t you see that NOT everyone who read cdfreaks have powerful p4 machines???

Think before speak… or write.

And btw, once again, obviously are one of those anti-Microsoft guys who don’t give credit to it for the few cool things it does. WMA 8 is an excellent format, much more better than MP3 (speaking of quality and space required). Read, hear… then speak… or write.


#7

Hey, calm down, there’s no point in shouting (using caps) :slight_smile: All of us have different views and hence we’re all here.

Originally posted by ShadowBlaster
What I meant with the proc (yes, processor) speed thing, is that if your processor is not fast enough to decompress to wav and burn on the fly (old processors) you’ll get your songs with glitches… the same goes for mp3. That’s why I’m saying that IT IS ALWAYS BETTER to first turn your mp3/wma/whatever-lossy-compressed files to wav before burning TO FREE THE PROCESSOR from the decompressing task while burning, thus avoid glitches…

I think you’ve got this wrong. This is how it goes - whether you decompress using a 386 machine or a P4, the output wav will be bit-by-bit identical if you use the same decoder - so processing speed has no effect on the file quality, which you mentioned.

And we’re talking digital here, so the time factor Cannot cause glitches in sound - I think the experts on this forum can add to this if they want.

If the writer has buffer underrun protection, then no matter how much time it takes for decompressing, you can still burn CDs reliably on the fly.

Originally posted by ShadowBlaster
OBVIOUSLY you are new to this burning stuff and you have never dealed with older processors and older ways of burning.

Wanna change your opinion now? :bigsmile:

Originally posted by ShadowBlaster
And btw, once again, obviously are one of those anti-Microsoft guys who don’t give credit to it for the few cool things it does. WMA 8 is an excellent format, much more better than MP3 (speaking of quality and space required). Read, hear… then speak… or write.

I dont agree with this at all. WMA is by no means even remotely transparent. FYI, these are the best known formats:

  • Musepack
  • AAC
  • OGG

and so on…


#8

And since we’re talking about WMA here, Corona is worth giving a look. Haven’t got my hands on an encoder yet.

See, I’m not all that anti-M$ :bigsmile: