Nero and maddog cdrw cannot burn

vbimport

i just installed MDcdrw52x24x52 … with the nero 5. express software but it wont burn , i dont always get an error but sometimes it says fixation failed … it reads disks fine , I have it set as slave to my original cr rom , i was using memorex cd-rw rewritable disks 1-4x speed ??? im really at a loss as to what im doing wrong , its for pictures , im choosing on express data,add , burn … any help will be appreciated :bow:

Your CD-RW media is the original type. CD-RW media comes in three generations - the original type, which stops at 4x, High Speed, which goes up to 10x (and no higher, so far as I remember), and Ultra Speed, which is certainly capable of 32x operation, though some Ultra Speed discs have a lower maximum speed. The three generations each have a different formulation of the recording layer.

No drive is capable of writing a higher media generation properly, as it doesn’t know how to write that media correctly - I’ve got a Plextor SCSI CD-RW which is a High Speed drive (capable of 10x operation on CD-RW). That drive won’t write Ultra Speed media properly - if, indeed, it tries to write it at all! I don’t have any US CD-RW media to try - I make very little use of CD-RW media.

More controversial is the issue of whether drives of a higher generation are capable of writing lower generation media correctly. To an extent this is probably drive dependent - it depends how well a drive is set up to work with the original 4x maximum CD-RW media. I have heard of particular allegations of incompatibility between High Speed drives and the original 4x CD-RW media. This issue is supposedly worst if you’re trying to write that media both in a more modern drive and a 4x maximum drive.

High Speed CD-RW media seems to cause little to no problems in Ultra Speed drives. Ricoh 10x High Speed CD-RW media seems to work fine in my NEC ND-2500A (which is an Ultra Speed drive, but only capable of a relatively lowly 16x maximum speed on CD-RW - this drive is far more optimised as a DVD writer).

Your new drive is Ultra Speed capable - 24x on CD-RW. Your 4x media is probably rather old (as well as slowing your drive to a fraction of the speed it is capable of). If it’s Memorex, it might well be CMC Magnetics media, which is a brand that some regard as of somewhat iffy quality - I was once given a 4x Memorex CD-RW which was CMC Magnetics, and decided not to use it other than as as an example of original CD-RW media for test purposes.

Putting all this together - I’d be inclined to try some new Ultra Speed CD-RW media of a quality brand - or possibly High Speed CD-RW media of a quality brand (Ultra Speed can still be rather expensive). If it works, then not only have you got some reliable media, but your drive will work much faster as well!

David