Nero and AA selecting wrong drive to burn on?

HI, I have come to my wits end trying to figure this out. I recorded my CD last month, installed a new LiteOn and went to burn my CD’s. Now, the drive that came up to burn on was my Atapi one, the cdrom that just reads, not the LiteOn LTN526. So, I kinda panicked, but for some reason, I just kept following the steps in both proggies. CD’s burned fairly well, except when Nero crashed and we know that causes problems.

Anyway, what gives? I just checked my BIOS<it says, LTN526 is master and Atapi is slave on same IDE cable and both are jumpered Cable Select. My OS is Windows XP HOME. I am sure it is something simple, but don’t think changing the letters would do it, but maybe. Will await your expertise, hope we can resolve this, thanks for listening, assisting, psingman

[QUOTE=psingman;1951361]HI, I have come to my wits end trying to figure this out. I recorded my CD last month, installed a new LiteOn and went to burn my CD’s. Now, the drive that came up to burn on was my Atapi one, the cdrom that just reads, not the LiteOn LTN526. So, I kinda panicked, but for some reason, I just kept following the steps in both proggies. CD’s burned fairly well, except when Nero crashed and we know that causes problems.

Anyway, what gives? I just checked my BIOS<it says, LTN526 is master and Atapi is slave on same IDE cable and both are jumpered Cable Select. My OS is Windows XP HOME. I am sure it is something simple, but don’t think changing the letters would do it, but maybe. Will await your expertise, hope we can resolve this, thanks for listening, assisting, psingman[/QUOTE]

IDE doesn’t like CS jumper…one has to be master and one slave jumper when using the same cable-this goes for all IDE type devices HDD or CD/DVD devices that use IDE connectors…try that first and check device manager to see if you can see the drive and if they are DMA or PIO settings as well…

Only time you don’t need to set the jumper if it is the sole device on the IDE cable…also make sure it is 80 pin cable as well…

Hi, well, then over 100 sites on the Internet and some friends who also used Cable Select are giving out the wrong info. Before I added the new drive both were on CS. See, the scary thing is, how can the software think a read only device can burn a CD. Wow, if you really think about it, this would put hardware and software engineers back to the Stone Ages.

I will give you an example, if I write a song called Burn CD Burn and put it up on the Net and you go to access it and listen to it, but the title is completely wrong but the words and the music are the same, that is just not right. The fact that the proggie scours my 2 CD devices and chooses the one that is read only is more than not all right. The fact that it actually burns correctly is even scarier. The drive lettering must have something to do with it, but that still doesn’t explain why it scans the hardware and chooses that drive. Anyway, hope we can get this ironed out or at least explained, as I am sure that this has happend to others, thanks for helping, psingman

If nero is crashing, you might want to download the latest version for whatever series you have.

Secondly, when you start nero it usually starts the ‘new compilation’, so click cancel, then at the top of the screen select your burner driver. Then select ‘new’ on the top left, and select what you want to do.

About setting master slave I have found that some drives will work better using master/slave and others using c/s so try both to see what works best aslo for cable select make sure your using the 80 wire cables or it wont work properly

To be perfectly honest, even my helpful tech says it makes no sense. Somehow the drives have renamed themselves for some reason. He said that I need to get copies of all the installing and reinstalling and send them to this one dept. in Microsoft that handles these matters. He said that should shut down their engineering area for a few weeks.

I appreciate your assistance but a few people have not been very understanding about my searching for help on this malfuncition. In fact they keep telling me to do all these things that I already said that I had proceeded with. I am not much of a computer person, but I know there is someone who knows what occurred. Frankly, that is all I want right now, an answer to how it happened. Thanks for all, psingman