Nero 8 updater deletes manuals from retail CD install!

Installed Nero 8 at a clients house for him and than updated… The updater requires uninstalling the retail first which the stupid thing deleted the help manuals! So I than go and download the help files and they don’t extract to the proper directories! I gave up attempting to install the manuals when I figured out I would have to figure out where each one goes manually and install them manually especially since next update will probably just delete them again :frowning:

So I finally told the client take that crap software back because he will be stuck with the old version if he doesn’t want to lose his manuals. So for the first time I had to recommend to a client to go get Roxio at least it has manuals and doesn’t lose them on updates!

I swear the developers of Nero are total incompetents! Majority of users need their help files and manuals and wouldn’t know how to put them in the right directory! And why the hell is the Nero 8 updater deleting the manuals on uninstall? Nero 7 didn’t I could do a retail CD install than update and still have all the manuals where they were suppose to be. Nero 8 is total and utter crap for the average user since the manuals are not to be included with the program.

Bear in mind that you can always download the manuals from Nero site and installem or after upgrade you can install the manuals from retail version.

Hi :slight_smile:
I have had no such problems using the “All in one package”.
Downloaded from here.

The “all-in-one package” installs PDF files in a new folder named Manuals. The Original install of Nero 8 from the retail disk installs a chm file in each module folder. So, the manuals are certainly available - just not from the Help menu in each module! If I had known this I would have saved the manuals before cleaning off the disk version - save myself a 20 MB download - and had the chm files callable from each module. The “all-in-one package” install DOES [B]NOT[/B] WORK CORRECTLY!

[QUOTE=KenJ58;1931836]The “all-in-one package” installs PDF files in a new folder named Manuals. The Original install of Nero 8 from the retail disk installs a chm file in each module folder. So, the manuals are certainly available - just not from the Help menu in each module! If I had known this I would have saved the manuals before cleaning off the disk version - save myself a 20 MB download - and had the chm files callable from each module. The “all-in-one package” install DOES [B]NOT[/B] WORK CORRECTLY![/QUOTE]

Yep that is the problem… Nero is too damn cheap to do a proper install for their software… First they remove it from the software to claim it’s for the file size! What a damn laugh when a file size is over 100MB in size that few extra MB isn’t going to make any difference. They are just being a poor support company that won’t put the proper documentation into their software at all. Claim it is for download size than just use a zip archive to dump it into a single folder with no links to the files at all from their start menu or their software help.

I tried a re-install from the v8 disk, hoping to deselect all but the user manuals, but the installer saw the newer version and refused to go any further.

As a work-around, I may install the disk on a retired machine long enough to collect the proper help files. Meanwhile, a lot of my satellite bandwidth has been used up for the month!