Nero 8 and activation?

Hi

I am thinking about buying Nero 8. Does it require some form of activation?

Thanks
NBK

bump

Well, today I reinstalled my copy of Nero 8 after afresh install of vista and I actually got a systray icon telling me my Nero 8 was allready in use?? Then I got a question if I was using Nero on more than 1 system or was I reinstalling on the same system. I checked reinstalling on the same system and that was it. I was a little surprised myself but no biggy because it’s working now.
So it seems the answer to your question is yes.

Yes the new V8 version does use activation.
And it also use patents to check if you are
trying to use the Same License on More Than
1 Computer at the same time. So basically it
is now “install on one computer only”

Is that the file C:\program files\common files\Nero\Shared\NL3\NeroPatentActivation.exe for?

This explains about the patents feature
http://www.nero.com/eng/support-faq.html?s=sub&t=Activation

[QUOTE=85rx7;1964570]This explains about the patents feature
http://www.nero.com/eng/support-faq.html?s=sub&t=Activation[/QUOTE]

Thanks
NBK

[quote=Neoxellos;1959455]Well, today I reinstalled my copy of Nero 8 after afresh install of vista and I actually got a systray icon telling me my Nero 8 was allready in use?? Then I got a question if I was using Nero on more than 1 system or was I reinstalling on the same system. I checked reinstalling on the same system and that was it. I was a little surprised myself but no biggy because it’s working now.
So it seems the answer to your question is yes.[/quote] You are correct, Nero now " Calls Home" on activation.:iagree: I dont have a problem with this, software developers have the right to enforce their EULA which you agreed to when you bought the program.

[QUOTE=alan1476;1975461]You are correct, Nero now " Calls Home" on activation.:iagree: I dont have a problem with this, software developers have the right to enforce their EULA which you agreed to when you bought the program.[/QUOTE]

People do not agree to anything when they buy the program. Any agreement comes on installation. Ever tried to get your money back if you disagreed with an EULA?

Cheers

DrT

[quote=DrTeeth;1975938]People do not agree to anything when they buy the program. Any agreement comes on installation. Ever tried to get your money back if you disagreed with an EULA?

Cheers

DrT[/quote]
No I have not, but I have got my money back from good software companys even after installing it.:iagree: I should have said in my post above

software developers have the right to enforce their EULA which you agreed to when you [B]installed [/B]the program.

after the 3rd update of V8 something odd happens to my V8 after update installation of the last version 8.2.8.0 even re-enter several times the key it just won’t accept it and saying in my face its a trial version buy a licence blah blah. Funny though the last two updates outomatically copied the key on the box but this last one just didn’t. Retyped it and works after that but next time I open Nero there comes the warning again That I need a licence. Tried install and re-install to no avail. Might be because of this EULA. So now back to V8.1.1.4.

[quote=yoko666;1964499]Is that the file C:\program files\common files\Nero\Shared\NL3\NeroPatentActivation.exe for?[/quote]That’s my understanding. I was having some problems and deleted that file. The problems stopped, but program operation wasn’t affected that I’ve noticed.

Not that I’m in any way advising anybody else to delete it! :wink:

I guess you deleted it after activation. Lol
otherwise you know the result. :cool:

I unwittingly wasted several activations when initially installing Nero 8 back in October, not realizing that tabs are kept on each activation.

The problem had to do with Nero SmartStart and Vista…initially, SmartStart refused to load, displaying instead an error message. More than a bit frustrated, I reloaded Vista from an Acronis backup two or three times, and attempted Nero installation again each time…eventually the issue was ironed out.

Last week, a major system problem surfaced, and I finally gave up, reformatted, and repartitioned my main hard drive.

A completely fresh install of Vista was put into place, and things went well until installing Nero 8. A “Patent Activation Failed” screen appeared, informing me that I had activated the software one time too many. This marvelous nag screen also informed me that I was apparently trying to use Nero on more than one computer (interesting, as I only have one system), and it encouraged me to pony up an extra 40 to 50 bucks to purchase yet another license…no way in bloody hell.

The “we know what you’re up to” nag screen did provide an email address so I could dispute this with Nero (patent.activation@nero.com) if desired, and I sent a somewhat frustrated and less than cordial email. Three days later they did respond, the activation counter was reset, and Nero finally functioned the way it was supposed to. I’m still less than happy with this type of misguided protection scheme, and will think twice before ever purchasing another Nero product.

[QUOTE=William5916;1995105]I
to I’m still less than happy with this type of misguided protection scheme, and will think twice before ever purchasing another Nero product.[/QUOTE]

Amen, I am with you also. :iagree::bow:

Sadly if people keep defending these types of spyware in programs then there will be a lot more developers doing the same.

Shame on you ahead and you know where you can stick your spyware.

[QUOTE=GlamRocker;1995934]Sadly if people keep defending these types of spyware in programs then there will be a lot more developers doing the same.

Shame on you ahead and you know where you can stick your spyware.[/QUOTE]

:iagree::bow::bow:

It’s funny that when NERO prompted me to upgrade to V8, they never said anything about patent activation! Somehow I feel I’ve been fooled. I had no idea that every time I use NERO it phones home to report on me. What else does NERO report home?

I am also having problems, I have genuine Nero 8 and after installing it I registered with no problems…now a week later I did the nero updates (not upgrades) and I end up with a trial version…what the hecks going on there…trouble is I am used to Nero and really don`t want to change, but…anyone know another program that does the same job as Nero Vision…Marianne

Hi

OT: Does Nero 7 require some form of activation?

thanks
NBK