I thought I figured out the whole external enclosure story a while ago but I was wrong. All my PL3507 (2006/04 and 2005/12 firmware) and OX-912 based enclosures (firewire) were happliy hitting 25~6MB/s burst rate under Windows 2000/ Nero 6.6. No problem with 16x burning and verifying.
While these weeks, I built two new machines. Almost same configuration with XP SP2. One with Nero 7 and one with Nero 8. Firewire HDDs are hitting 32MB/s thus it is the old working PCI host card are fine in the new motherboard. Here is the nasty part: my old working external drives perform as follows:
- Nero 7: 21MB/s burst rate, top writing speed around 12x
- Nero 8: 15MB/s burst rate, top writing speed around 8~10x
Internal drives (Samsung 202N and NEC3540) are working fine.
Drives tested in external enclosures: Samsung 202N 1.01, EW164 BFGB
Now I vaguely recall that when I upgrade Nero 6.6 to Nero 7 on my old Win200 machine, there is a speed drop but I never paid much attention and tried to carefully test it.
I highly suspect Nero has newer version of wnaspi.dll and makes external firewire drives performance worse and worse for some reason. I think I will roll the Nero8 back to Nero 6.6 when I have time. Here I'd like to see whether ppl have their saying on similar stories. Thank you !!!