Nero 6?

Hi,

has anyone tested this feature

“recode project will, according to sources inside the company, be a DVD 9 to 5 module”

in Nero 6?

An

By the way, I found this screenshot:

http://www.nero.com/html/img/631947381471440.gif

Is this DVD Shrink?

An

Hmm… Very interesting.

I share your suspicion!

-Pete

i tried nero 6 the dvd9 to 5 option but the dvb does not work on my standalone player then i take a look at the produced dvd and the VIDEO_TS folder was written not the good way(Video_Ts)
so it wil not work on a standalone player…

Read the directions?

Try decrypting first.

Hi there,

in my opinion the resulting quality from Nero ReCode is much better than DVDShrink’s. Again, I tried it with SIX FEET UNDER S1 Disc 1 (a 9-to-5-nightmare in my opinion). The result was slightly worse than the InstantCopy-result (7.1.1), but without the MPEG-encoding-glitches IC7.1.1 produces with SixFeetUnder…

It still has some errors, and the handling isn’t as smooth as it should be, but I think it’s a worthy challenge to InstantCopy and DVD2One and DVDShrink.

Keep on rocking,

-:-), Jackie

Nero Recode is reported to have been written by the author of DVD Shrink who is now working for Nero. All from a thread at Doom9 forum, http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58298

That being the case, it looks as if DVDShrink itself is now defunct?

-P

Sounds good to me. At least the man’s getting paid now. And if anybody tries to steal his source codes again, he has Nero to back him up.

Had some very good results from Nero Recode. Takes longer than DVD Shrink 2.3, but seems to have the edge, possibly because you can check it to fill the disc. Had to make sure all subs are checked in the Menu selection, for the frame/button highlights to work. Would think this could be set as default in the profile set-up.

Is there a way to select whether to keep the menus or not in nero recode? Also, is there a way to not include any extras on the disc?

Have you tried it before asking that question? Nero 6’s recoder is very very similar to DVD Shrink (written by the author of DVD Shrink), I’m sure you can figure out the rest if you did some research.

[rant]what’s the world coming to? everybody’s so fscking lazy and expect other people to do the work for them instead of using google and mr. search. “but mr. mod, I’m a new member, I don’t know my way around.” so use the search button. damn.[/rant]

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]Have you tried it before asking that question? Nero 6’s recoder is very very similar to DVD Shrink (written by the author of DVD Shrink), I’m sure you can figure out the rest if you did some research.

[rant]what’s the world coming to? everybody’s so fscking lazy and expect other people to do the work for them instead of using google and mr. search. “but mr. mod, I’m a new member, I don’t know my way around.” so use the search button. damn.[/rant] [/B]

Yes I have tried it actually! And FYI I have never used DVD Shrink before, so it being similar to DVD Shrink is of no help to me. I am trying to do some research, the problem being that nero recode is new software and therefore its harder to find information on. Ive tried google and search and not found anything, so no need to get all stressed about it. It you actually know the answer, you couldve just posted it instead of that rant and it wouldve taken you a lot less time. Would it really be that big of a deal to have done that?

Methinks you need to relax a little? I just asked a question about a piece of software its not like ive really done anything seriously wrong is it? How can this be such a big deal to you? Maybe you should be more tolerant in welcoming newbies to your boards because you were a newbie to this stuff once

Originally posted by slysy
Methinks you need to relax a little? I just asked a question about a piece of software its not like ive really done anything seriously wrong is it? How can this be such a big deal to you? Maybe you should be more tolerant in welcoming newbies to your boards because you were a newbie to this stuff once

Indeed, we were all newbies before, feel welcome to our board slysy, Stoner has been warned about this before, and this is his first public warning.

Nevermind anyway I found the answer, someone posted this on the forum talking about nero recode

Picture quality is good however on movies of 2.5 hours plus id rather resample just the movie than the whole disk.

So I assume that it is impossible to only copy the movie without menus.

That being the case, it looks as if DVDShrink itself is now defunct?

Looks like the answer is: not at all! Both DVDShrink and Nero’s Recode (beta) are free products, by the same talent, so there’s no real competition between them…and from the comments on that other forum it sounds like Shrink wants to outdo Nero on his next version.

So the question now becomes… download Nero’s Recode now, or wait for the next DVDShrink?

Nero’s Recode is the first appearance of some of the popular requests that Shrink has been getting for months, which are very attractive - particularly:

• The option to replace unwanted extras with a nul screen rather than with still pics. This is the best news I’ve heard. And it gets better - you can make your own .bmp image to serve as the nul screen! (Though it is advised to make a solid black image if you want to use as little space as possible).

• The ability to automatically fill out the disc completely (maximize the available space that is) after guiding it manually to where it is “just about right.”

But on the downside, Nero’s Recode is a beta and it looks like everyone is complaining that:

• By default it unchecks the subtitle and audio tracks from the menus…but the subtitle tracks in the menus are essential because they are actually the “highlight” thingees. Workaround: You can create new default settings.

• That potential problem of accidentally erasing your whole hard drive if you’re foolish enough to have used the root directory as your working folder…the issue that Nero says they are fixing right now.

What I’ve decided to do - as a DVDShrink fan - is to download the Nero Decode now, even though it is not quite ready for prime time, with the intention to scrap it once the next DVDShrink comes out (in a few months? who knows?).

There’s no easy way to download only Decode though… I see that Nero’s Decode is one of the four executable downloads that comprise Nero’s new package (Nero split the package into four parts because the package as a whole is huge). The particular fourth which includes Decode also includes a software based DVD player that I do not want and some video editing tools which I absolutely do not want (not on my old computer! heck, that’s the main reason why I bought version 5.5 - so I wouldn’t be stuck with bloatware!).

It is my hope that it will be possible to only install the Nero Decode part…or, if it forces the installation of the other stuff, perhaps the other stuff can be deleted. There are tentative reports on the other forum that say that Nero Decode can work as a standalone program - it is just a freebie included along with the other stuff, it doesn’t depend on Nero 6, and it isn’t one of the parts that needs registration. You still need Nero or a Nero-like burning program, but apparently Nero 5.5 is fine in that regard (as would be any other burning program).

Truly, it may be easier just to wait for the next DVDShrink. But the nul screen is so tempting…

Thanks for that reply, you may be right - and I hope you are!

I suppose the continuance of Shrink as a stand alone will depend ultimately on the nature of the agreement between the publishers of Nero and Shink’s author** If they are paying him for his work, it will be counter to normal commercial practice to let him release a competing product, even - or especially - if that product is free. Look what happened to Derrow’s stuff when he fell into the clutches of 321.

It can be argued that Recode is merely the icing on the cake of the Nero product, its main thrust, of course, being CD/DVD burning, and AHead Software may take a more relaxed view as a result. Then again they may not even be paying him, in which case he has total autonomy.

Interesting, if incestuous, times!:wink:

-Pete

**Does anyone know his nationality? The Help file and his responses on the DVDShrink forum are in flawless English with a British syntax. On the other hand the point of contact seems to be Japan? For my money, he (or she) is English and the Japanese slant is the current domicile or a smokescreen to confuse authority. (Now someone tell me that the author is Japanese and has a first-class translator!:slight_smile: )

According to ddlooping @ digital-digest forums it appears that version 2.4 of DVD Shrink will be available shortly!

Hi all.

DVD Shrink development continues!!!

I have been informed by dvdshrink that the next release (v2.4) will be in available in a couple of weeks.
No details concerning the new features (if any) or fixed bugs are yet available.

What is the current thinking about Shrink v3.o b5 vs Nero Recode?

Here are my needs and impressions:

1. I rip/backup to Hardrive and also sometimes like to burn a backup. I have been doing full file rips with DVDDecrypter, and MM via Shrink and burn via Nero. However, I am now concluding there is no good reason to save menues and extras to either HD or DVD…it just takes up space and makes playback harder (have to push extra buttons on a remote or keyboard ). On the other hand quality is very important to me, especially on my HD back-up.

For these reasons (unless there are good reasons I am missing for doing it another way) I now want to BU MM only to HD with zero compression using the best rip available (I just want a totally lossless MM rip). Then as needed I will compress/edit that BU to burn to DVD.

I am finding the best way to do this is to rip and re-author in Shrink for MM only for my rip to HD. Then, compress and burn to DVD my second BU in one step with nero recode/nero6.

Here are my questions/concerns:

1. I find some rips from DVDD and Shrink still contain some regions, PU’s, and other little issues. I can clean these in IfoEdit, but I would really prefer not to. I am considering running AnyDVD WHILE ripping. Would this enable EXTRA clean-up, or mess things up? Another option would be to run AnyDVD as I burn from HD with Recode. (I have seen that many use AnyDVD with Recode to go silmultaniously rip and burn.). What is the feeling about this??

2. In Recode, I have a problem that I get stuck on the dummy screen of “disabled” items during playback. I sometimes cannot get a movie to play because these get in the way. Has anyone else had that problem? I do not think this is the same as the subtitle problem, because there are no click-points on the disables scenes.

Thanks for the help.

If you all have notice, when you use Recod from Nero, by default, the movies is set at 80 %. Dvdskrink is set by default to 68%.

The menus in Recode are down to 56% While Skrink was at 71%. I think that the program is the same, or that´s what I read from Doom9. Im pretty satified with it considering it´s still a beta verson and of course for free.

john