Nero 6

Hi. I’m currently using nero 6, is there any reason to update to version 9?

Thanks

There are many aspects to a complete Nero install. It all depends on what parts of Nero you use.

I don’t know exact details, but newest burners needs some special instructions to be implemented in the burning software. If you are not planning to buy a new drive, then you can continue to use nero 6, but if you get a recent drive there is a probability that some features are not correctly implemented in the version you are using, so it is needed to use a more updated burning software.

If you don’t want update to nero, there are many excellent (some also free) alternatives, like ImgBurn :slight_smile:

If you don’t want update to nero, there are many excellent (some also free) alternatives, like ImgBurn

Well kinda. That’s why details are needed on how Nero is used. To somehow equate ImgBurn as a replacement to Nero is ignoring the total scope of this often maligned suite.

I’m a long time Nero fan (more than happy with my stable version of 7).

I like and use Nero Vision, Nero Recode, Nero Wave Editor, Showtime, DriveSpeed, and ImageDrive to name a few.

When creating audio CD’s with Nero Express I like being able to easily access Nero’s audio editor and numerous filters (trim, equalizer, fade in/out etc) right from the main screen. The project then can be saved as a Nero image, mounted in Imagedrive then played to see if it suits my needs.

I also like the ability to save complete CDs as a Nero Image for archiving.

When burning DATA AVI DVD/CDs I’ve also found that this option works well for problem AVIs.

Lately I’ve been having some fun with this:

ImgBurn has it’s place, I use it all the time, but it’s not a Nero replacement.

I’m still happily using Nero 6, have had no problems and plan to continue using it as long as it works well. Nero 9 is over 10 times the size of Nero 6, and I suspect it uses more resources too. I’ve avoided newer Nero versions for that reason and will continue to avoid them as long as Nero 6 does what I need it to do.

One mandatory update is if you switch to Vista you need at least Nero 7.

Thanks for the replies, the overall opinion I get from reading several different sites is that people feel that version 6 was the last good version. And the general opinion is negative for versions after that it seems.

My impression is that while nero 7 was a bit crappy, nero 8 reached maturity. On the other hand I never used the whole suite after version 6, only Nero Burning Rom.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2295728][B]My impression is that while nero 7 was a bit crappy,[/B] nero 8 reached maturity. On the other hand I never used the whole suite after version 6, only Nero Burning Rom.[/QUOTE]
Nero 7 (7.10.1.2) works just fine. I doubt that I’ll ever update as it does all I need from it without any problems.

FYI I read in another thread that Nero6 will work in Vista if Vista is run in XP mode. I have no Vista experience and don’t know for sure, but that’s what another Vista user posted.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2295910]Nero 7 (7.10.1.2) works just fine. I doubt that I’ll ever update as it does all I need from it without any problems.[/QUOTE]If memory serves me right, the first versions of Nero 7 were quite buggy, compared to the first versions of both Nero 6 and 8. That does not mean by all means that Nero 7 was crappy. I might even be getting senile :slight_smile: