Nero 6 won't rip

:confused:

hi,

i can copy whole discs in Nero 6, but cannot rip individual tracks. as soon as i try to do this, i get a message like this:

“Error while reading. Disc may be corrupt”

yet the same disk - Memorex cd-rw 4x700MB - will happily support the self-same entire cd being copied!

at wits end - help please?

:frowning:

kr

To: techsupport@nero.com

hello,

i bought nero 6 some months ago.

whenever i try the ‘rip cd tracks’ option, i get an “Error - Disc May Be Corrupt” warning box, coming up on my screen

so this option doesn’t function at all

it does this with any cd - these disks are fine to listen to, they are not corrupt

the cd-rw disks i use have all worked in other formats - they are not corrupt either

please advise

kr

[this was sent after visiting the nero6 site <www.nero.com> and following their online tutors - to nowhere very quickly

:rolleyes:

Audio CDs ?

hi Ghosters -

yes, audio CDs / ‘CD-RW Memorex 700MB, 1x-4x’

i just found someone on the net with practically the same complaint - does this mean i need to purchase an ‘mp3PRO license’ ? i wonder what this is?

thanks for the glossary which i saved - is there anything in particular there which might help me, please - does this lead back to the mp3 license question, perhaps?

kr

plus…

if i record cd’s to file - then burn the files to cd-rw, i can only play them on the rom (i think i did this in the mixed media/doc mode)

if i record cd’s to analogue cassette, then record the cassette to cd-rw, it plays back on rom, a stand-alone cd player, and a ‘daytec’ stand-alone dvd/cd player.

so these machines recognise the cd-rw disks all right, it must have something to do with the nero formating ? ? ?

kr

mp3pro sux. get free audio plugs for nero @ http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org/
just put the dll files in \Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\AudioPlugins
insert CD. launch nero express/more/save tracks/choose the drive/highlight the CD or access internet database if you need to/selected CD/ yes or no to create database/choose Lame mp3 as output/settings/alt preset standard/ok/options/no jitter correction…go
also, are you able to rip commercial audio CDs ? cos these memorex CDs are home-made, no ?

some success

:slight_smile:

hi,

and thanks Ghosters: i will take away and digest.

this is what happened this evening:

a) downloaded nero updates last night
b) allowed nero to build database on hard drive
c) allowed nero to ‘search internet’ option to identify tracks/artists

then the warning box vanished and i was able to rip, however -

the ‘compilation’ concept is a bit of a joke presently, since you go to all the trouble to rip favourites from different albums, in desired order, and nero promptly regroups/lumps all tracks from the same albums together - so in effect, the software is in control. that can’t be right, can it?

secondly, a lot of contemporary music has no real ‘pause’ between tracks, even though the track listing suggests this; on at least one changeover there is an unpleasant, momentary ‘glitch’ sound effect where nero cannot handle this - because the software cannot fade in/out, and neither can you, manually.

is there software / nero upgrades which give the user more control, please?

thanks for all your help - i also post this for fellow newbies struggling with nero 6: the instruction booklet is pretty sparse, to say the least!

kr

hmm, i have heard others complaining re: the compilation function. never use it myself.
ive just switched to audiograbber to rip to mp3. very neat too it is. has alot of funtions that work :wink:
as to your momentary ‘glitch’ sound, there are so many things that can cause this…i’d be here all day listing them :slight_smile: … from original mp3/audio file quality to your burner to the software to…

If you rip the tracks to MP3 (losing quality by the way), then you will get those clicks.
You have to rip to WAV format.

the ‘compilation’ concept is a bit of a joke presently, since you go to all the trouble to rip favourites from different albums, in desired order, and nero promptly regroups/lumps all tracks from the same albums together - so in effect, the software is in control. that can’t be right, can it?

If you usually make a lot of compilations, I’d suggest a better program than Nero. Something like Feurio! will take care of the pauses and gapless discs much better than Nero.

thanx Ghosters + minix,

i found that mp3 was about the closest i could find to a ‘universally recognised file’; when i tried other formats my rom could play them but not the tv’s dvd or a standalone cd player - only the rom

mp3 works in the rom + tv dvd (daytec) but not the standalone (argos)(please don’t laugh) [lol]

it’s no worries cos the nero will do the job i bought it for - transferring analogue material to disk, but i miss the control, the manually fading in and out - that just ain’t there in nero: i’m pretty sure there is software around which will let you do this, though?

Feurio? - will this allow you to make your own selections, and not have the software overrule the running order?

didn’t realise mp3 lost quality/sound either?

sorry - too many newbie questions!

:wink:

thanks again guys -

kr

in nero all you need do once your files/tracks are in the cd compilatiuon pane is drag the track up or down to place them in any play-order you like. does this not owrk for you ?

i mean, originally you posted a ripping problem, now you have a play-order, create-compliation issue…is the ripping issue solved at least ? :slight_smile: