Nero 6 unable to burn DVD-RW

I am at a loss trying to burn using Nero Vision 2.0.1.9 to Memorex Professional DVD-RW (RITEK004V11) using my Liteon LDW-411S.

Nero recognises the drive OK, and I can use the disk using Sonic MyDVD but not with Nero. I need to use Nero to insert chapter points, but after all its preparing, transcoding and burning it still comes back saying the burn was unsuccessful - and would I like an error log. I have these but they are too tecky, and despite sending them to Ahead, they seem worse than useless.

Any ideas/help gratefully received. Thanks!

Do you have Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD installed?

I have been having major problems getting Nero 6.0.0.19 to write disks - all sorts of various errors. I removed Pinnacle, cleaned registry, now Nero works fine - Must be some sort of conflict going on, I am doing further testing to try and find out why :a

L8ters

Bill

Thanks Bill

I do have Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD. I have uninstalled it in the past and it had no effect but how do you flush out the registry because I know after I had uninstalled it I still got Pinnacle messages asking if Iwanted to ‘fix the driver’?

Many thanks in advance

Originally posted by rcacraman
[B]Thanks Bill

I do have Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD. I have uninstalled it in the past and it had no effect but how do you flush out the registry because I know after I had uninstalled it I still got Pinnacle messages asking if Iwanted to ‘fix the driver’?

Many thanks in advance [/B]

Hi,

Theres no easy way to flush the registry other than search for the entries and delete them manually.

I have now found a way to get Pinnacle Instant CD\DVD version 8 and Nero 6.0.0.19 to happily live together :smiley:

All the steps in the below process may not be needed but its the one I tried and it did work :-

1. Un-install all CD writing software - In my case it was Nero, Pinnacle and RecordNow DX - Reboot.
  2. Delete the following folders if still present - “C:\Program Files\Ahead” “C:\Program Files\Pinnacle” “C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software” - if “C” is where you installed them.
  3. Clean out the registry - if you are not sure how to do this find one of the many guides and be careful! I searched for the keywords “ahead” “pinnacle” & “veritas” and deleted the entries I found.
  4. Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    More info can be found here - http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q270/0/08.ASP - Reboot.
  5. Now re-install the Pinnacle Suite - Reboot as requested.
  6. I could never get Pinnacle Instant Drive to work, it say’s its mounted the image, but the virtual drives remains blank! Pinnacle state its a known issue - documented here - http://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=L-A8fqXg&p_lva=176&p_faqid=2235&p_created=1048686431&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1pbnN0YW50ZHJpdmUmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=
    But it still does not work, so I disable it. Go to device manager and disable “VOB Instant Drive Controller” - mine is under SCSI and Raid Controllers. - reboot.
  7. Now re-install Nero - reboot.
  8. You will now get that Pinnacle check message asking you if you want to fix the issue - SAY NO - and put a tick in the dont ask me again!
  9. Now re-install any other CD/DVD writing software you have, if the Pinnacle Check comes up again at any time say “NO”.
  10. Nero & Pinnacle should now be fully working.

I hope the above helps and good luck :cool:

L8ters

Bill.

Many thanks Bill - I uninstalled Pinnace as you suggested and also Nero then reinstalled Nero and managed to get it to burn to DVD-RW!

BTW I found out where that Pinnacle driver message comes from
c:\windows\system32\PSDrvcheck.exe. There are several PSDrv files in system32 folder. I am a little unsure about deleting anything in this folder so the other way is to do Start/run then type in msconfig in the box and click OK. Select the Startup tab and untick the IWCTRL box , PSDrvcheck box and Instantdrive box which are all Pinnacle devices (even though it is meant to be uninstalled ?!)

I will try your solution as I would want Pinnacle and Nero to sit together.

Many thanks Bill:D

No Worries - Glad to help out :slight_smile:

I too saw the files you mentioned but left them alone.

I really wish software companies would only install their own files in their own directory rather than splatter them about all over the place - its really annoying. I know it would probably take up more space, but at least when you delete the directory it would be gone. Same goes for the registry, why does software even when un-installed leave useless entries.

I wonder if theres a utility that trackes everything a program installs and alters, so that when you remove that program it deletes every file it installed and every registry entry it creates?

That would be my next purchase - hehe

L8ters

Bill.

I also have the same problem same burner 411S bios FSO7 same nero version but Verbatim media DVD+RW x4
Nero accepts the compilation and to burn data but when burning (apparently says burner idle)
then Nero does not close the session, it freezes and I have no option but to reboot
The end result is a blank DVD

Bill - I couldn’t agree more - all application software should be in one folder and Uninstall should uninstall everything the application put in. OK so some files are common but Windows XP should be able to track which applications use the same files when installing them, so when the user uninstalls XP should be able to say “Oh, I won’t delete this file because this othe appication also uses the same file name” … instead we are somehow meant to know this.

Coming back to Nero freezing - try uninstalling Nero and all other burning software (Pinnacle, Sonic MyDVD which came with the 411S) then go into msconfig as my earlier post and untick the boxes I mentioned above … reoot then re-install just Nero. Try reburning again and see if that works. If it does you can try reinstalling MyDVD (I haven’t reinstalled mine as you can’t insert chapters after you have downloaded which is crazy - it means you have to decide whilst downloading your film where you want your chapters to be).

Good Luck - let us know how you get on

:slight_smile:

@Wild Bill
your workaround works great, tnx
cu 8ung