Nero 6 copy cd/audio? 2 ?'s

vbimport

not sure if this should be in audio forum but with nero 5.5xxx i had all items checked on the read options tab except the isrc.

anyhow i now see version 6 is different in its choices so wondering if most check both under the audio cd section?
how about under the data section when making data copies? i seem to remeber on there older web site they had these questions answered with a pdf file and i believe they had all checked.

one last thing i am on xp home w/1giger P3 and 512 of ram using plextor 2410a and toshiba m1612 dvdrom. when i i burn i burn at 16x which has given me best results but on audio reading choices i have both my drives setup read speed as “maximum”.

should i or would i get better results slowing down drive read speed? i copy to image file using burner for both.

thanx for any help.

Originally posted by chevysales
not sure if this should be in audio forum but with nero 5.5xxx i had all items checked on the read options tab except the isrc.

??
Why would anyone want to “Ignore read errors”?
the only reason I see is to avoid buffer underruns if you burn on the fly.

anyhow i now see version 6 is different in its choices so wondering if most check both under the audio cd section?

Do you want index marks? Enable it.
I don’t know what “all subchannel data” is because I don’ t have the Nero help, but I guess it’s CD-Text and/or maybe CD+G info.

Enable those subchannels options if your computer/drives don’t have any problem with them. You won’t lose anything.

how about under the data section when making data copies?

I don’t copy data discs, so I hope someone can help you, but it’s obvious that you have to disable “Ignore read errors” and “Write defect sectors” unless you’re copying a protected disc (those options are only useful for that).
I suspect that “Read in raw mode” and “subchannels” are only useful again with protected discs.

should i or would i get better results slowing down drive read speed? i copy to image file using burner for both.

Yes, you might get better results with slower speeds. Audio data can be read with errors and no warning.
Using Nero helps nothing.

You have excellent options to control your reading quality with PlexTools, EAC or Feurio!
PlexTools will detect C2 errors and repeat reading until data is good. Number of errors will be reported.
EAC will do the same but only suspicious positions will be showed.
Feurio will report the number of C2 errors.

Both Plextor 24x and Toshiba 1612 can report C2 errors.
You will see that the number of errors will lower at 8x speed than at 40x (if the disc is scratched enough to cause reading C2 errors).

PS: I’ve just seen that Nero enables “ignore audio reading errors” if you choose the Audio profile. Why? I have no idea.

thanx minix.

rite clicking the ignore option ssays the errors are hardly audible :wink:

and i believe the checking of the data stuff was for copy protection cd’s of sorts.

i never use index marks.

agian thanx i appreciate it.

Originally posted by chevysales
rite clicking the ignore option ssays the errors are hardly audible :wink:

That makes no sense.
Nero is wrong, and I didn’t explain myself very well.

When Nero says “Ignore read errors” in audio, it’s talking about BIG reading errors, such as when drive lost track and stops to reread again.

There’s no way Nero can say “I will ignore small errors hardly audible”, because those errors will be ignored ALWAYS (or a lot of times), even if you enable “Don’t ignore read errors”.
This is the nature of audio reading: there can be errors when reading and the drive and the software will know nothing about them.

So, that option in Nero only works with big errors when the drive isn’t able to retrive a sector.
In Nero 5 there was a box to select how many times you want to repeat the reading operation.
I don’t know how Nero 6 works: maybe it repeats reading until the sector can be read. If, finally, the sector can be read, it might contain errors -> this is when drive and Nero fail.
These are the kind of errors only detected with the programs I mentioned.

Having a Plextor drive, I, without doubt, would try PlexTools. As fast as Nero, and more accurate. You will learn which of your discs are in bad condition.

[B]

i never use index marks.
[/B]

Well, if the source disk contain index marks, and you disable the option, the copy will not be “exact”.
It’s useful for hidden tracks.
Besides, most discs have index-0 marks, where pauses are “stored” (negavite numbers in most players). If you disable this option, those pauses will be at the end of the previous track (no problem with this, but it’s not exactly the same).

As I said, if they can read without problems, you won’t lose anything.
In your case, reading index marks works without problem, but the Plextor only reads at 8x with this option. It’s said here:
http://www.feurio.de/English/cd_roms/frame_list_ide.html
“When reading with indexmarks, the drive only reads with max. 8x.”

So, you’ll lose speed. :stuck_out_tongue:

thanx for the extremely useful information :slight_smile:

i had used plextools for quite some time but if you search the plextor forum you will see the software seesm to give me a warning "
id51" in event viewer (xp home) to which nothing and i mean nothing other than removal of the software/not using it would stop it.

strange…
well, you still can use Feurio for high speeds. The demo is unlimited, and the burning engine is usually even better.
It will only report C2 errors, but it will give you an idea of the condition of your discs.

Just open Feurio CD-Writer -> CD copy tab.
Select the source and target drives, disable “Copy index-0 and index markers”, and simulate or burn.
Clicking “More Details” in the burning window will show current and average speeds.