Nero 6.3.1.17, NEC2500A -- selecting DVD write speed?

How can I select the DVD write speed with this version of Nero and this DVD drive?

I have some ultra cheap DVD-Rs from Microcenter (they’re labeled 1x-4x) that Nero thinks should be written at 4x; the write process seems to go OK but the finished discs (movie backups made with DVDShrink) don’t work in either the NEC drive or in a Pioneer DVR-104 in another PC. They mount OK in Windows (you can see the disc volume name and the files), but when you try to play them the DVD player (WinDVD 4 and 5) hangs up until I eject the disc.

Not sure if it was the NEC drive or the media, I tried a TDK 2x -R disc and it burned fine, working on both of my PCs.

What I’m assuming here is that these cheapies aren’t any good at 4x; my Pioneer w/Nero will only burn them at 1x (it will do the TDKs at 2x), and I’ve burned 50+ of them on the Pioneer at 1x and they play great in PCs and standalones.

What’s driving me crazy, though, is Nero won’t let me pick any slower alternative drive speeds with the NEC2500! I have Nero on my PC at work with a Sony DRU-510A and I can select drive speeds; is this some kind of firmware limitation of the burner, some braindead Nero “optimization” or am I just thick?

I have the NEC flashed to 1.07 with the Dangerous Brothers Riplock-only firmware, and it seems to work OK with the 2x TDKs. I’m bringing home some Memorex 4x -Rs from work to see how they perform, but I think all of this would be moot IF I COULD JUST SELECT A SLOWER BURN SPEED.

Turn off dynamic write speed. This will allow nero to determine write speeds from the drives firmware instead.

Hey, thanks. I can’t imagine why dynamic write speed wouldn’t be something overridable by default – in other words, have Nero examine the blank media, consult the firmware table and then put the max speed for that media/drive combo in the drop down along with all the other speeds supported by the drive so you can pick your own speed.

Although I’ve liked Nero in the past and had good luck with it, I’ve become slightly annoyed with the emphasis on dumber and dumber users and more and more “automatic” features. Hiding the option for selecting slower write speeds just seems…well, dumb.

did it work?

I can see where why you would be frustrated.

Also, if you leave your CD tray open and start Nero, you can see all the speeds Nero supports with your recorder. Then put your media in and then see what speeds disappear. Those are the speeds that the media has locked out. It’s not all Nero’s fault. The dynamic writespeed off is actually a feature requested long ago if i’m not mistaken.

I’m pretty sure it hasn’t worked. I added my files, clicked burn and the dialog box gave me 1x, 2x, 2.4x, 4x. 2.4x and 1x aren’t possible with -R media and the 2500A, so I’m not entirely sure where that list came from.

I chose 2x and clicked burn. When prompted for media, I closed the drawer which had a shiny new “PLATINUM SERIES -R 1x-4x” blank in it. When the burn actually started, the “Writing to disc” dialog changed to 4x. Given the elapsed time and disk utlization from my media drive, I think it’s accurate.

I’m going to reboot and try it again, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work. This is on a new system I just built, so I haven’t gotten any other DVD writing software installed yet to compare with, but thusfar Nero’s autospeed feature isn’t turned off, and I’m makin’ coasters.

Upon further inspection, I think the problem is a mixed Nero and DVD blank issue. The blanks only list 4x as a possible speed (or at least Nero Info Tool only shows that speed). Hence, Nero only will write to them at that speed, regardless of what other speeds are selected or the registry setting mentioned above.

This would account for my Pioneer burning them at 1x; it can’t do 4x and Nero won’t burn them at 2x (which the drive can do on 2x capable media).

Nero is nominally doing the “right” thing by burning them at the only speed the disc claims compatibility with, but its still an irritant that I can’t go slower if I want to. I’ve never heard of writable optical media that can’t be written at speeds slower. Not that it doesn’t exist, but given the speed spans of today’s writers, 4x ONLY media seems unlikely.