Nero 6.3.0.3 and ND-2500a on "Used read buffer" when burning DVDs

OK, Nero is starting to seriously piss me off.
Half of the time it behaves exemplary, but then there is the other half…

The latest thing is that it gobbles up the read-buffer when burning DVDs like you would not believe.
It burns maybe 4-5 seconds, totally emptying the read buffer, stops the burning, fills the buffer - and starts over again.

As you can imagine, burning like this takes about twice the time it should.

Why?? I have an obscene amount of memory (2gb), and craploads of free disk-space for the buffer. And the CPU usages when burning is nominal.

Is there some proggy out there that could monitor the IDE bus for me and see if there is something going on there that makes Nero have to fight for the bus-time?

Not only does it take too long, it also makes an EXCELLENT coaster it would seem.
Burned a couple of DVDs just now, and on the surface there are clearly visible discolorations where and when ever the burn paused while Nero was screwing around with the buffer. :-/

Originally posted by Weebull
Not only does it take too long, it also makes an EXCELLENT coaster it would seem.
Burned a couple of DVDs just now, and on the surface there are clearly visible discolorations where and when ever the burn paused while Nero was screwing around with the buffer. :-/

Try using the defaul DVD-Video profile. I was having similar problems and that profile seemed to have cleared up everything.

Originally posted by IC_Light_Lvr
Try using the defaul DVD-Video profile. I was having similar problems and that profile seemed to have cleared up everything.

This was while burning data-DVDs.
However, when burning true video-DVDs I do use the default profile.
Not that there should be any difference as to how you burn the video-DVDs, just as long as there is a VIDEO_TS directory and nothing other than the actual vob, ifo and bup files are present in said directory. Everything else should be in the root folder.

about the buffer flunctuations, you should check whether the DMA settings are set ok for your drive. Instructions on how to nable DMA for your drives, including your hard disk drive, you will find here:

Enabling DMA in XP

Check mobo pci latency setting in bios if set to 32 try setting
@ 64 , might improve things

I started having this same exact problem today. Everything was fine last night. I didn’t change a thing between last night & today.