Nero 6.0.0.15: not enough space to burn the compilation

Hello people!

I had Nero 5.5.10.42 installed on my system.

Yesterday I downloaded the new version of Nero (6.0.0.15)
I tried to burn 698 Mb video on a 700Mb blank and it gave me an error that “there is not enough space for this compilation”!

I checked the free space by using the “i” button and it showed that the CD had 703 Mbytes available. No matter what I tried I couldn’t burn the CD. I tried some more blanks but it was all the same.

So I uninstalled Nero 6, and then discovered that you cannot get version 5.5.10.42 anymore. Instead there was an update: 5.5.10.50.

I downloaded and installed that, and guess what - the SAME error message.

So I looked a bit on the Internet and found 5.5.10.42 version again. Installed that and it worked immediately on the same very CD I tried the first time.

Then I experimented more and tried 6.0.0.11. It also worked normally!

My CD-RW drive is Plextor 48x24x24
I had standard ISO and “No multisession” options enabled.
I also had “Finalize the CD” and “disc-at-once” modes selected at all times, so please do not suggest me to check the parameters. I did it 1000 times (unless there are some hidden/not obvious settings somewhere else). The point is with the same parameters, versions 5.5.10.42 and 6.0.0.11 work, whereas 5.5.10.50 and 6.0.0.15 dont…

Comments anyone?

Yeap, the same problem here!
Upgrading from Nero 6.0.0.11 to 6.0.0.15 -> Not enough space to burn the compilation!
After downgrade back to 6.0.0.11 -> The same compilation written ok!

Writer Samsung SW-512 (52x24x52), Standard ISO, no multisession, DAO.

Don’t upgrade if you don’t need it. Nero is a buggy program.
Nero 5.5.10.50 and 6.0.0.15 have this problem.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12350

Originally posted by uncle.f
[B]Hello people!

I had Nero 5.5.10.42 installed on my system.

Yesterday I downloaded the new version of Nero (6.0.0.15)
I tried to burn 698 Mb video on a 700Mb blank and it gave me an error that “there is not enough space for this compilation”!

I checked the free space by using the “i” button and it showed that the CD had 703 Mbytes available. No matter what I tried I couldn’t burn the CD. I tried some more blanks but it was all the same.

So I uninstalled Nero 6, and then discovered that you cannot get version 5.5.10.42 anymore. Instead there was an update: 5.5.10.50.

I downloaded and installed that, and guess what - the SAME error message.

So I looked a bit on the Internet and found 5.5.10.42 version again. Installed that and it worked immediately on the same very CD I tried the first time.

Then I experimented more and tried 6.0.0.11. It also worked normally!

My CD-RW drive is Plextor 48x24x24
I had standard ISO and “No multisession” options enabled.
I also had “Finalize the CD” and “disc-at-once” modes selected at all times, so please do not suggest me to check the parameters. I did it 1000 times (unless there are some hidden/not obvious settings somewhere else). The point is with the same parameters, versions 5.5.10.42 and 6.0.0.11 work, whereas 5.5.10.50 and 6.0.0.15 dont…

Comments anyone? [/B]

Hello,

When Creating a disc you must leave space for the Track-in and Track out functions. The track functions creates a table of contents for the Disc. Without this Table your CD-Rom would have no way of locating the files on a disc.

Darrick
Nero
:smiley:

I had the same symtoms as above with 6.0.0.15 so I went back to 6.0.0.11. I even had the problem trying to burn a 648 MB ISO to a 650MB CD-RW - But did it successfully with 6.0.0.11 (And also with another program)

Originally Posted By DBady
When Creating a disc you must leave space for the Track-in and Track out functions. The track functions creates a table of contents for the Disc. Without this Table your CD-Rom would have no way of locating the files on a disc.

OK - but if Nero calculated this in previous versions (5.5.10.42 & 6.0.0.11), what happened? :confused:

I would consider not calculating Lead In and Lead Out a BUG in calculation of the compilation. After all - we are not all going to sit here and calculate how big these values are gonna be.
Especially when we expect to believe the Compilation Size Status Bar - especially if Nero did it correctly before these so called “Upgrades”:wink:

Same here. tried to burn a 697 mb compilation, but the message appears, and even the overburning menu didnt show up (DAO, no multisession).

Same error message here… and also, when I use the file browser and try to display the contents of my desktop it failes. When I click a couple of times on the desktop link, Nero quits completely. Older versions of Nero did not have this problem :frowning:

i too am suffering the “not enough space” problem, trying to burn a 699 meg file to a disc that has 703 megs. looks like i’m going back to 6.0.0.11… :a

Originally posted by studavis
i too am suffering the “not enough space” problem, trying to burn a 699 meg file to a disc that has 703 megs. looks like i’m going back to 6.0.0.11… :a

Hello,

We tested that issue this morning and that is currently a confirmed bug in the 6.0.0.15. We will work on this issue and hopfully have it resolved in the next web release.

Darrick
Nero TechSupport

And when do you release a new fixed version? September 30th? We can’t wait that longer… Many people will need to burn 698MB or so on a 700MB CD-R.
I had to burn my CD’s using burnatonce (what a lovely burning software)

DBady, check version 5.5.10.50 too - the same problems exists in that version as well - but did not exist in previous version 5.5.10.42.:slight_smile:

Thanks,

Rob

Wonderfull, so WTF do i get version 5.5.10.42 from :frowning:

Whoa - calm down:D

Use an FTP search engine - such as http://www.filesearching.com

enter nero551042.exe as a search and select whichever 13 MB file you wish.

Filesize after download should be 13.0 MB (13,658,378 bytes)

try this link: :wink:

ftp://ftp6.ahead.de/nero551042.exe

DOH :o
I knew there was one of those out there - just did not remember on which Nero FTP server.

Another bug the newest version of Nero introduced to me:
The InfoTool shows weird signs after the drives in the Configuration window. Don’t have that with older version of it… :Z

Here new nero 6.0.0.15 works well for my plexwriter devices.
I have to try now with my liteon and toshiba dvd recorder.
The test was a typical 81:40 min compilation on 80 min cdr disc of course.
I have using now Windows 98 Second Edition.

Originally posted by Lvsitano
And when do you release a new fixed version? September 30th? We can’t wait that longer… Many people will need to burn 698MB or so on a 700MB CD-R.
I had to burn my CD’s using burnatonce (what a lovely burning software)

Hello,

We normally don’t post a new version until the next month.
Please try working with this version until the next release or go back to your pervious version.

Darrick
Nero TechSupport

:eek: Oh, very nice answer… It seems it’s more important to Ahead to follow their release schedule that quickly releasing a new fixed version. Now I have to downgrade the version because Ahead only releases once a month?? No way :frowning:

Maybe they’re getting Microsoft’s annoying craze about having a specific date to release a software.

Well, I already made my decision. I lost all my faith in Nero and Ahead Software. I will start using the freeware “Burnatonce” and forget the bloatware Nero.

I have to agree with the Nero Dev team.

If they were to “Rush” a release to the public then they would risk releasing more bugs.

Developers are always under pressure to meet release deadlines and even when a fix is implemented a full testing process must be carried out to ensure that the fix does not have side effects.

Can you imagine the amount testing required to test nero from a developers point of view? It would be a nightmare!

It is development issues such as this that cause the bugs in the software in the first place. Additional pressure will only make things worse.

Put yourself in their shoes before you rant about their release procedure.

I bet you would be even more upset if they made this “Quick” release for you and it had other perhaps worse bugs.

I dont want to start a flame/rant war, I think it is important to think of the whole picture.

Just my 2 cents…